Amanda2007

Fuses - Relays?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

bought a 2007 Focus 1.4L petrol in January.

Picked up some mini fuses today as the cigarette lighter isn't working.

I now have plenty of 5,10,15, 20, 25 and 30 amp fuses.

Is there anything else I should consider to keep in the car for emergencies? Higher rated fuses / Common relays?

Thanks.

Amanda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I always have cable ties in mine. they did come in use once , a handbrake cable plastic clip broker and the cable dropped down a bit so it kept scraping on the road over bumps etc. Cable tie did the job.

and some bicycle brake cables? many years ago my brother bothered my Ford Sierra. On a motorway in Belgium an exhaust mount broker and the exhaust was scraping on the road. He had his bicycle in the back and some basic tools. He cut the brake cables off his bike with some pliers. He then chiselled two holes through floor of car under the back seat, threaded the brake cables through to tie the exhaust up. Good bit of improvising.

If you are going to carry spare light bulbs make sure you have the neccessary tools to change a bulb, which will often include Torx head screwdrivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, isetta said:

He cut the brake cables off his bike with some pliers. He then chiselled two holes through floor of car under the back seat, threaded the brake cables through to tie the exhaust up. Good bit of improvising.

Lol 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few pairs of disposable gloves and an extending wheel brace. I only get punctures when it's raining or snowing. Much easier to get the wheel bolts undone with an extending wheel brace than the short thing which Ford supply. All this assuming that there is actually a spare wheel, jack and brace in the car and not a compressor plus gunge. If it needs more than a wheel changing then it needs a breakdown service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dezwez said:

bulbs first aid box blanket and a map book 🙂

LOL, have a blanket, torch, first aid kit, jump starter pack, extending wheel brace and sunglasses 😛

Have still to figure out what type of bulbs I need, seems to be some confusion re this topic.

Just wondering if there's any vital relays that are known to go pop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good point about the wheel spanner, the ones you get with the car are normally useless as not enough leverage. I always have the cross type as you can push with foot on one side whilst pulling with your hands on the other side

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wheel+brace&FORM=HDRSC2

put a bit of tape or paint on the end that fits your wheel nuts

the extending type are better if you want it to double as a weapon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, F0CUE said:

A screwdriver so you can change bulbs not so easy with headlight in place.

Yeah, I generally carry a fairly good tool kit also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 3:46 AM, dezwez said:

bulbs first aid box blanket and a map book 🙂

Where do I begin... 😂 Like a mobile garage!

  • First aid kit (comprehensive)
  • Tool kit (Wheel brace, pliers, screwdriver bits + handle, test light, bulbs + fuses, OBDII dongle, tow rope, jump leads, duct tape)
  • Hi vis jacket
  • Screenwash
  • Engine oil (1L)
  • Glass cleaner + spout (for pouring screenwash) + cloths
  • Blanket

Have been meaning to buy one of the £5 jobby socket sets from eBay to keep in the boot too. Duct tape came to the rescue when I hit a sheep to hold the plastic bits of bumper back together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Micro said:

Where do I begin... 😂 Like a mobile garage!

  • First aid kit (comprehensive)
  • Tool kit (Wheel brace, pliers, screwdriver bits + handle, test light, bulbs + fuses, OBDII dongle, tow rope, jump leads, duct tape)
  • Hi vis jacket
  • Screenwash
  • Engine oil (1L)
  • Glass cleaner + spout (for pouring screenwash) + cloths
  • Blanket

 

Does your Focus say Halfords along the side too?😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all this extra gear needed on a school run, it might pay you to get a tow-bar fitted and invest in a trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WES180 said:

Does your Focus say Halfords along the side too?😉

 

1 hour ago, mozz said:

With all this extra gear needed on a school run, it might pay you to get a tow-bar fitted and invest in a trailer. 

😂

My commute from work is 15 miles each way along relatively urban roads, but regularly then travel 40-50 miles along motorways and rural roads where I want a nice comfy place to sit if the unexpected happens and I can't get going again... I was a scout - be prepared! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A length of rope (Or thick cable ties), shovel, plastic tarpaulin, a couple of bags of lime, disposable coveralls and rubber gloves.

You’ll also need an alibi with this type of kit in your boot lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:


You’ll also need an alibi with this type of kit in your boot lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:


You’ll also need an alibi with this type of kit in your boot lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I forgot that. Also need a set of fake number plates, a false moustache and a pair of sunglasses!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WES180 said:

Thanks, I forgot that. Also need a set of fake number plates, a false moustache and a pair of sunglasses!😉

🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Amanda2007 said:

LOL, have a blanket, torch, first aid kit, jump starter pack, extending wheel brace and sunglasses 😛

Have still to figure out what type of bulbs I need, seems to be some confusion re this topic.

Just wondering if there's any vital relays that are known to go pop?

If you're diagnosing relays you're probably at breakdown service level, I don't carry any in particular.

A lot of them are also built into the GEM and require dismantling and desoldering/resoldering to replace. The wiper relays are like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AA or RAC member card  I find are really useful, they've normally got more on board than I have 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wilto said:

AA or RAC member card  I find are really useful, they've normally got more on board than I have 😋

true :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.