Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Focus 1.8TDCI Engine failure /cutting out

dakotadevils

Good afternoon all,

I was wandering if anyone could help with some suggestions to start fault finding with my 58 Plate Focus TDCI (1.8)

It’s basically spent more time off the road than on since I bought it at the start of the year, but I now have a new problem.

It recently was cutting out as if it had ran out of fuel(RAC called more than once!) and then went into the garage for repair.

Ended up having the tank emptied, new easy fuel filler cap, neck, filter and an o ring replaced – there was also  debris in the tank from when the filler cap disintegrated ( was an earlier post) which the garage and RAC thought was the problem and seemed logical as scans showed up low fuel pressure etc and it was when the tank got low (1/4) the cutting out started.

No I can only genially do between 50-60 to work and back (24 miles each way) for fuel efficency and the car seemed fine, however I have always thought it seemed like a little flat around 2000RPM then pick up ok as if there was a very slight noticeable delay. Just put that down to me being nervous of any more issues!

However last week, I left work a lot later and was able to put my foot down a little (never went past 80) – but as soon as I got past 70  under moderate acceleration the car seemed to almost kick back a little (so it felt) then the engine failure lights came on and it went into limp mode. Pulled over for a few seconds, started and seemed fine until I put my foot down a little and the same thing happened and again and again!  I put my code reader on and not a single thing was recorded (it was an cheap eBay one) so I just carried on home as it restarted ok. But it has the same problem still and I'm not sure where to start to look and any pointers would be appreciated.   If I drive the car (as if on a driving lesson it will plod along at 6o) and I can overtake a car if I accelerate gently and its fine and drop back down to the magical 2000rpm (60) – but if I keep my foot down if I’m overtaking a few cars the problem starts. Its almost like it struggles above 2000 rpm in top gear/overtaking for any period of time (fine going through 1,2,3rd etc).

I can also hear a high pitch air sound (I think) when I accelerate anything more than moderate (but it doesn’t sound like just the turbo) .

Thanks all, any help much appreciated.

Intercooler pipe split or has a hole in it. (Large pipe over left side of engine).
Ford only sells the pipe as a complete piece (2× runbber pieces and a metal centre part) but you can get a decent silicone section off eBay for far less.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Much appreciated , I will let you know how it goes 🙂 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club