Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction

penfold14

My 2011 cmax came up with the fault Engine Malfunction needs service. My brother in law works for the local ford dealer, and put it on the reader. It came up with a DPF issue namely the bank1 upstream DPF temperature sensor had failed. He tried to do a forced regeneration but it failed halfway through. The DPF is around 60% full.  Ford want 146+ vat for the sensor, so trying to find one elsewhere, but it's difficult as I haven't got a finis code. Does anyone know what the finis code is.  I presume it's just an exhaust temp sensor. There are slot around online, but struggling to identify the correct one.

Cant your brother in law get the code for you? Also worth checking that its not just the pressure hose that gone very common fault and cheap to fix.

They are being a bit funny as they know I'm going to get it elsewhere. Will check the pipe

OK... EML came on do took it to ford today, as they ordered the part for me.... BIL fitted it, but it still refused to regen, and it took ages to manage to clear the faults with the ids. We managed it eventually by resetting the temps on the sensors etc via ids. It started a static regen but halfway through, engine malfunction came back on and the regen failed although the soot content had gone down from 125% to 25%. Error was exhaust temp to low to compete regeneration. New temp sensor on and no other codes flagged up. Any ideas..... 

Also with regards to the pipe, did you mean the fuel supply hose to the vaporiser. I am wondering if its the fuel injector into the exhaust that raises the temp to do a regen. It's not an adblue system, I think it just injects fuel into the exhaust to burn and raise the temp. Its a 2011 2.0 tdci 140hp engine.  

1 minute ago, penfold14 said:

Also with regards to the pipe, did you mean the fuel supply hose to the vaporiser. I am wondering if its the fuel injector into the exhaust that raises the temp to do a regen. It's not an adblue system, I think it just injects fuel into the exhaust to burn and raise the temp. Its a 2011 2.0 tdci 140hp engine.  

No i meant the pipes that go to the DPF pressure sensor, im not sure if the 2011 engine has a vapouriser, if it does then that could cause your problem, it a known fault, many people have gone down the wrong route and ended up having a costly DPF replacement.

Not sure of the error code but us was temp to low for regeneration.  As far as my brother in law has said, there is a form of injector into the exhaust to inject fuel to raise temperature to the level needed to regeneration. Maybe this is blocked. I do know when it's doing a regen on its own  the engine fan Comes on, and ibstant fuel consumption goes up from 0.1 to 0.5. As soon as engine fan stops consumption goes back down... Does this make sense??? 

I take it your brother in law isn't a technician then? 

If the temps not getting high enough , then the most likely culprit is the fuel vaporiser, either blocked or the supply to the vaporiser glow plug ( fuse blown or glowplug fault) 

Any decent ford tech would check this first before attempting any parts fitted and regen carried out. 

Think you need to reconcider your dealership choices.

• Like 1

He's been a mechanic for years..... He was likely led by the Ford software when the fault occurred pointing squarely to the temp sensor. I know as I saw the diagnostics being done. The fault was different at that point, it was saying temp sensor faulty. Now it's saying temp too low so maybe 2 faults present. It was him who suggested vaporizer, as this was the only thing that would cause temp not to get high enough. Took ages to clear faults as the Ford software wouldn't do it. 

Anyhow. Its going back Tuesday as he will have more time to have a good look at things.. Where will fuse be for these, as I can't see them in book... If I can locate them, it's an easy check and saves having to go back... 

Never rely on the ford diagnostics software. It can quite easily lead you in the wrong direction. As your brother in law is ford tech, seems a bit strange asking a forum for ideas? He should know far more than the members on here ( not knocking the helpfulness of the forum members ) 

I will look for the fuse location in a min

Fuse 48 in engine bay fuse box , 15amp mini fuse. According to the wiring , the pcm should detect a blown fuse or vaporiser relay though. 

Checking the vaporiser for blockage is easy and quick to do with a vacuum pump on the fuel line feed pipe. Something your bil will no doubt do. 

Thanks. Only asking for ideas as my working hours don't match his at all and it's difficult to sort out, so thought any easy fixes I could try myself. Had to take a couple of days off work to get it to his dealership 😕 Thanks for the input, if it's not chucking it down again tomorrow will have a look at fuse. 

Can he not look at your car at the weekends at home? 

Hope you soon get it sorted Penfold, unfortunately modern cars are harder to fix than their older counterparts.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club