Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Focus Estate Electrical Issues

AndyJones2201

Hi All

I have posted this in the past but with no responses and would appreciate if anyone could give me a few pointers of where to look.

My MK2 Focus Estate has electrical issues which generally come from the lighting but also include the ignition.

Engine on with lights in the off position when the brake peddle is pressed the dash lights and front side lights come on, then off when the brake ped is released.

Engine on with the lights in the dipped of full beam position the brake lights are on (including light above rear window), when the brake peddle is pressed the brake lights will glow slightly brighter but are always illuminated brighter than the rear lights should be.

With the engine on and the lights in the dipped or full beam position and the brake ped pressed, the ignition can be turned off and key removed and the engine will continue to run, the ignition will cut out only once either the brake ped is released or the lights are turned to off.

I am thinking there must be a short between the lights (especially the brake lights) and the ignition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue where this issue may be located. 

Have you checked the fuse box for any water ingress that could be shorting the circuits?

Have you checked all the electrical multiplugs are engaged properly below the glove box in the footwell where passengers feet can knock them? They can cause all kinds of weird problems.

What happens if you disconnect both rear light clusters and put the lights on, does it change the symptoms of the engine not turning off etc? I'm just wondering if it's shorting through one of them due to corrosion or something. I would give all the contacts a clean too while you have them off.

• Like 1

Forgive my response, no intention to offend, but would you not be better off taking it to an auto spark for a diagnosis? A good one should be able to isolate such an obvious fault with speed, saving you much time and hassle yourself especially if you are not handy with a multi meter. As well as isolating the fault, they should be able to offer a fix, it's their bread & butter... You said yourself that you've posted the question before, so the assumption that you've carried out some primary checks (loose connections and the like), a pro is surely the way forward in this case?

• Like 1

Stephen has given the best advice if that is an affordable option for you.🙂

1 hour ago, WES180 said:

Have you checked the fuse box for any water ingress that could be shorting the circuits?

Have you checked all the electrical multiplugs are engaged properly below the glove box in the footwell where passengers feet can knock them? They can cause all kinds of weird problems.

What happens if you disconnect both rear light clusters and put the lights on, does it change the symptoms of the engine not turning off etc? I'm just wondering if it's shorting through one of them due to corrosion or something. I would give all the contacts a clean too while you have them off.

All fuse and relays have been removed and refitted, I like the idea of the removing the rear lights, will check them tonight. 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyJones2201 said:

All fuse and relays have been removed and refitted, I like the idea of the removing the rear lights, will check them tonight. 

The multiplug connectors in the passenger footwell are a common cause of electrical gremlins though so make sure you give all those a push home too. They are vulnerable to being knocked loose by passengers feet.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Forgive my response, no intention to offend, but would you not be better off taking it to an auto spark for a diagnosis? A good one should be able to isolate such an obvious fault with speed, saving you much time and hassle yourself especially if you are not handy with a multi meter. As well as isolating the fault, they should be able to offer a fix, it's their bread & butter... You said yourself that you've posted the question before, so the assumption that you've carried out some primary checks (loose connections and the like), a pro is surely the way forward in this case?

It's getting close to that point, just don't want to admit defeat yet. 

• Haha 1