Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Wobble / Vibration

ian877

Hi Everyone

Just joined the forum and I have this problem, I've been to the doctors (sorry wrong forum).

I have a 2005 1.6 Focus Zetec Climate and it has develped a wobble/vibration. This starts at about 40mph and gets progressively worse to 50mph where it starts to peter out at 60mph. After 60mph the wobble/vibration is still there when you press the accelerator down but not as bad as at 50mph. It is worse when the engine is under load, i.e. when going uphill or accelerating, basically when the accellorator is applied. Going down hill with no or very little accelloration the car is fine. The car has had new tyres that have all been balanced. The car has been into two garages and one has pinpointed the problem to the front off side wheel. The other garage has checked all the joints and drive shafts and said they were all sound. I have done some research on the internet and found people having similar problems some of them have decided to live with the problem as they cannot cure it. However I believe I have narrowed it down to either the R/H drive shaft or the engine mounts. I have contacted my local Ford garage and they have informed me that the engine mounts very rarely fail.

My problem is trying to pinpoint the fault as there is a number of possibilities, just wandering if anyone has any ideas or a similar problem, any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Ian

possible shaft out of balance?

driveshaft or buckled wheel a buckled wheel is usually balanced out most times people arent told its buckled so ide have the front wheels checked

driveshaft or buckled wheel a buckled wheel is usually balanced out most times people arent told its buckled so ide have the front wheels checked

Thanks both for the replies much appreciated. Would it be worth giving it a run with the space saver wheel on to eliminate the buckled wheel?

Thanks both for the replies much appreciated. Would it be worth giving it a run with the space saver wheel on to eliminate the buckled wheel?

worth a try vibration from the front is buckled or unbalanced wheels or driveshaft worn ball joint throughout the car can be the rears out of balance if it is the front swap it with the rear and it will even it oput more

I have had a thought about the buckled/unbalanced wheel, I don't think it's that as the vibration vanishes down hill when I'm not pressing the accelerator, but returns when I do press it. If it was the wheels it would be there all the time.

i have the same problem its !Removed! horrible. i replaced the ball joint and i think i have pinpointed it to being the front knuckle where the pinch bolt sit's through i think vibration damage has made it so it doesnt fit tightly.

i have the same problem its !Removed! horrible. i replaced the ball joint and i think i have pinpointed it to being the front knuckle where the pinch bolt sit's through i think vibration damage has made it so it doesnt fit tightly.

Thats definately food for thought, last night I convinved myself it was the drive shaft. I will have to get it up on sticks and have a good look as I don't want to fork out for a new drive shaft to find out its something else. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian

I removed the right hand drive shaft on Tuesday and I had arranged to pick a replacement up from Mill Auto Supplies at £91 plus VAT. Unfortunately, it turned out to be for a Mk 1 Focus so the only option I had left was Ford as I was told the drive shaft company were not making them for the Mk 2 Focus as it was too new. I went to Ford and I nearly fell through the floor, they wanted £475 for one. However they did tell me that they had never had to change a drive shaft and it was more than likely the intermediate bearing, so I thought it was worth a shot.

So I have replaced the intermediate bearing, removed the gators from the CV joints and the bearings look fine, re-packed them with grease and sealed the gators down again. The shaft look good no play in it. I have refitted the drive shaft and took it for a test drive. I would say it has only improved marginally, the vibration/wobble is definately still there when accelerating and still worse when accelerating up hill.

I checked all around the wheel while changing the drive shaft but all seems solid, I'm at a loss really what to try next. I was thinking of looking at the engine and gearbox mounts.

I do have a question. I appreciate that a ball and cage CV joint cannot have play about its torque axis, however can it have play about its longitudinal axis? Almost like it has some end float.

If anyone has any more ideas I would be grateful even on how to pin point the problem.

Cheers

Ian

I removed the right hand drive shaft on Tuesday and I had arranged to pick a replacement up from Mill Auto Supplies at £91 plus VAT. Unfortunately, it turned out to be for a Mk 1 Focus so the only option I had left was Ford as I was told the drive shaft company were not making them for the Mk 2 Focus as it was too new. I went to Ford and I nearly fell through the floor, they wanted £475 for one. However they did tell me that they had never had to change a drive shaft and it was more than likely the intermediate bearing, so I thought it was worth a shot.

So I have replaced the intermediate bearing, removed the gators from the CV joints and the bearings look fine, re-packed them with grease and sealed the gators down again. The shaft look good no play in it. I have refitted the drive shaft and took it for a test drive. I would say it has only improved marginally, the vibration/wobble is definately still there when accelerating and still worse when accelerating up hill.

I checked all around the wheel while changing the drive shaft but all seems solid, I'm at a loss really what to try next. I was thinking of looking at the engine and gearbox mounts.

I do have a question. I appreciate that a ball and cage CV joint cannot have play about its torque axis, however can it have play about its longitudinal axis? Almost like it has some end float.

If anyone has any more ideas I would be grateful even on how to pin point the problem.

Cheers

Ian

ian my friend to put it simply whole front ends have been replaced and to no avail youll spend a fortune changing bits removing bits and in the end it will sttill be there playing with youre head ive seen the mechanics at my old work curse swear and throw wobblys at these things and after dozens of garages replaced cvs bearings wheels droplinks tie rod ends etcc etc it still hasnt gone engine mounts nope this vibration if happening when accelerating could be from the gearbox the clutch/ input shaft any one of them or even none garages will look at it take youre cash and tell you its this and that as long as you pay for it best way to track these things down is let it get worse if indeed it does

Artscot

I think you are right I have been considering this course of action. Its just that the wobble is really annoying, also the thought that it could go at any time, there again so could anything on the car. All things considered I think you're right and thats the way forward.

You are so right it does play with your head :blink:

Many thanks

Ian

Artscot

I think you are right I have been considering this course of action. Its just that the wobble is really annoying, also the thought that it could go at any time, there again so could anything on the car. All things considered I think you're right and thats the way forward.

You are so right it does play with your head blink.gif

Many thanks

Ian

if somethings away it will get worse and become easily identifiable mate right now the car is safe no issues nowts going to fall off lol so ide learn to ignore it until it gets worse after all you could spend a fortune looking for these things and just end up with a pile of reciepts to show for it i had the same with my old passat in the end i ignored it it still irritated and nipped my head every so often but i gave up so did vw and every other garage

All i can think of is the run out on the flywheel is out and causing vibration under load.

if you dont want to spend loads just leave it till the clutch goes and then get the flywheel checked then to.

• 2 years later...

I have a very similar prblem to you ive had new tyres balanced and aligned and it didnt cure it any more ideas please ?

I have a very similar prblem to you ive had new tyres balanced and aligned and it didnt cure it any more ideas please ?