Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford focus fuel efficiency

CarlThePlasterer

Can anyone give me any advice please on how to make a 59 plate ford focus 1.6 auto more fuel efficient?
It's drinking stupid amounts and wondering whether I would benefit by taking it to garage to get it tuned to run a bit more efficiently.(if that's possible)
anyone else had same problem?
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
tia

Has the fuel consumption changed recently or always been like that.

only had it a couple of months and always been thirsty

Unfortunately , the 1.6 auto isn't the most fuel efficient. Have you tried calculating the fuel mpg? 

• Like 1

im getting around 25 mpg at best...........dire.

11 hours ago, CarlThePlasterer said:

im getting around 25 mpg at best...........dire.

Unfortunately the 1.6 petrol is underpowered for what is a fairly heavy car, when it's coupled to an auto box it further blunts performance.  Unless the engine feels like it's not running properly i.e. misfiring etc, then I don't think there will be much you can do to improve the situation.

I dont think Ford are particularly great fuel economy on any engine. Seems over the years we've got more power but no great advancement in mpg.

2 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

I dont think Ford are particularly great fuel economy on any engine. Seems over the years we've got more power but no great advancement in mpg.

I'd agree with this.  The Germans are far better at extracting MPG than Ford are.  BMW in particular seem to be able to get fantastic MPG along with loads of power and low emissions!

But even VW always manage more than Ford...having had both 1.9PD and 2.0CR TDI Golfs and a 2.0PD A3 all doing better MPG and having a tonne more torque than the 1.6 TDCi Focus' I've owned!

• Like 1

That's been my experience also. For example, the best I got from my Focus Mk 2.5 2.0TDCI was around 10 mpg behind my A3 2.0 TDI PD of the same power (140ps). 

I've always fancied a BMW, funnily enough. Unfortunately every one I've test driven over the years has had a driving position with the pedals offset to the right, which my knackered back can't cope with. However, the new 1-series is going fwd this year, so I hope the driving position will be as good as others with this configuration. Looking forward to giving it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

" ... loads of power and low emissions!"  I think the German's credibility on anything to do with emissions is shot!  It's more a question of trying to work out how they have "contrived" to get the impressive figures.

That said, best engineers in Europe, and I'm glad my Focus was built there. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club