Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coming back just quick question.

Dave1981

Hi everyone. Been a while since been on here, had a 2010 2.0 titanium which was written off last year.. 

Anyway looking at another focus, as my current car, 2010 insignia 2.0 cdti is just a mobile cash bin! 

Seen a 2009 zetec 1.8 petrol 5dr.. £2k full service history, 4 new Michelin tyres, new clutch. Only worry is it done 108k.. I know it's a chain not timing belt. So is the milage a worry for the engine? Car is otherwise clean and in very gd nick for age. 

On that engine with high mileage definitely check for burning oil...the 1.8 petrol is known for it.

£2k also seems a lot for a 10 year old high milage Zetec with an undesirable engine imo! :unsure: 

I always thort that engine was ok as it's the duratec he engine.. same as the 2.0 I had which was bullet proof. But I'll check it if i go look at it 

12 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

I always thort that engine was ok as it's the duratec he engine.. same as the 2.0 I had which was bullet proof. But I'll check it if i go look at it 

Sadly not, oil control rings are a known weak point on the 1.8 version.  They often end up blowing enough HCs to fail MOT and end up scrapped before 100k...

Ahhh damn.. think I'll steer clear then.. wide love to get another 2.0 ltr but can't find any!! 

Have to look at the 1.6. 

Thanks for advice though. Saved me potential trouble

plenty of 1.6 around :smile:

2 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

Ahhh damn.. think I'll steer clear then.. wide love to get another 2.0 ltr but can't find any!! 

Have to look at the 1.6. 

Thanks for advice though. Saved me potential trouble

There aren't many 2.0's because they're the best ones now...people don't want to get rid of them! :laugh:  I'd still wait for a 2.0 personally, not a fan of the 1.6 either, too small for a heavy mk2 so slow & poor on fuel.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly not, oil control rings are a known weak point on the 1.8 version.  They often end up blowing enough HCs to fail MOT and end up scrapped before 100k...

Welcome back Dave, mine is on 116000 at the moment and flew through the MOT emissions test in October. Not the most economical engine, but hey ho I can live with it.

Mine does use a bit of oil between oil changes, due to the known oil control rings gumming up problem, but am going to be adding BG109 engine treatment to it this weekend.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, wilto said:

Welcome back Dave, mine is on 116000 at the moment and flew through the MOT emissions test in October. Not the most economical engine, but hey ho I can live with it.

Mine does use a bit of oil between oil changes, due to the known oil control rings gumming up problem, but am going to be adding BG109 engine treatment to it this weekend.

A good quality flush worked wonders on the wife's MK2.5 1.8 HE last year, it doesn't seem to use any oil at all now. (which is a massive turn around)

• Like 1