Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2/MK2.5 Front lower arm replacement

rhyds

Well my Focus has picked up an advisory for its front lower suspension arm bushes (on both sides) and the tester has suggested changing them pretty soon.

From what I'm told the easiest way to tackle the job is to replace the whole arm complete with bushes and ball joint, and that the whole ensemble should just bolt in.

What I'm unsure about is the following:

1: The online parts sellers have two arms listed, 18mm and 21mm. I'm told this refers to the ball joint pin diameter. Is there any way of finding this size out before pulling the suspension apart?

2: There's a wide range of brands and prices, from ECP Starline at around £80 a side pre discount to GSF "Premium" at over £200 a side pre discount. I'd like to fit a decent quality part to the car as its a long term keeper, can anyone suggest a decent brand or supplier for these parts?

1.  Almost certainly 21mm on a facelift with a large engine.  But always best to check.  There is a coloured band on the BJ which I think you can see without dismantling the whole lot.

2.  The genuine Ford ones are probably best but very expensive.  I fitted some mid-range Delphi branded arms to mine (£130 the pair) and still thought the handling wasn't as tight as when I first bought the car - although obviously better than with the slack bushes I was replacing.  Mister-Auto are often cheapest for this sort of thing.

• Like 2

1.  Almost certainly 21mm on a facelift with a large engine.  But always best to check.  There is a coloured band on the BJ which I think you can see without dismantling the whole lot.
2.  The genuine Ford ones are probably best but very expensive.  I fitted some mid-range Delphi branded arms to mine (£130 the pair) and still thought the handling wasn't as tight as when I first bought the car - although obviously better than with the slack bushes I was replacing.  Mister-Auto are often cheapest for this sort of thing.
Thanks. I usually go for decent stuff like Lemforder/Delphi so that sounds like an option.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Don't hold me to it but if I remember rightly, if the front has like a brake shield around the hubs then its 18mm, if it doesnt, its 21mm. The main thing I do remember is the 18mm were really only used on the first run of Mk2s, so I would expect yours to be 21mm - Again, not solid though!

Mines is a 2008 with brake shields and ended up being 21 as I ended up buying both cos couldn't get an answer. Ford won't tell you either.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:17 PM, F0CUE said:

Ford won't tell you either.

Too true; in my experience they said it's either or, and to sort out they'd book it in and order both and fit the correct ones.  Thats the answer given when I enquired about replacing the ball joints only, and all at a cost of around £236/Side when arms were mentioned..

I stuck with a set of locally sourced 'Karlmann' 21mm german arms complete with bushes and joints for 49.99.. couple of hours to swap and then the only other necessity was to get the tracking done- Damn thing near killed me at every opportunity after the swap, was only 1 degree out as well but it made for one hell of a challenge to handle on any form of bump.. 😖

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club