Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need help on hardwiring dashcam

soshi89

Hey peeps,

I need some assistance on hardwiring my dashcam. I don't know which fuse to use in my passenger compartment so that it powers on and off when the ignition is operation. I've had a look at some YT videos but most people use different fuses. So it's made me confused at which one to use and if it's safe to do them or not. I don't want a simple thing end up costing me money on fixing other problems if it goes upside down. I have a Zetec S mk7.5 model.

Much appreciated!! 😀

I piggybacked the front 12v fuse (cig lighter). Since I was wiring in a hidden 12v adapter to handle both cameras, it worked well. 

24 minutes ago, soshi89 said:

Hey peeps,

I need some assistance on hardwiring my dashcam. I don't know which fuse to use in my passenger compartment so that it powers on and off when the ignition is operation. I've had a look at some YT videos but most people use different fuses. So it's made me confused at which one to use and if it's safe to do them or not. I don't want a simple thing end up costing me money on fixing other problems if it goes upside down. I have a Zetec S mk7.5 model.

Much appreciated!! 😀

I use piggyback off the gauge cluster fuse because the dash cam should not be drawing more than 2 a at a maximum, I use a special fuse piggyback adapter that allows the thing that is being power through that socket to keep its fuse and for the dash cam to have its own fuse that even if it blew, the main fuse would be fine.

3 minutes ago, jbell said:

I piggybacked the front 12v fuse (cig lighter). Since I was wiring in a hidden 12v adapter to handle both cameras, it worked well. 

I tried doing that however I could not find an adapter to allow me to tap into the socket because the fuse in my fiesta for the lighter socket is a cube type not a rectangle type

30 minutes ago, Neb_engineer said:

I tried doing that however I could not find an adapter to allow me to tap into the socket because the fuse in my fiesta for the lighter socket is a cube type not a rectangle type

Hmm.. I might be thinking of my previous car in that case. 

I think another option is front wipers fuse. 

I used fuse 42, rear view camera. Only works when the ignition is on.

Reason I picked this one is because I don't have a rear view camera, so it was unused and I would prefer not to piggyback off another device.

I use rear wiper fuse with piggy back,i did mine a nice year or more ago but i do have a picture somewhere,i wanted mine off ignition as don't want it on 24/7.

IMG_0393.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, Ad@m said:

Reason I picked this one is because I don't have a rear view camera, so it was unused and I would prefer not to piggyback off another device.

I used the same one for the same reason and also figured it make more sense to anyone else working on my car what the cable was for.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, Ad@m said:

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I used the same one for the same reason and also figured it make more sense to anyone else working on my car what the cable was for.

I tried fuse 42 but no power was going to my dashcam. I ended up using fuse 1 which operates ignition, auto wipers, heated seats and some other features. It powers up my dashcam before I turn the ignition on so literally works like my cigarette lighter socket where you turn on the battery and it feeds it power straight away. It's okay with this as when I turn the car off it'll turn off as well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club