StephenFord

Cheapest way to convert to DAB radio?

Recommended Posts

I have outgrown Radio 2 and now listen alot to LBC which is only broadcast on DAB. What is the CHEAPEST way to get DAB in my focus? I do not want to change the head unit if at all possible, but rather look at some kind of 'converter' that will get a DAB signal then shove it over to the standard head unit on FM. Quality doesn't enter into it, not interested, my 'sub woofer' days ended 30 years ago LOL Anyone any experience of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well that was quick LOL Have now bought your suggestion and what a great price, others selling the same item for more than 3 times the price! Just hope they send it to me now and it isn't a listing error 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us know if it's good or not, I might invest in one if it's ok. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wilto said:

Let us know if it's good or not, I might invest in one if it's ok. 👍

If you have bluetooth the 350 version is another tenner or so...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112636607277

 

Or even more cheapskate but not sure on the working...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113196390576

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I've no need of BluTooth as I have one of these already fitted for my phone. The quality is extraordinary, with callers being able to hear me clearly, and their voice booming out over my 'radio', I love it! The price is amazing, and anyone who is ever done for using their phone in the car without 'handsfree' deserve everything they get...

HandsFree BluTooth car kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't agree with hands free because your mind is set on listening and replying more than paying full attention to driving. More so cos I work in call center and have idiots trying to sort stuff out whilst driving lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

I still don't agree with hands free because your mind is set on listening and replying more than paying full attention to driving. More so cos I work in call center and have idiots trying to sort stuff out whilst driving lol

I absolutely agree. The main use I put it to is to answer a call, then tell them I'm driving, and to call me back when I'm not! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl_edit_1551695203276.thumb.jpg.d129c091ff371217f628ef950df8cf5b.jpg

Old Nokia ticked all the box's when my stock so my headunit sold on eBay and I was still saving up the extra cash to purchase the Pioneer headunit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never understood Jap cars styling...  They clearly spend an awful lot on exterior aesthetics...  And then just mash a big grey slab of plastic in the dash. :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never understood Jap cars styling...  They clearly spend an awful lot on exterior aesthetics...  And then just mash a big grey slab of plastic in the dash. :laugh: 

mmm... whereas the Focus dash is a thing of beauty! LOL 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... whereas the Focus dash is a thing of beauty! LOL 🤣

Not in the prefacelift, that is pretty horrific lol, and one of the main reasons I waited until I could afford a facelift model! :laugh:

The facelift dash with electronic climate, round edged Sony unit and Titanium effect fascia is pretty good looking imo! :smile: 

Image result for ford focus mk2 climate control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I don't know, I think the pre facelift has a certain right angle charm LOL

1791363212_dashLoRes.thumb.jpg.c760ee8a68db0e065356995932e89fa2.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a kit and a brilliant price! The package is about the size of a shoe box and arrived 48 hours after order, simply don't know how they do it for the price with free P&P! Anyway, just fitted it, took about 20 minutes with the longest bit tracking the aerial wire to the center console. Fired her up, she immediately tuned in all available DAB stations, and then shot out an FM broadcast which I just tuned into. Sounds brilliant. It's almost worth the £99 that Halfords sell it at, but that £23 Ebay link is amazing!!

985740465_FocusDABstrip.thumb.jpg.90487244b63397230473a5387a4fd045.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Wow, what a kit and a brilliant price! The package is about the size of a shoe box and arrived 48 hours after order, simply don't know how they do it for the price with free P&P! Anyway, just fitted it, took about 20 minutes with the longest bit tracking the aerial wire to the center console. Fired her up, she immediately tuned in all available DAB stations, and then shot out an FM broadcast which I just tuned into. Sounds brilliant. It's almost worth the £99 that Halfords sell it at, but that £23 Ebay link is amazing!!

985740465_FocusDABstrip.thumb.jpg.90487244b63397230473a5387a4fd045.jpg

After all that complaining; it Looks like a Delfi turbo timer from a Japanese drift car 😂

30953621_max.thumb.jpg.a7d59ae0e9899283f7fe2cf49d6967cf.jpg

I gotta ask; 

How many ways can it be ok?

I see a rotational knob with ok, most things either are or there not like this thing has various ok's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

After all that complaining; it Looks like a Delfi turbo timer from a Japanese drift car 😂

I gotta ask; 

How many ways can it be ok?

I see a rotational knob with ok, most things either are or there not like this thing has various ok's

I'm not entirely sure of your question but I'll have a go. As per the knob graphic, you can twist it clockwise and anti clockwise for various options. To confirm an option, you then press the button, again, as per the graphic. Was that your question or am I way off track? Oh, and who was complaining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm not entirely sure of your question but I'll have a go. As per the knob graphic, you can twist it clockwise and anti clockwise for various options. To confirm an option, you then press the button, again, as per the graphic. Was that your question or am I way off track?

I was just joking mate but anyways; 

thanks for the clarification 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, I was proudly showing off my DAB conversion to a friend, explaining how easy it was, and that I was just in luck with the amount of cable supplied with the aerial as there were only a couple of inches to spare.  I demonstrated how I fed the wire along the full width of the roof lining, then down the driver side A pillar, then down under the dash to it's eventual termination. He then just looked at me and asked, 'why did you do that?', then following up with he'd have fed it down the passenger A pillar, and under the dash, making the cable run half of what I did. I stared at him, then wondered why people let me out without the aid of adult supervision!! Of course that's what I should have done, D'oh!! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.