Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Fiesta- won't start, dashboard flickers and rapid clicking sound from engine

iiAdaaamV1

Hi all

I purchased a 2009 Fiesta just over 3 weeks ago. The last few days it's been taking a little while to start (from turning the ignition) so thought I'd test that a bit more tonight- I repeatedly turned the car on and off and then it just stopped turning on. 

Now when trying to turn on, the dashboard lights flicker, the wipers start and a rather loud, rapid clicking sound comes from the engine. Radio works fine as does the lights. 

I do have a warranty with the garage but will cost me a bit to get back over there. Just wanted people's thoughts and if they've had any similar problems. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iiAdaaamV1 said:

Hi all

I purchased a 2009 Fiesta just over 3 weeks ago. The last few days it's been taking a little while to start (from turning the ignition) so thought I'd test that a bit more tonight- I repeatedly turned the car on and off and then it just stopped turning on. 

Now when trying to turn on, the dashboard lights flicker, the wipers start and a rather loud, rapid clicking sound comes from the engine. Radio works fine as does the lights. 

I do have a warranty with the garage but will cost me a bit to get back over there. Just wanted people's thoughts and if they've had any similar problems. 

Cheers 

give the battery a charge sounds like its flat 🙂

Yep sounds like you drained the battery by repeatedly starting it without giving it time to charge.

11 hours ago, dezwez said:

give the battery a charge sounds like its flat 🙂

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Yep sounds like you drained the battery by repeatedly starting it without giving it time to charge.

Is that really all? Even though everything else electronic works?

(I'm almost useless with cars)

yes make sure you get the leads the right way around  before charging  

Starter motor needs quite a bit of juice to turn the engine over. Your dash lights, radio etc. use very little power in comparison, so the battery will have enough left in it to keep those running. The alternator needs a bit of time to recharge the battery fully after you start the car. 

Next time dont keep stop-starting your car. Never mind knackering the battery, you dont do your engine any favours.

Either charge the battery, or jump start the car and go for a decent drive and should start fine next time.

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Starter motor needs quite a bit of juice to turn the engine over. Your dash lights, radio etc. use very little power in comparison, so the battery will have enough left in it to keep those running. The alternator needs a bit of time to recharge the battery fully after you start the car. 

Next time dont keep stop-starting your car. Never mind knackering the battery, you dont do your engine any favours.

Either charge the battery, or jump start the car and go for a decent drive and should start fine next time.

2 hours ago, dezwez said:

yes make sure you get the leads the right way around  before charging  

Thanks guys. Luckily someone at work has got some jump leads so I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow. Still going to take it to the garage and replace the battery in it (if that is the issue) 

Thanks for your replies and reassurences. 

A battery won’t cause an extended crank issue, not unless it’s turning the starter too slow. 

Just tried jump starting it. Nothing at all changed. Will let the booster car run for a bit longer later on. 

are the jump leads proven to be good?  there are lots of rubbish jumps leads out there, the type of thing that shops advertise as christmas gifts for dad etc.  rubbish cable that can't take enough amps, rubbish flimsey crocodile clips and rubbish crimping where the crocodile clips fix to the cables. 

I agree that the rapid clicking sounds like battery has not enough life in it for the very high demand of the starter motor

19 minutes ago, isetta said:

are the jump leads proven to be good?  there are lots of rubbish jumps leads out there, the type of thing that shops advertise as christmas gifts for dad etc.  rubbish cable that can't take enough amps, rubbish flimsey crocodile clips and rubbish crimping where the crocodile clips fix to the cables. 

I agree that the rapid clicking sounds like battery has not enough life in it for the very high demand of the starter motor

They look fine- don't feel cheap. 

I'll upload a video on YouTube with what's happening I think. 

Hi all, thanks for all your replies. Managed to get it jump started today and it's been running fine since. Still going to take it to the garage and get a new battery though as I've not even had it a month!

Cheers

Adam

7 hours ago, iiAdaaamV1 said:

Hi all, thanks for all your replies. Managed to get it jump started today and it's been running fine since. Still going to take it to the garage and get a new battery though as I've not even had it a month!

Cheers

Adam

glad to hear 😊

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club