Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stripped thread

Maddave

Hi everyone,  replacing front number plate and self tapping screw in plastic has stripped thread .what's the best way of repairing this?

Thanks in advance.

Usually the front bumper has raised circles marked on them where the plastic is thicker in order to take plate screws.
If you move the screws up or down slightly within the circles then they will bite in again and the old holes will be unseen.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 3

Or a couple of these bolted through the radiator then some nuts each end? Over kill? Ignore the coolant loss. 

Sorry, I'm bored. Lol 

k1055_long_threaded_rod_1_metre_m10_10pc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Remove the remaining screw from the number plate, place the number plate in windscreen somewhere near where the tax disc used to sit. Alternatively, Wes has the best solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Or a couple of these bolted through the radiator then some nuts each end? Over kill? Ignore the coolant loss. 

Sorry, I'm bored. Lol 

k1055_long_threaded_rod_1_metre_m10_10pc.jpg

I was thinking change the glow plugs

• Haha 5

One possible (serious) suggestion is to use these which will allow you to fix the plate with machine screws and no further danger of stripped plastic threads.

They're really intended for use in thin metal sheet but I think they should work in plastic.

• Like 4

Thanks guys , going to try bigger screws , if that doesn't work will try helicoils .Thanks for for all inputs ,some did tickle me.

• Like 2

You could always use the little sticky pads that you can get for fixing the reg-plate back into place 😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maddave said:

Hi everyone,  replacing front number plate and self tapping screw in plastic has stripped thread .what's the best way of repairing this?

Thanks in advance.

Bolt with large penny washers 

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Bolt with large penny washers 

Don't know if your being serious but some garages use bolts to put rear number plates on focus. Not exactly the most pleasing to see . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iantt said:

Don't know if your being serious but some garages use bolts to put rear number plates on focus. Not exactly the most pleasing to see . 

I was being serious lol 

M6 cheese head screws with penny washers and lock nuts would look ok, also the cheese head should fit inside screw caps if desired to fit those. 

Or 

Button head with Allen key insert would be anti theft fixings on a budget 

33258_1.thumb.jpg.a0f6f267a7975fbdcb582433b6c5dc76.jpg

• Like 1

I got Velcro pads from Halfords 3 years ago and the plate has never budged even in car washes it's easily stolen though but nobody has bothered lol

The "Command Strips" are ***** sticky and the ones I got from Wilko (£3 for 4 strips), are rated at 3.5kg each!

There are some decent double sided adhesive tapes around now, 3M VHB tape is excellent but requires some decent pressure to get it to its full strength - and woe betide you if you try sticking something when the temp is a bit low...

• Like 2

Agreed with Micro...I haven't screwed plates on in the last 6 or 7 years on, always used sticky pads and never lost a plate.  They're cheapest on eBay etc but if you need them urgently Halfords sell these which work well for the slight curve on the bumper. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/number-plates/number-plate-accessories/number-plate-fixers-6mm-adhesive-spacer-pads

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Agreed with Micro...I haven't screwed plates on in the last 6 or 7 years on, always used sticky pads and never lost a plate.  They're cheapest on ebay etc but if you need them urgently Halfords sell these which work well for the slight curve on the bumper. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/number-plates/number-plate-accessories/number-plate-fixers-6mm-adhesive-spacer-pads

Go for velcro pads, very convenient for if you fancy a bit of bilking!🙄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Go for velcro pads, very convenient for if you fancy a bit of bilking!🙄

Well I've learnt a new word there... :laugh:  Velcro is good for swapping show plates on at shows tbf though!  Or turning your mates plates upside down which is of course hilarious...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well I've learnt a new word there... :laugh:  Velcro is good for swapping show plates on at shows tbf though!  Or turning your mates plates upside down which is of course hilarious...

I'd never heard it before either until an episode of Traffic Cops a few years back. It was people filling up with fuel and driving off without paying.

• Like 1

Will have a closer look this weekend. ***** annoying on a new car , the back of the car has proper nuts in boot lid. The front has cheap plastic lugs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maddave said:

Will have a closer look this weekend. ***** annoying on a new car , the back of the car has proper nuts in boot lid. The front has cheap plastic lugs.

Stuck on plates do look nicer without the protruding screw head caps and stuff, but obvious concern that you may lose your plate at some point (or some beggar will nick it!). 

• Like 1

Plate holders with hidden screws plus sticky pads to allow the holder to conform to bumper curves.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 2

Have got these:-

DEZENTOFIX License Plate Frame (2 Pieces) | *NEW* Offer | SLIM Frame | License Plate Holder aesthetic | Number Plate Holder | Bestselling Registration Plate Holder on amazon.de https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Q21CPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KQ-DCbVR6ERC7

Why lol? Now you will need a new number plate too as its going to look a bit daft with the holes in your existing one or have you not drilled your new plate yet?

Why didn't you just put fatter screws in or as Stoney said move the plate up or down slightly and screw new holes through the round raised screw section on the bumper that wouldn't be seen?

• Like 2

Had to get new plates as just bought some personalised plates lol. Didn't want to drill the new plates and this seemed the best solution for the front . Also a bit more secure than sticky pads on the car. Also I have bought the "bling" gel plates.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club