Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres

sioneon

The time is coming for new tyres in the next couple of months so I'm after suggestions for what to put on.

Got a 1.0 ecoboost st-line with the 17" wheels and done 20k miles. Currently has 3 of the original continentals on plus an avon zz5. I can't feel any difference between them nor has there been any difference in wear rate.

So, give me your suggestions and experiences please 🙂

If you haven't noticed a difference with the odd one then its probably not worth putting decent tyres on for you.  Might as well just stick with the Avons as they're about the cheapest midrange brand.

I couldn’t have an odd tyre, it would bother me everytime I drove lol.

ive just fitted Bridgestone Weather Control A005 to my Focus ST Line, 18s. They are quiet and smooth, grip is very good and haven’t noticed a drop in mpg. Paid £120/corner

The ZZ5 has £20 off when you buy 4 from Black Circles. I’ve always found that Avon’s wear a little quicker than I would like

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I couldn’t have an odd tyre, it would bother me everytime I drove lol.

Me too, got to be the same make for either side.

I ran a few of the lower end brands on my previous car and as far as doing a job they do it fairly ok (unless it's an obscure chinese brand - run away from those as quick as you can lol) but when it comes to traction on wet surfaces or even dry at higher cornering speeds, they're very underwhelming. 

I'm currently running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and they are pricey (but came with the car from new) but they are excellent performers. Grip is excellent and wet surface performance is also very good. 

Depends on what is a priority for you but if you have a fairly conservative driving style, I'd think the Avons would be a good buy. 

20 minutes ago, DG97 said:

I ran a few of the lower end brands on my previous car and as far as doing a job they do it fairly ok (unless it's an obscure chinese brand - run away from those as quick as you can lol) but when it comes to traction on wet surfaces or even dry at higher cornering speeds, they're very underwhelming. 

I'm currently running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and they are pricey (but came with the car from new) but they are excellent performers. Grip is excellent and wet surface performance is also very good. 

Depends on what is a priority for you but if you have a fairly conservative driving style, I'd think the Avons would be a good buy. 

The car is used as the daily family car so Uber corner grip isn't essential. I'd pay a little more for a bit more wear though. I know to avoid the Chinese rubbish and like the reassurance of a proper make.

I hate having the odd tyre too but I hit a pothole at 4k miles so I wasn't getting shot of another tyre which was almost new.

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

I'm currently running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's

I'm gonna stick with those for mine too.  Just can't fault them for grip.  Got 10,000 miles on them so far so hopefully a way to go yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

Same here. I've had 33,000 out of an earlier version of that tyre, but doubt I'll ever keep a car long enough to repeat it with my current low annual mileage. Have had perfectly satisfactory experience with Avons in the past, but do prefer matching tyres on each axle at least. Would agree with advice to stay away from brands you never heard of.

My car is built and awaiting delivery to the dealer. I do hope it comes with the Michelin's.

24 minutes ago, tef89 said:

I'm gonna stick with those for mine too.  Just can't fault them for grip.  Got 10,000 miles on them so far so hopefully a way to go yet. 

I’m currently running a set of winter tyres so in terms of time - i’ll definitely have the PS4’s for a longer time. Mileage wise I think i’ve done around 9500 miles on them and there is plenty more to come from them so I think not only will they offer best performance but will last for a lot of miles too which is a win win in my opinion 😄 

23 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Just got 12000 out of those, notbeven a years worth, mind its twisty round here so the fronts work hard, GrandCmax 1.5 tdci so a bit heavier car too, allways ran the mondeo on Avons couldnt fault them.

1 minute ago, nashdm2 said:

My car is built and awaiting delivery to the dealer. I do hope it comes with the Michelin's.

What spec did you order? I have a feeling depending on the spec you get either the Michelin’s PS4’s or a set of Continentals

20,000 miles on a set of tyres seems pretty poor are you sure the wheel alignment and tyre pressures are OK?

I've done 23,000 or so on my Continental tyres that it came with, and the tread is still 5.7mm on all tyres apart form front left being 5.5mm.

All FWD cars I've owned have worn slightly quicker on the front left, I'm assuming it's the roundabouts putting more load on the front left?

I would hope to get about 35-40,000 out of a set before they need replacing.

Think I'm nearing 21K with the factory tyres, both fronts under 3mm. Bridgestone Potenza RE05A, 205/40/17.

5 hours ago, DG97 said:

Agree with the PS4's being excellent - grip is unreal on my STLX. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, Ad@m said:

Think I'm nearing 21K with the factory tyres, both fronts under 3mm. Bridgestone Potenza RE05A, 205/40/17.

I reached around 23,000 at a similar wear rate on my fronts and ~5mm on the rears (same Bridgestone Potenza's).

In March 2018 I booked my car in to get two Hankook K120 VENTUS V12 EVO2 XL REP fitted to the rear and the Bridgestones moved forward but a few days before the booking I ended up with a screw in one of the rears ☹️. Made a silly decision on the day of the fitting as moved the undamaged Bridgetone forward and ended up with one new Hankook on the other side (should really have gone with all four sides new and kept the remaining Bridgestone as a spare).

The Hankooks were good for ~£83 a corner but coming from old worn tyres to new was night and day in itself.

Now running Michelin Pilot Sport 4's all round after I had to get one of the Hankooks replaced due to some side wall damage and the old Bridgestone up front was slipping in comparison to the new Hankook on the other side. Kept the two good Hankooks as spare. Put about ~1500 miles on the PS4's and they are much better in comparison to the Hankooks from new.

2 hours ago, Blatto said:

20,000 miles on a set of tyres seems pretty poor are you sure the wheel alignment and tyre pressures are OK?

I've done 23,000 or so on my Continental tyres that it came with, and the tread is still 5.7mm on all tyres apart form front left being 5.5mm.

All FWD cars I've owned have worn slightly quicker on the front left, I'm assuming it's the roundabouts putting more load on the front left?

I would hope to get about 35-40,000 out of a set before they need replacing.

4mm all round with the front/rears swapped after 1st year. I do like to corner quite fast, preserve the momentum and save some fuel.

Ideally want to keep the tread above 3mm so planning ahead now. I have another car which has managed 40k miles on a set of tyres but it's got no power or grip.

4 hours ago, DG97 said:

What spec did you order? I have a feeling depending on the spec you get either the Michelin’s PS4’s or a set of Continentals

Its a Vignale. I would like Mich as a first choice but would be happy with Conti's.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club