Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford fiesta st line 2017-2018 new shape ecoboost engine

__md__

Hi guys wanted know if anyone know if anyone who currently has the new shape st line fiesta? if yes how reiable is this 1 litre engine?

and it might be hard to say at this point but how long are these likely to last millage wise thanks guys

They are fairly reliable. The ecoboost engines have had a few issues in the past but with the most recent variants, those issues have been resolved so at the minute, I believe there aren’t major issues going about for the new Fiestas. 

Hard to say how long the engine will last but if you look after it with good maintenance, I can’t see why it wouldn’t do 100,000+. 

If you are worried about anything though, Ford do a very reasonably priced 2 year warranty extension which would result in a 5 year total warranty and it’s only around £300 for that giving a fairly nice peace of mind for a while. 

The main issue people seem to be having with the Mk8s is the GPF...seeing your London location this could cause issues if you mainly do local city driving.

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The main issue people seem to be having with the Mk8s is the GPF...seeing your London location this could cause issues if you mainly do local city driving.

Does the MK8 have a GPF? I was under the impression that for the Fiesta's, only the ST had the GPF and the 1.0 Ecoboosts got the GPF but for the Focus and not the Fiesta. 

1 hour ago, DG97 said:

Does the MK8 have a GPF? I was under the impression that for the Fiesta's, only the ST had the GPF and the 1.0 Ecoboosts got the GPF but for the Focus and not the Fiesta. 

That's what I thought and my (March 2018) car certainly doesn't have it. However over on the Focus forum @iantt mentions it being introduced on the Fiesta later in the year - any more info on that Ian, dates, vin nos etc?

Fair point, now you’ve mentioned it, I remember seeing that when I read through that thread. 

Lucky me, i’m fairly certain mine doesn’t have it either

1 minute ago, Snapper54 said:

Forgive my ignorance, whats  GPF ??? 

Gasoline particulate filter - same idea as diesel particulate filter (dpf) but for petrol engines.

• Thanks 1

hmm considering buying one but dont want it to be a case where its reliable for like 40,000 miles or something as 140 ps potenially is alot of stain

for 1 litre

anyone who has one had any engline related issues so far?

1 hour ago, __md__ said:

anyone who has one had any engline related issues so far?

There have been GPF related issues discussed on the Focus forum (the most recent MK8 Fiestas appear to have the GPF - mine is a March 2018 and goes without it) also a few buzzing noises have been reported too, have a peek around the forum as there have been a couple of threads pop up in the past few months. 

GPF issues are definitely concerning but equally, I don’t think there has actually been any Fiesta specific GPF issues reported so in theory, there is nothing major being reported at the minute in relation to the engine. 

I notice you mention that you feel like the 140ps is a strain on a 1.0 engine. I wouldn’t worry about that too much - there are a lot of people running lower stock ps Ecoboosts remapped to more than 140ps with minimal or no reliability issues. Also, remember that the 1.0 has been designed as a 3 cylinder engine so will have been engineered to be able to cope with the strain that many are worried about. It isn’t like a 4 cylinder that has just had a cylinder removed and is still made to produce the same power output. 

On 2/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Gasoline particulate filter - same idea as diesel particulate filter (dpf) but for petrol engines.

Just to add a little more detail:

Up until now, petrol engines haven’t been required to fit the equivalent Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF), which means that all of the direct injection petrol cars currently circulating are throwing PM out the back, and we mean a significant amount. You can’t see it because it is very fine, and that is worrying because it is the ultra-fine portion of PM that is associated with the worst health impacts.

The World Health Organisation declared some time ago that diesel PM is carcinogenic, and both petrol and diesel PM are associated with all sorts of health impacts, including death. To underline this point, when assessing what the safe level of PM is, the WHO came to a rather sobering conclusion; namely there is no safe lower limit, in other words, any amount of petrol or diesel PM that you breath in has an adverse health impact. For us, that sounds like something you want to avoid.

At last, this month European legislation has caught up. As part of the efforts to stop another VW-type scandal, all new models have to undergo extra tests and from September 2018 every new car will be subjected to these tests. PM limits now for the first time apply to direct injection petrol engines which is fantastic news. In announcing the new standards the EU said that GPF would be required to hit the new limits.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:27 PM, DG97 said:

There have been GPF related issues discussed on the Focus forum (the most recent MK8 Fiestas appear to have the GPF - mine is a March 2018 and goes without it) also a few buzzing noises have been reported too, have a peek around the forum as there have been a couple of threads pop up in the past few months. 

GPF issues are definitely concerning but equally, I don’t think there has actually been any Fiesta specific GPF issues reported so in theory, there is nothing major being reported at the minute in relation to the engine. 

I notice you mention that you feel like the 140ps is a strain on a 1.0 engine. I wouldn’t worry about that too much - there are a lot of people running lower stock ps Ecoboosts remapped to more than 140ps with minimal or no reliability issues. Also, remember that the 1.0 has been designed as a 3 cylinder engine so will have been engineered to be able to cope with the strain that many are worried about. It isn’t like a 4 cylinder that has just had a cylinder removed and is still made to produce the same power output. 

Hi bud thanks for your info its abit annoying also as I have not seen any for sale that are over 20,000 miles yet lol I see you have a X is that 140ps mate?

29 minutes ago, __md__ said:

Hi bud thanks for your info its abit annoying also as I have not seen any for sale that are over 20,000 miles yet lol I see you have a X is that 140ps mate?

They’ve been around for around 18 months now so chances are that examples with 20,000+ will be beginning to appear very very soon at good prices too. 

I do 🙂 it’s a cracking little car. Punchy enough, great grip yet just about comfortable enough and equipped very well - all that I could ask for in a vehicle! 

One thing to be wary of is that the interior quality can be a little bit on the low side in places, most notably rattles/buzzing from the door panels have been experienced by a few people I believe but at the end of the day it’s a small thing and doesn’t take away that the car is very good

15 minutes ago, DG97 said:

They’ve been around for around 18 months now so chances are that examples with 20,000+ will be beginning to appear very very soon at good prices too. 

I do 🙂 it’s a cracking little car. Punchy enough, great grip yet just about comfortable enough and equipped very well - all that I could ask for in a vehicle! 

One thing to be wary of is that the interior quality can be a little bit on the low side in places, most notably rattles/buzzing from the door panels have been experienced by a few people I believe but at the end of the day it’s a small thing and doesn’t take away that the car is very good

Thanks for the bud! I take it yours being an X comes with leather seats?

13 minutes ago, __md__ said:

Thanks for the bud! I take it yours being an X comes with leather seats?

No worries! It’s part leather so the outside is leather and the inner part is cloth which I actually prefer as I can’t stand leather on very hot or cold days 😛 

13 minutes ago, DG97 said:

No worries! It’s part leather so the outside is leather and the inner part is cloth which I actually prefer as I can’t stand leather on very hot or cold days 😛 

Nice! I wonder if its possible to get a standard st line but upgrade the seats to leathers? if you pay more

If they’d let you spec it at the dealer then definitely but can’t remember seeing it on the configuration but I could be wrong. Either way, it’s the exact same seat just different material so would be a straight swap should anyone need to upgrade after getting the car 

I lease a mk8 68 st line fiesta 140bhp. Its only 10 days old.. So far its been ok but im still running it in so not given it any boot yet. I noticed this weekend that both front headlights have a little condensation inside them and one of the spot lights underneath isnt working so im going to ring ford lease tomorrow and get them fixed. These things happen with new cars  so i assume this is unusual and not a common problem. I have also noticed a slight oily smell in the car when the heaters are on so i'll get them to check that too. I have been on the motorway in 6th gear which is nice and was missing from my mk7. How can i tell if i have one of those GPF things on my car?.

I had the mk 7.5 66 st line fiesta ecoboost 140bhp before this. That was a beautiful car to drive and i absolutely loved it. I did 20k in 2 years and i would say it actually felt better the more i drove it. I never had a single thing wrong with it from day one hence why i leased the st line ecoboost 140bhp again. 

Any questions feel free to ask.

26 minutes ago, Shepster48 said:

I lease a mk8 68 st line fiesta 140bhp. Its only 10 days old.. So far its been ok but im still running it in so not given it any boot yet. I noticed this weekend that both front headlights have a little condensation inside them and one of the spot lights underneath isnt working so im going to ring ford lease tomorrow and get them fixed. These things happen with new cars  so i assume this is unusual and not a common problem. I have also noticed a slight oily smell in the car when the heaters are on so i'll get them to check that too. I have been on the motorway in 6th gear which is nice and was missing from my mk7. How can i tell if i have one of those GPF things on my car?.

I had the mk 7.5 66 st line fiesta ecoboost 140bhp before this. That was a beautiful car to drive and i absolutely loved it. I did 20k in 2 years and i would say it actually felt better the more i drove it. I never had a single thing wrong with it from day one hence why i leased the st line ecoboost 140bhp again. 

Any questions feel free to ask.

overall which one do you prefer mate?

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

If they’d let you spec it at the dealer then definitely but can’t remember seeing it on the configuration but I could be wrong. Either way, it’s the exact same seat just different material so would be a straight swap should anyone need to upgrade after getting the car 

Yeah will enquire tommorrow I bet it will be expensive though..

1 hour ago, Shepster48 said:

How can i tell if i have one of those GPF things on my car?.

If you could possibly post up a good pic of your engine, one of us other Mk 8 owners will be able to tell you if it looks like theirs and if not, it'll likely have gpf.

anyone have the older model? I belive its 2013-2016? have they used the same engine or is it modified now?

9 hours ago, __md__ said:

overall which one do you prefer mate?

This is purely my opinion and may change the longer i drive it.

Pro's

Interior nicer

Big touch screen but would have preferred it to look like part of dash and not just stuck on top.

Auto lights

Fans nicer to control

Speed limiter for motorway 

Lane guidance control

Now has a perimeter alarm inside.

Cons

Intermitent wipers less speed options

Not a fan of keyless start for security reasons regarding obd.

Unsure about the look of the backend yet...jury still out if i find it boring and now just looks like all the other cars.

10 hours ago, __md__ said:

Yeah will enquire tommorrow I bet it will be expensive though..

Had a quick look on the configurator for the non-X ST Line and it turns out that you can get them in a pack called ST-Line X Red Pack which includes the partial leather seats but as it's the red pack, you'd have to have the red inserts scattered around the interior which depending on which colour you get your car in will look relatively nice or relatively crap lol 

Doesn't look very expensive either, on the configurator it only upped the price by £50 which seems very very cheap for any extra never mind partial leather.