Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EAC Fail (I know!)

weebl

Hello

I'm after a bit of guidance. Reading up on the EAC fail there is a lot written but nothing seems to fit my symptoms. 

I have a 2003 1.4TDCi Fusion. Runs like a dream. However for the past 9 months the EAC fail flashes up from cold. I'll give a bit of history to the car & when the fault began. I had to replace the priming lines as there was a leak from a 'T-piece' After this was done the above fault appeared on cool mornings (<15c approx) after a couple of miles from the first start. Other than the 2000rpm limit the engine was fine. Once summer came  I didn't suffer as the air was warm enough in the mornings, but come later on it returned. There are no faults logged when this happens. You can reset with a depower of the car but will come back after a short while. Using a diagnostic tool on the move I've learnt that once the coolant reaches about 60c, after a reset it will stay off and remain that way unless the car is left for a fair while (such as parking at work)

I'm trying to think what the correlation of coolant and/or air temp have on the system. I'm wondering if I've fitted a faulty priming assembly (I believe there is a fuel temp sensor on this?) Or it could be something was disturbed during the replacement. I've removed/cleaned the connectors on the accel pedal and the MAF sensor.

One other thing to note, the glow plug light rarely comes on at start unless it is well below freezing, is the normal? Could it be connected?

Hopefully I've made clear what is happening so someone can perhaps give me pointers. I'm a bit reluctant to change things for the sake of it but may have to. 

Thank you

had a 2007 fiesta diesel and I reckon the glowplug light only came on a dozen times a year and only in winter. But the glowplug light can be off when the glowplugs are on. the light just means don't try starting yet. The glowplugs do stay on longer than the light. Even if the light does not come on at all, the glowplugs can still be working, lack of the light just means the car reckons it's ok to try starting it without waiting longer.

I can't really see how EAC can be linked to glowplugs or priming or coolant temperature.  If i understand it correctly, the accelerator pedal has two variable resistors in it. They should be working identically. The warning comes on if the ECU detects a different reading from each variable resistor. 

The only way I can see that happening is:   Faulty accelerator pedal (variable resistors within). Faulty wiring from pedal to ECU, Faulty wiring connectors from pedal to ECU. Faulty ECU.

I do not know if you can open up the pedal workings to see if there is something visually wrong like dirt / corrosion.

pics inside eac

http://minimages.com/eac-fail-ford-fiesta-2005-diesel/

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply. I can certainly look at the pedal and maybe clean the internals. My thinking though is that if it was the pedal the fault would appear all the time? 

I agree with your thoughts, but if it was mine I can not think of what else to do. 

The Fusion is a different shape Fiesta, I wonder if there would be some more answers from readers if this query was put on Fiesta forum as I think more people read that one.

Well this evening was the first time in a long while I've driven without having to do a reset, guess this warmer weather helps! May not have to worry for another 5 months!

Most time later in the week so see what the requirements for that are and what's left in the money pot for further investigation.

• 6 months later...

Well el the cold mornings and evenings are upon us so the fail message is back! Still stumped with this and don't want to throw components at it. Trouble is it's a nice car otherwise, but it may have to go:( 

Tempted to put an OEM priming line on as this started the troubles. Failing that. 

Has anyone any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

"Tempted to put an OEM priming line on as this started the troubles" - is this the same thing as the fuel pipe assembly?  I was having starting troubles when parked facing uphill, and needing to hand pump the primer under the bonnet sometimes.  The garage fixed this by replacing the 'fuel pipe assembly' which had been damaged and air was getting in.  Just posted a specific question on this here.

Sorry I'm not answering your problem, but looks like we may be in the same boat!

• 1 year later...

Interesting! As iv just had 1.4 td in with leak of pipe leaking and after repair eac light now flashing until warm and then some times comes on when started warm but customer had bin playing with fuse Bord when car didn’t start  . I moved all fuses and checked all ok it’s when I swapped all relays around it stoped for a couple of hours . Will get wiring diagram out tomorrow and get more involved , but I’m thinking may be something got contaminated around or on fuel pump as fuel  leak was on cyl 1 right above fuel pump 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club