Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The awfulness of ford dealership technicians

Neb_engineer

A few months ago I was trying to do an oil change on my fiesta because I found out that it hadn't had one since 2014 despite being survived by ford in may of 2018, I then found the sump drain plug was seized and I rounded it off trying to remove it, then this morning I attempted to try again and noticed that the sump must have been off at some point because ford didn't replace the gasket with a new one instead they used bathroom silicone sealant instead. The more I look under the car the more I see bodIMG_20190310_111511.thumb.jpg.0bc0c100a83d4d24592689fc8aeb1dae.jpgIMG_20190310_111507.thumb.jpg.03b416d3cc7f46c79e32c1c7085f6bf4.jpgged work from ford.

So the car hasn't had an oil + filter change in 5 years? how many miles has it done since then?

Not sure about Fords but many years ago i had a MK4 Astra that leaked and the proper way to seal the sump was a silicone sealant not a gasket

Your sump plug is a mess though but a new plug and crush washer shouldn't cost much - poor effort by the dealer

The sumps don't have a proper gasket, the sealant is the standard way to seal.

I'd be very surprised if it hadn't had an oil change in 5 years though!

• Like 2

If it was serviced in May 2018, what proof do you have that the oil was not changed? 

• Like 2

Yeah, these ford dealership technicians are some right crooks!!

Who in there right mind would use rtv sealant on a sump. Oh yeah , ford do from the factory. Looks like original sealant too. The robot applying the sealant must be a right crook . Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

To be fair to the op how many people actually know some manufactures use a liquid gasket and not a traditional one? I didn’t until I started working at a motorcycle dealership. 

• Like 1

Assumption made it was 'bathroom sealant' too lol....🤣

• Haha 1

To be fair is is a modern technique to seal sumps, I didn't start sealing sumps that way until the late 1980's 

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to undo the he sump plug. Lol IMG_20190310_155055.thumb.jpg.32e1e17562321a50348c7bd267b1205b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElliotReid said:

To be fair to the op how many people actually know some manufactures use a liquid gasket and not a traditional one? I didn’t until I started working at a motorcycle dealership. 

But you can’t kick off about something you have no knowledge of. 

2 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm too lazy to undo the he sump plug. Lol IMG_20190310_155055.thumb.jpg.32e1e17562321a50348c7bd267b1205b.jpg

Seems a lot of main dealers (BMW, etc) suck the oil out instead of dropping it - not sure if it's because it's less messy?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stef123 said:

If it was serviced in May 2018, what proof do you have that the oil was not changed? 

i know the oil hasn't been changed since 2014 because the last record of am oil change is from 2014 after that there are no more records of an oil change after that, but there are records of other things that the dealer changed at the annual service, also 2014 was the last time that my grandparents (the owners of the car) drove the car until september 2018 when i got the car.

The milage of the car when i got it was 5794 miles and it is now 10044 miles.

The sump did also have a paper gasket (although not shown in the picture) and i could see that it had been ripped and that ford used some kind of sealant (that looks like bathroom sealant) to reseal the sump instead of replacing the gasket.

And the fact that there was a paper gasket there to begin with wasn't inspiring confidence.

I'm assuming the engine is a 1.25 or 1.4 . If so ,the sump on all these engines is sealed with silicone sealer 2u7j-m4g323- ab to specifications wse-m4g323-a4. And prior to the silicone being applied a primer wipe is used so the silicone sealer sticks like ***** to a blanket

Take a photo of the paper  gasket so we can see what your looking at. 

If you use a decent 6WD socket it rarely rounds off tough nuts. Failing that weld on a new nut over the existing and replace when you get it off. Failing that buy a scavenge pump and wait forever to suck the oil oil out of the dipstick tube.

Just a pair of vice grips will have that sump plug off. Never failed me on the odd occasion some d.i.yer has chewed the plug . 

• Like 1

I might be a bit slow on this but you say the car has been serviced every 12 months as they state and not had a oil change for 5 years until now.

So ford has had this car give or take around 4 times for a service (or other garages) and never touched the oil,aint that the first thing on a service oil/filter.

Sorry if i read it wrong.

3 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I might be a bit slow on this but you say the car has been serviced every 12 months as they state and not had a oil change for 5 years until now.

So ford has had this car give or take around 4 times for a service (or other garages) and never touched the oil,aint that the first thing on a service oil/filter.

Sorry if i read it wrong

Yeah that sums it up, the service records back it up

15 hours ago, iantt said:

Just a pair of vice grips will have that sump plug off. Never failed me on the odd occasion some d.i.yer has chewed the plug . 

Tried vice grips it just rounded it further

I've munched a sump plug way beyond mole grips once, was also on a Fiesta lol.  Stud extractors just removed more metal from it.  In the end a garage mate heated it with a blow torch and used a different type of stud extractor but it was still a pain to remove...there's no way I'd have got it off at home!  Presumably some hulk had massively overtightened it previously.

Yeah that sums it up, the service records back it up
That's dam bad for a Ford garage,I thought a basic and I mean basic is at least oil and filter.
Saying that the sump plug as said on here will come of I should say with some grips,all the best mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

That's dam bad for a Ford garage,I thought a basic and I mean basic is at least oil and filter.
Saying that the sump plug as said on here will come of I should say with some grips,all the best mate.

I think at this point I am going to just replace the sump, as I already have a new drain plug because I was expecting to need to replace it and there is no way that plug can be extracted.

I think at this point I am going to just replace the sump, as I already have a new drain plug because I was expecting to need to replace it and there is no way that plug can be extracted.
I don't know mate,I would go to the garage if you live close or ring if you can find number,hope you get it solved.

Get a chisel on the edge of it a give it a good thump.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, iantt said:

Yeah, these ford dealership technicians are some right crooks!!

I'm sure he didn't mean you Ian! 😂

23 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

i know the oil hasn't been changed since 2014 because the last record of am oil change is from 2014 after that there are no more records of an oil change after that, but there are records of other things that the dealer changed at the annual service

I don't get it. At a main dealer service you would normally get an invoice stating the work carried out and the parts/materials used. So for example, the last service my ST had was it's 2nd year service (from the previous owner) and it states that the work carried out was indeed a 2nd year service with oil, oil filter and air filter included on the parts/materials list. What does your invoice say?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 6:50 PM, Neb_engineer said:

i know the oil hasn't been changed since 2014 because the last record of am oil change is from 2014 after that there are no more records of an oil change after that, but there are records of other things that the dealer changed at the annual service, also 2014 was the last time that my grandparents (the owners of the car) drove the car until september 2018 when i got the car.

The milage of the car when i got it was 5794 miles and it is now 10044 miles.

The sump did also have a paper gasket (although not shown in the picture) and i could see that it had been ripped and that ford used some kind of sealant (that looks like bathroom sealant) to reseal the sump instead of replacing the gasket.

And the fact that there was a paper gasket there to begin with wasn't inspiring confidence.

A lot of places will just stamp the service log and not fill in any of the other pages (e.g. paintwork inspection) unless you ask. So if you've got a section for logging oil changes in your book and that's what you're looking at, it's probably just that they didn't fill it in. 

oil change at service is fairly standard so I doubt yours wasn't done since 2014 despite the low mileage.