Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it okay to use regular unleaded 91 RON for Fiesta Zetec 2012 1.4?

artyom petrov

On my Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 2012 5 dr the fuel cap says min 95 premium unleaded. But I' am just wondering, will putting in regular 91 RON unleaded be okay

Can anyone help please.

If that’s what it says on the cap then I’d say no, it won’t be ok. Saying that I always thought ‘premium’ was 97RON and above, ‘normal’ unleaded being 95RON

• Like 1

Can you actually get 91 RON in the UK these days? All I ever see is 95 or the 97 and up "super" or whatever.

Does anyone remember 2 star, 3 star 4star and 5 star petrol grades?? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Only us old gits..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Can you actually get 91 RON in the UK these days? All I ever see is 95 or the 97 and up "super" or whatever.

That's what I thought too. I also thought that 95 was standard unleaded and 97 was super (except VPower which is 99).

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

I can remember 4 star which was red at the pumps. 

My mum's mini used 2 star and dads triumph 2.5pi needed 5 star

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

I always thought ‘premium’ was 97RON and above, ‘normal’ unleaded being 95RON

I thought that too but upon further investigation 95RON is premium and is the EU standard quality of fuel sold on all EU forecourts. 97/98RON is super unleaded and not always available. 
Most modern cars can run on either grade but nothing lower. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Certainly can, and you don't need to be that old. 2 star was mainly used for two stroke bikes in my youth, you had to add lubricating oil to the petrol yourself until the smart-a**e Japanese came along with "autolube"etc, where you had a separate oil tank and it was fed into the engine automatically.

I think 2 star disappeared quite early, and 5 star about 1978, but 3 and 4 star continued until unleaded became universal. I started a 20 year diesel phase with a company vehicle about 1993, but was certainly filling my own Astra SRi with good old 4 star leaded at that time. I have a feeling the last "starred" petrol didn't finally disappear until the very end of the 1990's and may possibly have been on sale somewhere in the UK up to 2000, but can't be certain.

• Like 3

If I could find a source off 91, it wouldnt be going in my car.

I'm far from a fuel snob, but if says 95 > then thats what its going to get. 

So I cant use regular unleaded then? All I wanted to know is whether regular fuel will be ok despite the displayed premium unleaded on my cap.

95ron is minimum standard in the UK.
If a car states it's tuned to 95 then that's what it needs, anything less means power is affected and the car won't run properly.
You could get the car retuned to accept a lower grade but it will run like a tractor.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

5 hours ago, artyom petrov said:

So I cant use regular unleaded then? All I wanted to know is whether regular fuel will be ok despite the displayed premium unleaded on my cap.

Are you in the UK or somewhere else to see 91ron

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Are you in the UK or somewhere else to see 91ron

Swansea apparently.

19 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Swansea apparently.

Say no more then..

50 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Swansea apparently.

So no then.lol 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Certainly can, and you don't need to be that old. 2 star was mainly used for two stroke bikes in my youth, you had to add lubricating oil to the petrol yourself until the smart-a**e Japanese came along with "autolube"etc, where you had a separate oil tank and it was fed into the engine automatically.

I think 2 star disappeared quite early, and 5 star about 1978, but 3 and 4 star continued until unleaded became universal. I started a 20 year diesel phase with a company vehicle about 1993, but was certainly filling my own Astra SRi with good old 4 star leaded at that time. I have a feeling the last "starred" petrol didn't finally disappear until the very end of the 1990's and may possibly have been on sale somewhere in the UK up to 2000, but can't be certain.

I can only remember 4 Star, didn't even realise there were other stars, makes more sense now I know it's to do with grades though!

The 4 star ban was in 2000 as my Mum changed car that year to avoid having to use a lead replacement.  

7 hours ago, artyom petrov said:

All I wanted to know is whether regular fuel will be ok despite the displayed premium unleaded on my cap.

I think perhaps there is confusion here, caused by fuel suppliers labelling 95 RON as "premium unleaded" at the pumps, and 97/98/99 RON as "Super", "Ultimate", "Momentum", "V-Power" etc, etc.

So just look out for the RON rating recommended for your car, 95 RON in your case, and stick to it. In any event, it is very unlikely you would find anything with less than 95 RON anywhere in the UK nowadays.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The 4 star ban was in 2000 as my Mum changed car that year to avoid having to use a lead replacement.  

Ah, so the memory's not gone yet!😀As I recall the LRP was only on sale for 2 or 3 years before being dropped as the demand had gone by then.

7 hours ago, artyom petrov said:

In the UK regular unleaded fuel at the pumps "is" premium 95 RON.

The fuel providers label the pumps as regular unleaded in an attempt to promote their super unleaded fuels as the more premium fuel. There is a deliberate play on words on their part because as a word, 'premium' sounds much better than 'super'.

Just remember that;

95 RON = Premium Unleaded

Anything greater than 95 RON = Super Unleaded

My advice is unless your car is modified to take advantage of higher RON fuels, stick to 95 RON aka regular unleaded aka premium 95 RON.

I wonder if the OP is actually from Swansea Australia rather than Swansea UK? They do have 91 RON there according to Google.

35 minutes ago, WES180 said:

I wonder if the OP is actually from Swansea Australia rather than Swansea UK? They do have 91 RON there according to Google.

Looked at his profile and can’t make it out either. Did find his only other post is this one...... 🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

524DBA10-5130-4880-945A-FCED5906A1AD.png

Wales ? Is that west of England? I thought the world ends at the Severn estuary

• Like 1

I’m interested too in where you are getting this 91 RON. 

OP must be mistaken surely?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club