Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Mk3 ZS - K&N

Ubetcha

Just a really quick post.. I was just reading the Clutch Plate recall thread and saw that WES180 posted this amazon link for a K&N..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/9289-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B00CR9WY38?tag=autocluautoclubinte-21

I was happily shocked at the price of £76.

Tell me, why are 'other' K&N's up in the €200 range?? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-57S-Air-Filter-Induction-Intake-Airbox-Kit-For-Ford-Focus-RS-Mk3-57S-4000/302342577490?hash=item4665059d52:g:8VoAAOSwaEhZN7Wv

That's a hell of an increase for an extra air box cover! Surely there is more to it than just that?!??

Nope, just a replacement lid with a K&N logo on the top and a smoothed underside. 

You would be better off either just buying the filter alone as I did or...... Get on eBay and buy a used complete air intake from a Focus ST as that has an additional cold air intake to the bottom of the box compared to ours and then stick a Focus RS open top lid on it.

I have a reoccurring fault on my car a couple of times a year which puts me into limp mode. I've never been able to pull a code with my reader but then I bought a modified elm327 and Forscan pulled a code P006A.

After googling the code it it suggests the most likely cause is a modified air intake to which I have suspected in the past.

I just live with it though as other than that the K&N sounds great and makes the car drive so much better. I carry my reader in the car so I can pull over, clear the code (even though it can't display it) and then full power is restored. I've heard Fiesta ST owners have also had the same problems.

Now that certainly sounds like a better idea Wes.. although I don't think that I'll need to go down that route (although I do like the idea) but as it's always freezing cold here I really don't think it will make that much difference? I had a quick Google and found aftermarket ones, I'm guessing you don't have a Ford part number for the Genuine ST one? I'm still tempted by the idea.

Something like this is it?

Steeda

Steeda.jpg

or Roush

Roush.jpg

Quick video on YouTube with the open RS lid.

Usually there are quite a few used ST boxes and pipes on eBay but I guess it's becoming a popular modification now so no complete units on there at the minute.

• Like 2

I fitted an RS lid with a modified top to my ST airbox and a K&N filter and it sounds pretty growly.
Stock photo but exactly how mine looks-

fb9701d9fe473115febfe7abd563b75f.jpg

Available from here (plain grilles available for non ST models)-
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143111919938

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

On 3/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, Stoney871 said:

I fitted an RS lid with a modified top to my ST airbox and a K&N filter and it sounds pretty growly.
Stock photo but exactly how mine looks-

fb9701d9fe473115febfe7abd563b75f.jpg

Available from here (plain grilles available for non ST models)-
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143111919938

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

I got all excited seeing that @ £25 before reading it's only the vent!!! ROFL

Found these two on eBay but they are a little pricey.. gonna keep an eye out for a second hand one.. note to my friendly breakers!

Don't forget though if you're looking at the complete ST/RS box rather than just the lid you will need the additional piping for the extra cold air feed too or you will be left with a big hole in the bottom of the box.

• Like 1

I quite liked the idea of the Steeda one that I pictured above, it looks like it feeds directly from the grille.

Otherwise yes, I understand that I would need to pipe cold air into it, but thanks for the heads up!

OK, so I've been researching this for the past few hours, really my eyes are starting to go square and I've almost had enough so I thought I'd share my findings with you:

I've written off the 'after market' cold air induction kits such as Steeda and Roush purely down to price, hey they look pretty but they're around £300 and I feel that's just overpriced and wasteful.

According to that video, this whole exercise will pretty much give zero performance gains so why would I throw away £300, I just can't justify throwing that much away..

So we're left with the RS air box which I'll probably go with. I got the part numbers and made a couple of pictures. Price wise the complete unit is around £130 whilst the top is around £80 so it's far more cost effective to go with the complete unit which even includes an RS paper air filter! I can justify throwing £130 at this idea.

I'll probably run the paper filter for a year and then upgrade it to a K&N E-9289 filter as mentioned at the top of this thread.

I'm a little concerned about the other pipes that go into the original RS box, my attached diagram doesn't show any piping for the underside so that's obviously not an RS/ST diagram. Is it just the 2nd cold air feed that will be missing, will everything else match up?

If I am missing an underside cold air feed the guys over at Focal Jet may have a rather cost effective solution.. I'd need some additional information relating to the underside of the RS filter box and if the 3" pipe will fit without modification or not, ultimately it's not really a problem but I do try to know as much as I can before I start these projects.

Actually looking a my own pictures of the RS airbox it looks like the second feed is below the filters inlet manifold? If that's the case I guess it could be blocked and I could cut a 3" whole in the bottom for the new ram air feed.

I'm gonna have a break now, my brain hurts!

RS Air Box Complete - G1FZ-9600-A - 1937555.jpg

RS Air Box Top Lid - G1FZ-9600-A - 5157363.jpg

Other bits.jpg

So as I said in my caliper thread, I've been doing bits and bobs on the car today. Whilst I waited for the first coat of caliper paint to dry I set about removing my audio fuse holder and replacing it with my newer one. Obviously to do this I need to remove the battery and what makes that task even easier is to remove the air filter's air box. That in itself is quite handy as I've never removed this before and thinking about changing this unit for an RS one it'll be very informative for me to do.

Airbox Removed.jpg

Airbox removed.

Airbox Underside.jpg

Airbox underside.

Lurking under airbox.jpg

What's lurking under the airbox?

Airbox held up to the light showing 3 tiny holes.jpg

Airbox held up to the light showing three tiny holes.

Question :

Am I supposed to have a device (can't remember it's name at the minute) connected to the underside of the air box and screwed up onto the chassis somewhere which minimises the intake sound, like a harmoniser or similar? I couldn't see one.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, Ubetcha said:

Question :

Am I supposed to have a device (can't remember it's name at the minute) connected to the underside of the air box and screwed up onto the chassis somewhere which minimises the intake sound, like a harmoniser or similar? I couldn't see one.

Answer :

No, stop reading those American threads and maybe you wont get confused!! American cars have a lot more 'state laws' and fit intake resonators to quieten down the noise, your UK car wouldn't have one of these!!

OK, so my next picture is a bit of a LOL, it's the prices for the different models of K&N's suitable for our vehicles, one hell of a difference in price seeing that really they don't improve things.

K&N.jpg

High lighted the E-2993 as I'll probably go for that one if I keep my closed Zetec airbox. I've been giving this some thought, yes the RS airbox looks fancy but it's not going to do very much in terms of performance so I'm just throwing a fair chunk of money down the drain. Hmm i'm undecided..

Should I decide to go ahead with the RS airbox, and possibly the E-9289 and remove the bung I know I'm going to enjoy the induction noise. Does anybody know the external diameter of the original RS paper air filter? 

The E-2993 Outer Diameter is 159mm, 

The E-9289 Base Outside Diameter 5.75 in (146 mm) according to this

I'm just wondering what the original RS paper filter outside diameter is so that I'll know if they'll be a gap or not. The more I think about this the more i'm moving away from this idea.

rs airbox side.jpg

Here's a side view of the RS airbox that you don't see too often, if I kept the E-2993 and upgraded to the RS airbox would the E-2993 seal against the edges of the RS airbox or would I have to then buy the E-9289?

The sides of all the filters must be the same size as they sit in a lip in the bottom section of the airbox and in the lip in the airbox lid to form the right hand side of the airbox. It's just the 9289 has a small removable bung in the centre of it.

If you're going for an RS lid I doubt there will be any difference In induction noise between the 2993 and 9289 because of the large opening in the top of it.

Let me know if you get the Engine Malfunction service Now along with P006A code if you fit either the 9289 with the removed bung or either filter with the RS lid. I get it a few times a year and am pretty sure it's the 9289 with bung removed causing it. I just put up with it though because it sounds great!

On 3/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, WES180 said:

The sides of all the filters must be the same size as they sit in a lip in the bottom section of the airbox and in the lip in the airbox lid to form the right hand side of the airbox. It's just the 9289 has a small removable bung in the centre of it.

If you're going for an RS lid I doubt there will be any difference In induction noise between the 2993 and 9289 because of the large opening in the top of it.

Let me know if you get the Engine Malfunction Service Now along with P006A code if you fit either the 9289 with the removed bung or either filter with the RS lid. I get it a few times a year and am pretty sure it's the 9289 with bung removed causing it. I just put up with it though because it sounds great!

I will do Wes :-D

• 1 year later...

Hi, just tried fitting e2993 to my focus st3 diesel but k&n is longer than original filter and I can’t close original airbox housing. Has anyone else found this issue?
i can close the left hand bolts but the right hand bolts are about 1/2 cm out

had many k&n’ before and never had an issue

48 minutes ago, Herbs said:

Hi, just tried fitting e2993 to my focus st3 diesel but k&n is longer than original filter and I can’t close original airbox housing. Has anyone else found this issue?
i can close the left hand bolts but the right hand bolts are about 1/2 cm out

had many k&n’ before and never had an issue

It's because the original outside diameter is 154 mm and the k&n you are trying is 159 mm.  I had that problem too with the ramair one I swapped from my old car you need to make sure the circle end is outside the box then slid over. It's fiddly but you will get there! And congrats on the thread revival 😂 

• Like 1

Okay thanks. Being direct replacement seemed daft wouldn’t fit.

Cheers

28e1ef0e83ee02770a3779d422598514.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Clive, you really must stop doing that :laugh:.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Clive, you really must stop doing that laugh.png.
I'll stop when people stop reviving dead threads.
It's getting like a zombie movie around here.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, mjt said:

Clive, you really must stop doing that :laugh:.

+1 I'm offended; I spend most my time on here these days lurking in the lagoon like a catfish waiting for the moment that someone mentions a home improvement or modification to a mk2.5 focus so I can enterprise on that to revive my old threads such as my full list of mk2.5 focus guides here: 👀

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

And my home improvement thread here: 👀

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

🙏Like & subscribe 🤝

• Like 1

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with Lenny (top diy tips btw😃). You see thread after thread on the same or similar topics and I suspect part of the problem is the search facility (which is similar to that used by other forums) not coming up with results. It's often better to search Google and find a link on there.

I would have thought it better to try and keep all the info on a particular topic together if possible, just to avoid the same question being asked over and over?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, WES180 said:

Nope, just a replacement lid with a K&N logo on the top and a smoothed underside. 

You would be better off either just buying the filter alone as I did or...... Get on eBay and buy a used complete air intake from a Focus ST as that has an additional cold air intake to the bottom of the box compared to ours and then stick a Focus RS open top lid on it.

I have a reoccurring fault on my car a couple of times a year which puts me into limp mode. I've never been able to pull a code with my reader but then I bought a modified elm327 and Forscan pulled a code P006A.

After googling the code it it suggests the most likely cause is a modified air intake to which I have suspected in the past.

I just live with it though as other than that the K&N sounds great and makes the car drive so much better. I carry my reader in the car so I can pull over, clear the code (even though it can't display it) and then full power is restored. I've heard Fiesta ST owners have also had the same problems.

So did you have a problem with KN filter? Was about over-oiling it or because it has more airflow?

On 3/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, WES180 said:

So does that error alert still shows? Or did you find a solution (better than that)? Is it an error of all mk3 or just 1.6?