Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Cover

MarkyR

Hi guy's,

Sorry I haven't been on here for a bit. But I have popped in now and then to read, like the new look too.

Anyway, I have had to endure a flock of starlings that have roosted every night in the trees next to my house, I guess they number at least a 1000!!!

They disappear in the morning which is fine, however when they come back as it turns to dusk they aimlessly fly around in a massive group and what sounds like rain is, well, bird poo!! It also smells something rotten at the moment!!

So I'm thinking of getting a car cover for my Mk7 Zetec S. Is the official For one any good? Do they scratch the car at all?

The problem with most car covers is that they trap moisture if left on the car for a long time.

I won't be doing that, the cover will be on for 24 to 48 hours, or overnight. Is that going to cause a problem at all??

Every thought of a way to get the birds to move on?

Before someone says it...yes a gun or a hawk ha ha

But You can get high pitch alarms to deter cats in gardens. Is there a bird equivalent?

I would not be keen on a car cover unless the car was free from all dirt.

Could just imagine the wind blowing the cover around dragging all the crap on the paint work :(

Every thought of a way to get the birds to move on?

Before someone says it...yes a gun or a hawk ha ha

But You can get high pitch alarms to deter cats in gardens. Is there a bird equivalent?

hahaha, it's not as easy at that. The field next to us is privately owned I think so the Council don't want to know, the neighbor has got a bird scaring device that plays the sounds of birds of prey and it does nothing and they saw of a sparrow hawk that was flying around them. I think they are increasing in numbers too so may be around 2000.

I have been given the number for the local Wildlife Trust but can't see what they will do?

If its private property...and the guy who owns it is also trying means of getting rid of the birds

You could both talk it out and agree to solve the problem.

Me... With the land owners permission, I would go down the route to stop the buggers. Through means of prevention.

I.E. Hire a profession who would know how to move them on, install a deterrent, scarecrow method...maybe plastic bags on the branches of the tree's.

Or

Last option

Im not sure how heavily wooded the area your talking about is... But cut the tree's down or at least trim them, by yourself or hire.

If its only 1-2 trees that overhang your car, that should be simple. If you cant get the land owners permission (one of these picky buggers)

Im sure you could win a case if you sent a compliant to the counsel stating that the trees have not been taken care of and are now ruining your view/blocking sunlight or even tell them the birds are a menace.

Hope this helps and sorry for poor grammar/spelling

Im typing using laptop screen light, I dont want to go to work tomorrow ha ha :D

Get some pictures of problem :)

Minigun = problem solved!!! :D

I like your thinking :D

!Removed! TIME! Night FOC

If its private property...and the guy who owns it is also trying means of getting rid of the birds

You could both talk it out and agree to solve the problem.

Me... With the land owners permission, I would go down the route to stop the buggers. Through means of prevention.

I.E. Hire a profession who would know how to move them on, install a deterrent, scarecrow method...maybe plastic bags on the branches of the tree's.

Or

Last option

Im not sure how heavily wooded the area your talking about is... But cut the tree's down or at least trim them, by yourself or hire.

If its only 1-2 trees that overhang your car, that should be simple. If you cant get the land owners permission (one of these picky buggers)

Im sure you could win a case if you sent a compliant to the counsel stating that the trees have not been taken care of and are now ruining your view/blocking sunlight or even tell them the birds are a menace.

Hope this helps and sorry for poor grammar/spelling

Im typing using laptop screen light, I dont want to go to work tomorrow ha ha :D

Get some pictures of problem :)

I can try and get some pics for you, and I don't think the owners of the field have been in there for the past few years!!!!

I have trees adjacent to my house that are blocking the sunlight in my garden and the council have said they can only cut them down if it is a health and safety hazard and blocking sunlight doesn't constitute that. The law may be different in England though.

I have trees adjacent to my house that are blocking the sunlight in my garden and the council have said they can only cut them down if it is a health and safety hazard and blocking sunlight doesn't constitute that. The law may be different in England though.

I don't think it is, trouble is being in Dorset we can get the wind LOL and the trees help a LOT to protect the houses, swings and roundabouts I guess? Would be nice if they were trimmed once in a while though!!!

Here in Cornwall, I know of a few cases where people are fighting over tree's blocking sunlight. If the offending tree's has no opposition you have a good case, but they wouldn't pay for the services.

Maybe cutting down the tree is an extreme, but maybe cutting down the branches that overhang your car parking spot would stop the birds getting within range :D

& another weird angle...tin foil stripes apparently scare birds away.

Here in Cornwall, I know of a few cases where people are fighting over tree's blocking sunlight. If the offending tree's has no opposition you have a good case, but they wouldn't pay for the services.

Maybe cutting down the tree is an extreme, but maybe cutting down the branches that overhang your car parking spot would stop the birds getting within range :D

& another weird angle...tin foil stripes apparently scare birds away.

It's not when the birds sit on the branches, they actually roost a bit into the field, it's the aimless flying around in a flock of a few hundred right over the cars for 10 or 20 mins before they roost that's the problem. That's when it rains bird poo!!!!!

you need a deterrent then

Search some reviews for Bird deterrents thats all I can advise ... or open up the field to clay starling shooting :D

Get a cat.

We always had cats and in 16 years of ownership, we saw birds in our garden a dozen or so times. Usually dead.

Get a cat.

We always had cats and in 16 years of ownership, we saw birds in our garden a dozen or so times. Usually dead.

:lol:

Just make sure this does not lead to cats deciding to hop across your roof resulting in scratches (experience :(). Or at least i think it was a cat :blink:

:lol:

Just make sure this does not lead to cats deciding to hop across your roof resulting in scratches (experience :(). Or at least i think it was a cat :blink:

We were fortunate enough to live on a hill and in an area where cats tended not to walk on cars (I still find this amusing when it happens, as it's so rare to me). I've only ever seen it when the car in question has a warm engine etc.

Sorry, I live on an estate where we have more cats then people!!! I have though those lazy g**s, why don't they just do something!!

But as I said there are just way too many birds for them to be scared of by anything, apparently some Kestrals were hovering around them, did nothing!!

I'll go out in the morning to find it covered in feathers and dirt which must come from the wings or the tree's, it's like fine dust that covers the car, oh and the odd bit of poo as I escaped this evenings onslaught!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club