Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Mk3 ZS - Brake Calipers

Ubetcha

So I decided to add a splash of colour to my brake calipers and went ahead and order this:

My choice of colour was Blue, my reasoning was; when I first got into the car for a test drive I was hit by the blue vibe coming from the center console. Another reason is that the RS has blue brake calipers so I felt a certain pedigree.

At this point I've only done the front brake calipers, I need to buy a replacement paint brush and every where around here is closed on a Sunday and I'm not driving 140KM to go and buy one! I'll get one during next week and do the rear calipers next weekend.

For anyone else thinking about doing this modification, it is really straight forward and the destruction's pretty much cover everything, as with all forms of painting, preparation is key. I got myself a set of wire brushes specifically for this.

wirebrushes.jpg

One handy thing that I will point out is a good location for your axle stands to go, as pictured.

IMG_20190302_134529.jpg

A few more pictures.

IMG_20190302_134455.jpg

IMG_20190303_095402.jpg

One thing I did notice when putting the wheels back on was these little wheel nut caps keep popping off, looks like I'm going to need to buy a few as replacements for the future when I notice that I've lost any..

Genuine-Ford-Focus-Fiesta-C-Max-Kuga-Ranger-Wheel.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this.

I have been thinking about doing mine and seeing how straightforward it is was just the push I needed. 

Paint kit ordered and on the way 

• Like 1

I'm a bit old for coloured calipers now so I did mine silver so they always look like new. 🙂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, WES180 said:

I'm a bit old for coloured calipers now so I did mine silver so they always look like new. 🙂

Oh deer, I've painted mine yellow, 😚 I'm only 52 though, if I were over 55 I wouldn't have bothered 😂

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, wilto said:

Oh deer, I've painted mine yellow, 😚 I'm only 52 though, if I were over 55 I wouldn't have bothered 😂

ROFL, I had 'yellow' calipers on my Diablo Red 1999 306 GTi-6 when I was 26..

I'm possibly too old for coloured calipers by the sounds of it! (41) hahaha

On 3/4/2019 at 4:34 PM, WillP said:

Thank you for this.

I have been thinking about doing mine and seeing how straightforward it is was just the push I needed. 

Paint kit ordered and on the way 

Great to hear, well done WillP, you'll love it.

On a side note, two of those blasted wheel nut caps have came off whilst on the road so I'm thinking about buying these:

I presume they'll fit (referring to the Masters of the forum!!!)

@Ubetcha Yeah, I'm 41 too but if you feel you're still young enough to pull off painted calipers without the kids laughing at you then paint away mate!😉

@wilto 52 with yellow calipers???? All I will say is each to their own mate and if it makes you happy then that's all that matters, just ignore all the kids!😁

Haha @Wes180 your only as young as the woman your with!! and living in a rural area there ain't that many kids judging (obviously excluding my own, but they don't count!) 😎

Out of interest Wes, did you get chance to 'look at my nutz' ?? ROFL!!

Yeah I did have a quick look at your nuts😀

I think it's quite common for them to come apart. I had to replace a couple on my old Cmax but luckily my mate had some spare ones for me.

3 hours ago, WES180 said:

Yeah I did have a quick look at your nuts😀

I think it's quite common for them to come apart. I had to replace a couple on my old Cmax but luckily my mate had some spare ones for me.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is.. are these the correct size? M12 x 1.5 19mm

I'm pretty sure they are but I just want to double check with the more knowledgeable on here.. i.e. you Wes!! 

31 minutes ago, Ubetcha said:

I'm pretty sure they are but I just want to double check with the more knowledgeable on here.. i.e. you Wes!! 

I know nothing about cars in general lol, just my own personal experiences.

On Ford Parts UK there are two different types of nut listed and bizarrely neither fits yours or my car according to the fitment dates. The two types listed look visually different from the front and I'm sure the tapers on the rear differ too.

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/alloy-wheel-nut-1222

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/alloy-wheel-nut-1223

If no one else answers then I would ring you local Ford parts department for a definitive answer on the correct part number. Other than that nip down to a local breakers yard if you're near any and get a few off another Focus that you can see are the same.

I reckon there is a typo error on the second link fitment details I posted but I could be wrong.

Edit - I didn't look at your link sorry and  wrongly assumed you were buying genuine Ford replacements!

• Confused 1

Cheers Wes, I'll look into this again in a while when I'm not rushing and maybe somebody else will have some input in the mean time. Thanks again

15 hours ago, Ubetcha said:

Hi Rob, I was having the same issue as you regarding the caps coming off the nuts.

I'm 95% sure that's the size I ordered for my MK2.5 Zetec S, it's roughly what I payed for them to. I'll have a look on my eBay history to see if I can find the purchase and get back to you.

18 hours ago, Ubetcha said:

Hi Rob, I was having the same issue as you regarding the caps coming off the nuts.

I'm 95% sure that's the size I ordered for my MK2.5 Zetec S, it's roughly what I payed for them to. I'll have a look on my eBay history to see if I can find the purchase and get back to you.

I've just checked the nut is M12 x 1.5 and the Ford part number is 1678260

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilto said:

I've just checked the nut is M12 x 1.5 and the Ford part number is 1678260

You are my hero! Great stuff, thanks Wilto

EDIT : I Presume Mk2's are the same as Mk3's?

EDIT, EDIT : A very quick reply from the eBay vendor and he say's they'll fit, ordered.

I've been doing bits and bobs on the car today, I started off finishing  the brake caliper painting (I hadn't painted the rears last weekend) so here's a few pictures of what's involved.. It's really child's play but if you've never done this then at least you can see what's involved.

Caliper Wire Brushed.jpg

Caliper wire brushed.

Caliper Spray Cleaner.jpg

Caliper spray cleaner (provided) then wiped down with an old rag.

Caliper Masked Up.jpg

Caliper masked up.

Caliper 1st Coat of Paint.jpg

Caliper 1st coat of paint

Rear Caliper Painted.jpg

Calipers 2nd coat of paint (I haven't finished the passenger side yet, so this is the drivers side)

Rear Wheel Painted.jpg

Masking tape removed and wheel refitted.

I also wanted to show you how much paint is left over after painting four calipers, a hell of a lot (as you can see, I haven't even used a fifth of the paint pot)

How much Paint Is left Over.jpg

Hmm.. what else could I paint? I don't want to go mad painting everything but something subtle? Here's an idea..

Engine Cover Masked Up.jpg

I'd spray it silver then inject the blue in to the ford badge using a printer cartridge refill syringe,

Mask up everything after than then sand off the masking tape from the "EcoBoost" and spray black. Done it on my 1.6TDCi 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I'd spray it silver then inject the blue in to the ford badge using a printer cartridge refill syringe,

Mask up everything after than then sand off the masking tape from the "EcoBoost" and spray black. Done it on my 1.6TDCi 

Yes that would be indeed a nice touch, unfortunately I've just painted the whole thing Blue! I'll see how it looks once it's had a second coat and then maybe I'll add some detailing.

I've got a shed load of paint left though!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ubetcha said:

Yes that would be indeed a nice touch, unfortunately I've just painted the whole thing Blue! I'll see how it looks once it's had a second coat and then maybe I'll add some detailing.

I've got a shed load of paint left though!

Each to there own styling mate i look forward to seeing pictures,

I won't upload pictures on your thread but if your interested to see my engine cover; see page 8 of my build here

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/?do=findComment&comment=268195

And page 10 here has the blue injection being done.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/?do=findComment&comment=278449

• Like 2

OK, so for today's Friday Fun! 

Here's a big bag of my new nuts..

Big Bag of New Nutz.jpg

A a close up on a pair of my nuts.. oo-er!

A Pair of My New Nutz.jpg

Why change my nuts? Here's why..

Missing Caps.jpg

Here's a cracking tip for you:

Cracking Trick.jpg

New vs Old..

New vs Old.jpg

Never again will this happen to me.. yay!

Never Again.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ubetcha said:

OK, so for today's Friday Fun! 

A a close up on a pair of my nuts.. oo-er!

Ok, seeing as it's Friday, here's a pic of my nuts too!

Screenshot_20190315-191046_Gallery.thumb.jpg.af0aa0437cdc4655eb4af9aea3dbc5bb.jpg

Excuse the weight, I was doing some curls!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, WES180 said:

Ok, seeing as it's Friday, here's a pic of my nuts too!

Excuse the weight, I was doing some curls!

Proper knob

• Haha 1

Dirty Boyz.. ROFL

EDIT: How do you fit everything through a 3cm hole? 😌

1 hour ago, Ubetcha said:

Dirty Boyz.. ROFL

EDIT: How do you fit everything through a 3cm hole? 😌

It's an olympic bar weight, 5cm hole! 😂

11 hours ago, WES180 said:

It's an olympic bar weight, 5cm hole! 😂

I had a similar situation once; 

Doctor give me really strong antibiotics which gave me a male version of thrush, causing the glands to swell up either side of the head like the same size as a ring doughnut, 

Its called Paraphimos, 

I ended up in A&E where the had to squeeze the head back in to the pouch, 

Took few years to come right again. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i'd share some quick pictured of my Zetec S painted calipers. I used the same paint just in red but I can't seem to attach the image from Imgur 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1