Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 Key Fob Issue

andy1741

Hi All,

MK2.5 Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCI (non-keyless entry) 125k miles.

I'm hoping this a simple issue and I'm just missing something basic. The key fob for my car stopped working yesterday. None of the buttons do anything on the car. It was quite strange. I unlocked the car using the key fob button as usual after work, after a 20 min drive home, got out and went to lock the car with the key fob as usual and then just nothing... Tried opening it up and changing the battery to a brand new one, giving it a quick brushing, messing with the circuit board directly on the battery (checking if it was an issue with the contacts) and no luck.

This is literally the first time I have ever had any issue with the key fob in the 3 years I've owned it. I've never even opened it before. I have not noticed any diminish in the operating range either which made me suspect the battery might be a red herring.

Anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions to try?

Hope your didn't try a replacement battery from Poundland or something? They only work with a decent battery

Saying that, I had same problem recently, and reprogrammed it to the car and all fine again. 

3 minutes ago, pistolpete1 said:

Hope your didn't try a replacement battery from Poundland or something? They only work with a decent battery

Yes it was a cheap battery from a euro shop. Not sure how this would make a difference in it not working at all? I could understand if it didn't last as long.

5 minutes ago, pistolpete1 said:

Saying that, I had same problem recently, and reprogrammed it to the car and all fine again. 

How did you do this? was it a new key?

Oh brilliant, could it be then that the key fob has just some how lost it's programming? Just apply this and it should be be back to normal?

If that is the case, i'll try this when I get home from work.

1 hour ago, andy1741 said:

Oh brilliant, could it be then that the key fob has just some how lost it's programming? Just apply this and it should be be back to normal?

If that is the case, i'll try this when I get home from work.

Worked on mine when the fob stopped working, and battery replacement made no difference. It wasn't a new key/fob, just applied that vid to my 'broken' key. 

I guess they can lose the programing for some reason? 

• Like 1

I guess they can lose the programing for some reason? 

Sounds strange but I'll try the solution anyway. I'll let you know how I get on.

33 minutes ago, andy1741 said:

This worked like a charm. Thanks very much!

It's amazing what the owners manual comes up with at times LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, andy1741 said:

This worked like a charm. Thanks very much!

No problem. 👍👍

On 2/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, StephenFord said:

It's amazing what the owners manual comes up with at times LOL

What's that? :whip:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club