Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Mis-Fire

Steelman

Hi Folks, Problem with my 99 T reg 1.8 Focus. When warm, if you hammer down the accelerator, you get a hesitant mis-fire then it goes like a freight train!! ONLY IF YOU THRASH IT. If you gradually build the speed up, no problem. It's driving me crazy. It only happens initially & then runs great. Any ideas whats wrong?(Thanks in advance!!)

Hi Folks, Problem with my 99 T reg 1.8 Focus. When warm, if you hammer down the accelerator, you get a hesitant mis-fire then it goes like a freight train!! ONLY IF YOU THRASH IT. If you gradually build the speed up, no problem. It's driving me crazy. It only happens initially & then runs great. Any ideas whats wrong?(Thanks in advance!!)

mot likely its the coil pack causing it best practice is to replace the plugs leads and coil pack the coil packs have a tendancy to fail

mot likely its the coil pack causing it best practice is to replace the plugs leads and coil pack the coil packs have a tendancy to fail

I was thinking exactly this before I clicked on the thread.

Coil pack is relatively cheap - plugs should be too if you buy a full set together. Depending on who performed the full service, some dishonest garages won't replace plugs as the driver can't really see them. Only a few do this though and I'm not saying that's happened! Simply that when my old ST170 had a service, I made sure they put new plugs in, as they were asking £20 each for the ST ones!

Strangely enough, that's just started happening with mine!! So, coil pack it is then!!

Mike

:)Guys, thanks for all your interest. I've got the car booked in to a garage that I've used for years. They're good lads & now that I WILL & have checked their work before & I'm lucky that they're good guys to me. It's booked in for Tuesday so I'll report back on the findings!! Thanks again for your help, Regards PETE :)

Hey Guys!!! I know I was going to wait 'till Tuesday but, it got the better of me. So, I bought a new coil pack & HT leads (£48.76) It took me 10 minutes at the most & hey, look at me!!! the newby mechanic has fixed it!! Car goes like it should with no hesitation at all. Hope this helps anyone with similar probs & thanks again for all your ideas. Regards PETE :D :D

Hey Guys!!! I know I was going to wait 'till Tuesday but, it got the better of me. So, I bought a new coil pack & HT leads (£48.76) It took me 10 minutes at the most & hey, look at me!!! the newby mechanic has fixed it!! Car goes like it should with no hesitation at all. Hope this helps anyone with similar probs & thanks again for all your ideas. Regards PETE biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

glad its fixed thks for letting every one know it worked

I've fitted a new coil pack and there's still some hesitation so fitting new plugs tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

If that doesn't work then I change the leads.

Mike

I've fitted a new coil pack and there's still some hesitation so fitting new plugs tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

If that doesn't work then I change the leads.

Mike

ide say leads first then plugs usually its the leads but you never know

ide say leads first then plugs usually its the leads but you never know

I've just bought the plugs this evening. Do you think it would be worth buying the leads before fitting the plugs?

Mike

I've just bought the plugs this evening. Do you think it would be worth buying the leads before fitting the plugs?

Mike

its 6 and half a dozen really but usually i suspect the leads before the plugs but wont matter if you change them both at least its done

New sparkies did the trick. The old ones looked like they were put in at the start of time, although the service book is fully stamped. :huh:

Mike

New sparkies did the trick. The old ones looked like they were put in at the start of time, although the service book is fully stamped. huh.gif

Mike

fully stamped but they dont always change them as they are meant to be summat ridiculous like 100k they need changed according to ford regardless i do them 1nce a year i had the same mine was fully serviced and when i questioned the plugs i was shown fords check sheet which is to check the plugs and gaps not to replace till some stupid mileage so that will explain why they look old thay probably are im just trying tpo get prices for the belts and tensioners to get done ford qouted 220 all in incliding vat so ill see what my local dealer says