Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction Warning - Turbo gone?

Focus Newbie

Hi everyone, 

Looking for some advice please. I have a 2010 Focus 1.6 TDCI (Euro 5), which has done about 68,000 miles. I have had the car for about 15 months, had first oil change at 6,500 miles, next oil change at 8,500 miles (slipped my memory to get it done at 6,000), since the last oild change its been 3,500 miles. I have twice in that time had an Engine Malfunction light come on, and then go out and not come back once the car was re-started. Last week the light came on again, went away on restart, did it again the next day as well. Tried to get into Ford but they had a 2 week wait, so took it to a local garage. All fault codes were cleared and the garage said next time the light comes on again bring it in, because now the fault code memory is cleared we will know exactly which code it is that relates to the problem if it happens again. Next day same thing. They said it was a turbo related code, they suggested and did fit a new fuel filter, and....... still happening,. They are convinced I need a new turbo as the mechanic said he can hear the turbo when the car is idling, and he took a pipe off and said he could feel some play in it. Its going to Ford next week, but I am preparing for the worst. If the car is driven gently (under 2,000 revs) its fine, no engine malfunction light, however shortly after driving the car as you normally would and the revs going over 2,000 the Engine Malfunction light comes on again (every time the car is restarted the light is gone and the car drives fine until it happens again). I know the mk2 was notorious for turbo problems, I thought (probably incorrectly) that the issue had been fixed for the mk2.5. All services have been done at Ford and since I have had the car the longest its gone is 8,500 before an oil change. From the knowledge of the more mechanically minded and perhaps more experienced Focus drivers, do you think its bye bye turbo, and also is it worth getting a new one or trying to get shot of the car? 

Thank you all in advance for reading - any recommendations / suggestions welcome.

The MK2.5 1.6TDCi engine is the same as the MK2 version just with a couple of minor tweaks.  None really good enough to stop the oil issues which lead to blown turbos.

You have to move to the MK3 with the 8v 1.6TDCi engine to avoid the oil and turbo issues...but they like to eat injectors instead!

Honestly, unless you've had a leaky injector seal or EGR/DPF issues for a while, I wouldn't expect the turbo to break purely from you leaving the oil 8.5k, but it depends how it's been serviced prior to your ownership.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies WES180 and TomsFocus. WES180 I didn’t get the code (I should have asked) mechanic said it was turbo related - when it goes to Ford I will ask them. TomsFocus - I will check the paperwork from previous owner - I know it’s always been done at Ford garages, not sure what intervals though (in terms of mileage). Just strange that the fault would appear after 15 months if it was a pre-existing issue from before I bought the car, but then again who knows. Hoping and praying it’s something else other than turbo but the fact the light only comes on after you’ve been driving a while and doing ‘normal’ revs concerns me, last trip to and from work (about 35 miles in total including a good run on a dual carriageway) I kept it under 2,000 revs and there was no light. Literally 5 mins after getting fuel filter changed and driving normally (going above 2,000 revs) on comes the light. Thanks again for your replies guys, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update in case anyone else has similar problems and this helps them out. Car went to Ford who said it was an underboost code. They said the updated the ECU and it should be fine. Had the car a week now, not ragged it but driving normally and it’s been ok. They did it within half an hour so it cost £50.  Worth getting Fords diagnosis (fingers crossed it’s fixed). Hope that helps someone!

• Like 2

that's a great result.  intriguing fix,

that said until the last couple of years (say 2015 onwards) very few cars got software updates they need.  current vehicles these days seem to have an update every week for some rubbish. whilst software was written less badly years back, they also didn't expect to ever update it.... most cars between 2005 to 2012 will have a number of fixes in software that have probably been applied to around 2% to 3% of vehicles that should have had it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s happened again..... 😢 on the way to work this morning, just as I turned off the fog lights - wondering if it’s an electrical issue maybe 

• Sad 1

Underboost is probably just a split boost hose somewhere...

Even if it is electrical I doubt it had anything to do with the fog lights, just a coincidence there I think!

• Like 1

I’ve the engine malfunction service light on, apparently the fault is to do with a vacuum hose failure 

Thanks guys, it’s been fine since Monday morning and then bang, it’s happened on the way home again. Luckily I’m off next week - time to go back to Ford.... will mention the split hose for them to check. I’m pretty sure it’s not actually the turbo as it’s been fine for 2 weeks after the ECU recalibration they did. Any views on the new shape focus? Looking at a 2014 eco boost 1.6 petrol , aside from current drama I do enjoy driving the focus

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update incase this may help anyone else who might experiences the same issue. 

Ford changed the turbo solenoid? I’m sure that means more to you guys than it does to me - it was about £250 to change it. It’s been OK since - lot cheaper than the new turbo the first garage said was the solution. Hope this helps someone and thanks for all of the replies and help. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 1:11 PM, Focus Newbie said:

Just an update incase this may help anyone else who might experiences the same issue. 

Ford changed the turbo solenoid? I’m sure that means more to you guys than it does to me - it was about £250 to change it. It’s been OK since - lot cheaper than the new turbo the first garage said was the solution. Hope this helps someone and thanks for all of the replies and help. Much appreciated. 

Good man, fair play for posting back with a resolution as it might help someone else in the future when a lazy garage tries to sting them for a new turbo.  Although none of use like having to pay out £250 on a repait build/part as you say it's a lot cheaper than if it had needed a new turbo.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club