Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuses - Relays?

Amanda2007
聽Share

Hi all,

bought a 2007 Focus 1.4L petrol in January.

Picked up some mini fuses today as the cigarette lighter isn't working.

I now have plenty of 5,10,15, 20, 25 and 30 amp fuses.

Is there anything else I should consider to keep in the car for emergencies? Higher rated fuses / Common relays?

Thanks.

Amanda.

• Like 1

The only thing I carry in my car and van in terms of emergencies is some bulbs. It鈥檚 quite inconvenient聽聽loosing a headlight when your miles from home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always have cable ties in mine. they did come in use once , a handbrake cable plastic clip broker and the cable dropped down a bit so it kept scraping on the road over bumps etc. Cable tie did the job.

and some bicycle brake cables? many years ago my brother bothered my Ford Sierra. On a motorway in Belgium an exhaust mount broker and the exhaust was scraping on the road. He had his bicycle in the back and some basic tools. He cut the brake cables off his bike with some pliers. He then chiselled two holes through floor of car under the back seat, threaded the brake cables through to tie the exhaust up. Good bit of improvising.

If you are going to carry spare light bulbs make sure you have the neccessary tools to change a bulb, which will often include Torx head screwdrivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, isetta said:

He cut the brake cables off his bike with some pliers. He then chiselled two holes through floor of car under the back seat, threaded the brake cables through to tie the exhaust up. Good bit of improvising.

Lol聽馃槀

• Haha 1

A few pairs of disposable gloves and an extending wheel brace. I only get punctures when it's raining or snowing. Much easier to get the wheel bolts undone with an extending wheel brace than the short thing which Ford supply. All this assuming that there is actually a spare wheel, jack and brace in the car and not a compressor plus聽gunge. If it needs more than a wheel changing then it needs a breakdown service.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dezwez said:

bulbs first aid box blanket and a map book聽馃檪

LOL, have a blanket, torch, first aid kit, jump starter pack, extending wheel brace and sunglasses 馃槢

Have still to figure out what type of bulbs I need, seems to be some confusion re this topic.

Just wondering if there's any vital relays that are known to go pop?

good point about the wheel spanner, the ones you get with the car are normally useless as not enough leverage. I always have the cross type as you can push with foot on one side whilst pulling with your hands on the other side

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wheel+brace&FORM=HDRSC2

put a bit of tape or paint on the end that fits your wheel nuts

the extending type are better if you want it to double as a weapon

• Thanks 1

A length of rope (Or thick cable ties), shovel, plastic tarpaulin, a couple of bags of lime, disposable coveralls聽and rubber gloves.馃槻馃槀

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, F0CUE said:

A screwdriver so you can change bulbs not so easy with headlight in place.

Yeah, I generally carry a fairly good tool kit also.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:46 AM, dezwez said:

bulbs first aid box blanket and a map book聽馃檪

Where do I begin...聽馃槀聽Like a mobile garage!

• First aid kit (comprehensive)
  • Tool kit (Wheel brace, pliers, screwdriver bits + handle, test light, bulbs + fuses, OBDII dongle, tow rope, jump leads, duct tape)
  • Hi vis jacket
  • Screenwash
  • Engine oil (1L)
  • Glass cleaner + spout (for pouring screenwash) + cloths
  • Blanket

Have been meaning to buy one of the 拢5 jobby socket sets from eBay to keep in the boot too. Duct tape came to the rescue when I hit a sheep to hold the plastic bits of bumper back together.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Micro said:

Where do I begin...聽馃槀聽Like a mobile garage!

• First aid kit (comprehensive)
  • Tool kit (Wheel brace, pliers, screwdriver bits + handle, test light, bulbs + fuses, OBDII dongle, tow rope, jump leads, duct tape)
  • Hi vis jacket
  • Screenwash
  • Engine oil (1L)
  • Glass cleaner + spout (for pouring screenwash) + cloths
  • Blanket

Does your Focus say Halfords along the side too?馃槈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With all this extra gear needed on a school run, it might pay you to get a tow-bar fitted and invest in a trailer.聽

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WES180 said:

Does your Focus say Halfords along the side too?馃槈

1 hour ago, mozz said:

With all this extra gear needed on a school run, it might pay you to get a tow-bar fitted and invest in a trailer.聽

馃槀

My commute from work is 15 miles each way along relatively urban roads, but regularly then travel 40-50 miles along motorways and rural roads where I want a nice comfy place to sit if the unexpected happens and I can't get going again... I was a scout - be prepared!聽

• Haha 1

A length of rope (Or thick cable ties), shovel, plastic tarpaulin, a couple of bags of lime, disposable coveralls聽and rubber gloves.[emoji44][emoji23]

You鈥檒l also need an alibi with this type of kit in your boot lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Lol :biggrin:

13 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Thanks, I forgot that. Also need a set of fake number plates, a false moustache and a pair of sunglasses!馃槈

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, WES180 said:

Thanks, I forgot that. Also need a set of fake number plates, a false moustache and a pair of sunglasses!馃槈

馃ぃ馃ぃ

On 2/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Amanda2007 said:

LOL, have a blanket, torch, first aid kit, jump starter pack, extending wheel brace and sunglasses 馃槢

Have still to figure out what type of bulbs I need, seems to be some confusion re this topic.

Just wondering if there's any vital relays that are known to go pop?

If you're diagnosing relays you're probably at breakdown service level, I don't carry any in particular.

A lot of them are also built into the GEM and require dismantling and desoldering/resoldering to replace. The wiper relays are like this.

• Thanks 1

AA or RAC member card聽 I find are really useful, they've normally got more on board than I have 馃構

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wilto said:

AA or RAC member card聽 I find are really useful, they've normally got more on board than I have 馃構

true :smile:

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club