Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Ford Edge

eddiek

Anyone on here got the new Ford Edge.  Was just wondering if there is any modification to the rear door / rear wheel arch seal.  The amount of road grit and dirt along the inside of door bottoms and the actual seal where it fits onto arch is unreal and a very poor design  by Ford.   Anyone ?

I’d rather that design than a conventional seal arrangement where inside the door checks gets all mucky then you get that on your trouser leg / dress. 

I've yet to see a new one in the Ford showroom, but, I doubt they will have changed this design. Typically, a freshening is a minimal low cost change, focusing on the visual things that make the biggest impact. From what I've heard sales of the Edge in Europe have been disappointing, being outsold by the mustang in Europe last year. Having scoured the Ford dealerships to see one without success and spoken to the sales people Ford dealers don't seem to interested in selling them, they keep pushing Fiesta, Focus, Ecosport and Kuga. I also consider that with the downspec of the Titanium pushing you towards the ST-line it makes this a significantly more expensive purchase facing some stiff competition from the premium brands.

My Edge Sport will be 3 years old next December and I have been looking at the MKII on Fords website and priced one with all the toys and it worked out over £49k.  For this sort of money I could buy a 1 year old BMW X5 with lots of toys.

Likewise- looked to swap my 17 plate Sport for the new ST line and it was about £13000 more than I paid for mine when it was new- with hefty depreciation on top of that. Safe to say I won’t be swapping! 

I can’t comment on the new Edge but I was fed up of the dirt on the inside of the doors so I bought some generic automotive seals and cut to size. 

Fitted in November and haven’t had any issues with dirt since. No build up of dirt behind the seals. Doesn’t seem to affect the other seals either. 

AB88807C-1F26-4426-A7D9-53A8985B744C.jpeg

331F9593-8735-4484-9463-98BA13DA5729.png

You do realise the slots at each end of the sill is the drain for the inside of the door skins (i.e. when water goes down the window seal!). So you've now prevented that from draining away, which will just rot your door panel from the inside out!

It's better to just wipe it clean and clear the drains every week when you wash it.

• Like 1

@Owen1988 very nice and neat, but like @simonb65 I’d be a bit concerned about the drainage holes. Don’t suppose this would be an issue for some time though. 

Havn't seen a new Edge in the flesh yet, but the price has shot up!  Titanium is only 2wd, all the others are AWD but over £40,000 which puts them in the higher tax band. All auto boxes now with a 10 speed auto box.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, Fergieman said:

Havn't seen a new Edge in the flesh yet, but the price has shot up!  Titanium is only 2wd, all the others are AWD but over £40,000 which puts them in the higher tax band. All auto boxes now with a 10 speed auto box.

The new auto boxes are 8 speed not 10. A well specified Sport Lux in the previous shape was well over £40k anyway so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. No-one in their right mind should buy a brand new Edge unless you have money to burn, no different for the pre or post facelift versions. A 6 month old example with less than 10k miles on the clock on the other hand is a very sensible buy and will be thousands (if not ten thousand) pounds less than the list price. That's where the sensible money goes.

• 1 month later...

They just look like a giant Ford Fiesta

6 hours ago, theguy5 said:

Worthwhile comment. 🙄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, theguy5 said:

That's the perception you get when they apply the same styling concepts across a range of cars. I have to say there isn't much difference between the KA+, Fiesta and Focus now (apart from size), but Fiesta to EDGE (which is actually based on the Mondeo platform) is a bit of a stretch!

• 3 weeks later...

The UK Dealer network received word today that the Edge is now being discontinued in right hand drive...

Production will end mid -September .

Bye Bye Edge in UK !

I can’t say that this surprises me. The original UK Edge is still a rare thing on the road and although the face lifted car came out (early January?) I have still yet to actually see one! I’ve been thinking about what to do when my lease comes to an end, but certainly will not consider a new Edge at over £40k (+ toys) and £450 a year road tax... It’s a shame, because I love driving my Edge...

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that the door edges are still the same - get covered in crap!

I thought about adding a seal strip but wondered what effect blocking the drain holes would have - it's on my watch list for the future

Have yet to see another Edge in my area :eek:

Have added a couple of sealing strip to mine and much improved.  If you have a look inside wheel arch you will see exactly where the seal strip is needed.  See pictures. Doesn`t go near drain holes so no worries about blocking drains. 

20190716_113018.jpg

20190716_113025.jpg

• Thanks 1