Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map update help needed.

frund

My Ford Sat Nav is quite poor at knowing the Speed Limits often a says 60 when it is really 50 or 40 and it changes from 40 to 30 often in the wrong place. So it must be out of date.

My Town has last week got a new bypass I don't expect this to be available or really need it but some of the other faults put right would be nice.

My car is a March 17 registered Ford ST. Diesel 1.5. Serviced wed 20th Feb. Tremont Road Garage. all good.

How do I update maps please and do I have to pay. How often  thanks.

Sync2 or 3?

if it is 3 it is free and there is a long thread running currently with all the info you need so just do a quick search or scroll down the forum.

if it is 2 then you need to buy a new SD card with the maps on. Either go to Ford for original item or eBay for a clone

It depends on the system you are using in the car. 
On the older systems you need to purchase an up to date SD card which fits in a slot just under the display. I'm not sure what the latest map version is with the Fiesta but it will likely be V7.
The systems using SD cards can't be updated via PC (read only cards) or other methods so a new card would need to be purchased from Ford. You can buy them from eBay but a lot of them are fakes and won't necessarily work with the system. 

Thanks for replies.  Not sure of what version sync I have but will have a fiddle tomorrow. The car is almost 2 years old so I would think it would be the latest.

I had a look earlier on the ford site and if you put your vin in it will say whether or not it is up to date done by USB. visitors today so more tomorrow.

If your home screen is split into 4 then it's sync2

If the categories (map, phone etc) run along the bottom like tabs thenits sync3

That age fiesta will still be sync1.1 with applink. 

So the maps are on an SD card. Currently the latest version is v7, but V8  should be be out very soon ( normally march/April) 

Not cheap at £90. 

iantt, I have a feeling you are correct I have downloaded, from Ford, a file and unzipped it to Usb stick fat 32. This then into car Usb /Menu/ Sync Settings/install on Sync/

Engine should be running. The whole update (not sure exactly was updated) takes 20 mins. It will reboot and you will get a female voice but the main thing is Wait Wait Wait.

It would appear it has frozen or stopped working but being a patient soul (hospital visitor) I waited and almost 20 mins later it said Completed and went back to Radio 1.

My neighbour has Astra auto update on Maps. 

My Android phone has excellent Google maps on board so no £90 to Ford or tomtom. Tight ***** though.

( I and herself are going up Welsh coast today I will run Phone Maps and Ford Nav to see who does the Speed limits Best. I may fashion up a holder to go in front of  Ford Nav )

thanks All 

Nope, maps are not updated via your sync update. 

New card , new maps. 

Ta all for replies I am wiser. 

iantt typical we always pay.

fgservo. looked into your post and would seem around £25 on the bay which is fair enough ta for that.

I am trying Sygic on the Mobile at this minute. Free Premium for 7 days. My town SY16, has new bypass opened 2 weeks ago this is on their maps with speed limits and very clear. Have not looked into price yet and the mob is not very handy when driving unless there is a bracket or maybe make one. Jury still out there. 90% of my driving no need for Nav but when there are road closures it is very handy for alternative routes.

Edit. looking on youtube it may be possible to update Sync to newer version have not read this yet maybe later this evening. ta.

And finally paid Sygic £9.49 for lifetime membership and map updates for europe. I find their maps are very up to date even here in Mid/ West Wales which is good considering some roads are quite remote and of course the ultra new bypass.

Thanks all until the next time bye.