Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How easy is it to change the weather belt strips on a MK2?

addiosamigo

My ones are old now, and I'd like to change them. I've seen a pair on eBay for 20 odd quid.

Now what I would like to know is how easy is it to change them? 

Is the weatherstrip the bit that gets rid of rain when you wind the window down? I see mine has a little bit of what looks like felt on the inside, will the new ones have that? Can I fix my old ones? 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, addiosamigo said:

My ones are old now, and I'd like to change them. I've seen a pair on eBay for 20 odd quid.

Now what I would like to know is how easy is it to change them? 

Is the weatherstrip the bit that gets rid of rain when you wind the window down? I see mine has a little bit of what looks like felt on the inside, will the new ones have that? Can I fix my old ones? 

Thanks 

I think they just clip in to place 😊

22 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I think they just clip in to place 😊

I thought that, but after watching a video for a 2008 Focus it doesn't look like that's the case! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, addiosamigo said:

I thought that, but after watching a video for a 2008 Focus it doesn't look like that's the case! 

I will take a look at you tube but I was sure they clip on or off 🙁

49 minutes ago, dezwez said:

is this the video you watched   

Yes that's the one! 

I wouldn't be put off by that video, it looks pretty straight forward, just a few bolts.

• Thanks 1

It looks a lot different on a MK2! Theres a plastic bit on the door in the inside, no bolts. And on the pillar of the door is a tweeter speaker. 

Anyone have any idea how I can tackle this? 

9 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

It looks a lot different on a MK2! Theres a plastic bit on the door in the inside, no bolts. And on the pillar of the door is a tweeter speaker. 

Anyone have any idea how I can tackle this? 

I think that's because the American Ford Focus didn't follow the European version until later years (2011+?), that mirror adjuster is from the MK1.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/3734-remove-door-panel/

On 2/25/2009 at 6:54 PM, SierraYankee99 said:

Firstly get yourself some trim removal tools. You can find a cheap kit on ebay. They are made from a rigid plastic and wont take lumps out of your trim or paint.

1. Remove the tweeter cover at the top of the door next to the mirror. Easiest if you drop the window and do this from the outside in. Remove the top cover and then remove the section attached to the door by unscrewing and unclipping it. This will make removing the card easier and also easier to reinstall.

2. Lever the lower section of the interior grab handle using a suitably sized trim removal tool. This is held in place with a few plastic tabs and should come away with a little persuasion.

3. Once removed you will find two previously hidden bolts. Remove both of these.

4. Unplug the switchgear for the switches in the door handle.

5. Starting at the bottom edge closest to the rear of the car, start levering the door card away from the door to release the clips holding the card in place. These are pretty stiff on the first attempt so expect a few expletives. Work your way round the bottom of the card until all clips are free the bottom. There are further clips at the rop of the card which you can now free up using a suitable lever and inserting it up inside the card from the bottom. The card should bend up enough for you to do this.

6. Once all clips are free, pull the card out and up to remove

• Like 1

Do I have to remove the door card then to remove the weather strip?

12 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

Do I have to remove the door card then to remove the weather strip?

I have no idea having not done it myself, the workshop manual for the Focus doesn't appear to mention how to do it either. I'd take the tweeter cover off, have a look at that end of the strip and see if you can see how it is attached - the new part may help also by allowing you to see clips / places for clips and/or bolts.

• Thanks 1

Ok after fiddling for a bit, there's a part that detaches from the side of the door, you need to be careful as you can break the clips that hold it in. It also 'hugs' the door inside

It's held to the door with I think some silicone. I have attached a picture if anyone else needs to replace them.

Now you may just be able to slide the weatherstrip into place without removing the mirror, if there isn't any bolts, but I will report back when I have completed the job.

IMG_20190303_135219.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club