Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk 7 ST or Zetec s

TC97
聽Share

Hello everyone 馃檪

Im looking to get a different fiesta (my 1.2 fiesta mk7聽 is too slow and looks dull). The car will be driven聽a lot聽around 300+ miles a week.

My question is how many miles do people get out of there STs or Zetec s.聽

As i will be driving the car聽everyday I聽would like it to be reliable (my current 1.2 mk7 has never let me down) and wouldn't be able to get to work without a car, has anyone had any issues daily driving these cars.

Thanks聽

On paper the zetec-s with the tiny 1.0L turbo should be a little economic car and the ST with the 1.6L turbo should go like the stink but be a little more thirsty.

Really it depends how heavy your right foot is.聽If you don't drive the ST stupidly then you can get 35-40mpg depending on if you do motorway miles. Having said that if you baby the 1.0L you'll get over 50mpg so it depends what sort of driving you do.

From my short experience with both the 1.0L EcoBoost in the zetec-s and the 1.25 you have, the economy is about the same, maybe slightly less on the 1.0L as you're always keeping the turbo spinning. Then expect maybe 28-35mpg around town on the ST? Then pushing up to 40mpg on the motorway like I said.聽

• Like 1

All good advice from @Luke4efc.

All I can add is that I've now covered 4000 miles commuting in my ST and I'm loving it. I'm getting 40 mpg, even with giving it the beans when the opportunity arises聽:driving:

I previously had a 1.25 Zetec and the performance difference i's huge. Go for an ST-2 or 3 to get the Recaro seats, and 2016- to get the ST200 chassis upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I do 1500 miles a month in my ST average around 340-370 miles per tank, mix of motorways and normal roads. did 440 miles on one tank in August last year for Ford Fair

9 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

On paper the zetec-s with the tiny 1.0L turbo should be a little economic car and the ST with the 1.6L turbo should go like the stink but be a little more thirsty.

Really it depends how heavy your right foot is.聽If you don't drive the ST stupidly then you can get 35-40mpg depending on if you do motorway miles. Having said that if you baby the 1.0L you'll get over 50mpg so it depends what sort of driving you do.

From my short experience with both the 1.0L EcoBoost in the zetec-s and the 1.25 you have, the economy is about the same, maybe slightly less on the 1.0L as you're always keeping the turbo spinning. Then expect maybe 28-35mpg around town on the ST? Then pushing up to 40mpg on the motorway like I said.聽

Hi Luke.聽

Thanks for this advice really helpful. There are lots of other factors Im having to consider such as聽insurance is through the roof still (been driving for 3 years no claims and still costs 1.8K for a 1.25 fiesta) and where I have to park for work peoples cars are getting broken into, stolen etc at a crazy rate聽as of recent

I do like to put some power down in my car now. I saw a video of me 'putting my foot down' and it looked like i was going in slow motion my car is that slow. If i didnt like cars and want a better one I would be happy聽with my car now.

@Ryan_Tango@TimST2340 miles! Thats awesome so getting a ST for me would be more economical . ALso have you had any faults/issues arise in the 4K miles? I would cover that amount of miles in maybe 2.5-3 months. In the last year I put around 20K miles on my car. I know some sports cars dont like that amount聽of miles in short period of time.

Since having the car I've covered 13k in the last 10 months no issues just changed the brakes for new

No problems. Car goes for its end of warranty service and MOT in April...

Correction - I did have the air-con compressor changed under warranty, but I suspect that had been noisy from new...

I average 44MPG mix of town and A/M roads, on a very long M road journey I can average 53+MPG. Changing gear when the indicator says so and not heavy on the gas.

However, I should point out 2 things that influence my numbers;

• I use 5W/30 oil and non ford spec. Better quality oil, stable oil film, less friction etc
  • I have the ST200 airbox, meaning there is an additional cold airfeed. I still use a standard OE paper filter.

Bought the car new in July 2016, no issues. Currently on about 21K, both front tyres are under 3mm thread depth, rears are about 7mm, brakes still going strong but will be replacing them this year around July.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, TC97 said:

Hi Luke.聽

Thanks for this advice really helpful. There are lots of other factors Im having to consider such as聽insurance is through the roof still (been driving for 3 years no claims and still costs 1.8K for a 1.25 fiesta) and where I have to park for work peoples cars are getting broken into, stolen etc at a crazy rate聽as of recent

@Ryan_Tango@TimST2340 miles! Thats awesome so getting a ST for me would be more economical .

聽In the last year I put around 20K miles on my car. I know some sports cars dont like that amount聽of miles in short period of time.

1.8k about what youd pay at 17 with no NCD lol. Try at different times of the day, changing your job title slightly (for example instead of mechanical engineer, I can put Mechanic, Plant fitter, factory operator etc.). I don't think the amount of miles you do makes it any cheaper. I put 8k miles, which was at least 拢200 cheaper than 10k miles back when I was paying over 拢1500 for insurance.

Yep 340 miles because a 1.2 is so slow you're constantly putting your foot hard down to keep up with traffic. In reality you can drive the ST around the same speed and get similar mpg.

20k miles a year is diesel territory really. Sports cars the don't do high miles are like super high performance stuff that costs so much to buy it only gets used as a weekend toy.

On 27 February 2019 at 6:13 AM, TimST2 said:

All good advice from @Luke4efc.

All I can add is that I've now covered 4000 miles commuting in my ST and I'm loving it. I'm getting 40 mpg, even with giving it the beans when the opportunity arises聽:driving:

I previously had a 1.25 Zetec and the performance difference i's huge. Go for an ST-2 or 3 to get the Recaro seats, and 2016- to get the ST200 chassis upgrades.

You mean, go for a ST2 or 3 to get half leather heated Recaros, the ST1 has聽Recaros.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarksST said:
You mean, go for a ST2 or 3 to get half leather heated Recaros, the ST1 has聽Recaros.

Yep -聽you're right.聽