Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Top Mount Revisions?

DickP

Hi,

My car has just had new TRW manufactured front control arms fitted.  It also had new OEM spec drop links (cannot remember the brand right now) and top mounts during the latter part of last year.

However the front suspension still exhibits quite a rattly loose clonk on particular bumps and minor potholes.

I have now seen on the internet mention of there being a revision to the top mount design around 2013.  My car is an earlier one having been produced mid-2011.  Apart from the anti-roll bar bushes and the struts themselves, there are no remaining front suspension parts which have covered the circa 80k that the rest of the car has.

Is this likely to suggest the top mounts which I had installed were of the old design and hence they may be a bit rattly?

Thanks,

38 minutes ago, DickP said:

Hi,

Presumably nobody knows?

Thanks,

@JW1982 is usually good a stuff like this (some of his previous posts have been really detailed and often contain information that you would only get from Ford or somewhere similar).

2055302191_Frontstrut.thumb.jpg.f5c995eafe6188c824954e469a2e62ca.jpg

There are 3 different top mounts for the Focus MK3:

Finis 1703202 Part number BV61-3K155-AA
From 03-01-2011 to 17-06-2013 (except BEV-version).

Finis 1824950 Part number BV61-3K155-C2A
From 04-03-2014 onwards (vehicles with sport suspension)
From 04-03-2014 onwards (vehicles with standard suspension, except Russian market)
From 04-03-2014 onwards (vehicles with performance suspension)
From 17-06-2013 to 04-03-2014 (except BEV-version).

Finis 1820233 Part number CV61-3K155-B2A
From 17-06-2013 onwards (vehicles with heavy duty suspension)

However Finis 1703202 is no longer available and has been replaced by Finis 1824950. Both parts are fully interchangeable. Unless there is still old stock you will automatically receive the latest available part when ordering any of these numbers.

As far as I know the heavy duty suspension was never used on Western European vehicles. 

The top bearings Finis 1508111 Part number 3M51-3K099-AD remained the same for all suspension types and production data.

• Like 1

Hi

Thank you very much for the info.

Not sure what causes the clonking then as there's not much left to change and the car has not got that many miles on it.

Have you checked engine mounts too? I had a random clunking noise, turns out the driver side engine mount had spewed its oil all over and was not doing a good damping job!

£30 for a new Febi mount (from AutoDoc, they ship from Germany but can be a lot cheaper than UK sources IF you take the risk that you may have trouble returning/warranty claims!).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, Micro said:

Have you checked engine mounts too? I had a random clunking noise, turns out the driver side engine mount had spewed its oil all over and was not doing a good damping job!

£30 for a new Febi mount (from AutoDoc, they ship from Germany but can be a lot cheaper than UK sources IF you take the risk that you may have trouble returning/warranty claims!).

I've used Autodoc 3 times without issue, with all the items being as described.  I've not had to return anything but they're an established company so I wouldn't have thought it should be a problem, other than the possible postage cost to return stuff to Germany.

Hi,

No I haven't checked the engine and gearbox mounts apart from visual inspection of the torque resisting dog bone mount when I had the under tray off recently.

I would imagine it to be a more substantial noise if it were a mount which had failed.  I would attribute the sound akin to heatsheild or plastic trim rattling, but hard enough and loud enough to feel through the body.  On occasion I get a clunk through the front suspension and steering wheel on bumps with a large amount of lock on (such as going up a dropped kerb), which I cannot understand as it has new wishbones, top mounts and ARB drop links.

Thanks,

you can get massive noise on most cars from old hard / slightly worn antiroll bar bushes

I have a similar issue with my 2012 mk3. I just replaced the sway bar links over the weekend and the front feels/sounds much better (the old ones were definitely shot) but I can still hear an occasional clunk when driving over bad paved roads.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club