Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mondeo Tranny Failure

R1gger

Hi guys i am looking for advice.

I live in Munich and paid 8000 Euros for a 2.0 litre Ford Mondeo with 175Km privately in Decmber 18.

Hardly drove it until January, as home in UK for Xmas etc, then the auto gearbox started playing up and eventually failed completely. I am being quoted 5000 Euros to replace the tranny in Munich (they say they are unable to use a 2nd hand unit as they are hard coded with the VIN).

I am now looking at shipping the car back to UK and getting it repaired there or removing the Gearbox, shipping it each way for repair etc.
Is there any advice on the options i've outlined above?

Many thanks in advance

The power shift boxes are a pile of crap. However €5000 repair bill on a car that only costs €3000 more doesnt seem worth it for me. If you add up the cost of shipping, you probably could've bought 2 cars for the amount you've put into this one.

Personally would get shut and get another car with a sensible amount of milage on it and without the stupid powershift box.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, Luke4efc said:

The power shift boxes are a pile of crap. However €5000 repair bill on a car that only costs €3000 more doesnt seem worth it for me. If you add up the cost of shipping, you probably could've bought 2 cars for the amount you've put into this one.

Personally would get shut and get another car with a sensible amount of milage on it and without the stupid powershift box.

To be fair, the DCT450 unit which is fitted to the higher output engines is generally very reliable, the DCT250 however is a total dog.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, Luke4efc said:

Why do you say that and for what reason, I have one and have had it for a long time without any problem. My car is a 2011 model. 

26 minutes ago, shiner01 said:

Why do you say that and for what reason, I have one and have had it for a long time without any problem. My car is a 2011 model. 

As I mentioned in the post before yours, it depends on which box you've got.  DCT450 is pretty solid as far as dual clutch boxes go, it's the DCT250 which was fitted to the lower powered engines that was/is a total :shit:.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:11 AM, 1979Damian said:

As I mentioned in the post before yours, it depends on which box you've got.  DCT450 is pretty solid as far as dual clutch boxes go, it's the DCT250 which was fitted to the lower powered engines that was/is a total :shit:.

That's right it seems that the main trouble seems to have occurred in the Fiesta range of motors, mind you the DCT450 does require essential maintenance in the form of frequent oil changes, by that I mean every 12500 miles or 3 years which ever comes first.  Mine is being done next week for a price!! But then once done and properly looked after they are good to drive and give very smoothe and quick gear changes. During my motoring life I have had mainly manual gearboxes but now that I have reached 80 I am satisfied to drive an automatic and am finding it to quite a pleasure to do so.  I do miss the manual but then I do have sports drive which works very well. I do believe that one of the other reasons why there were problems with Powershift was that the DCT250 had dry clutches, whereas the DCT450 has wet clutches. 

• Like 2