Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS Antenna Installation for Xtrons Head Unit

FreeFocus

Hello,

I've got an Xtrons Unit to replace the factory fit Sony Radio and wondering where I should place the GPS Antenna.  On my old 5 series BMW the antenna was placed the A pillar on top of the dash by the passenger door.  The audio  engineer fiddled it down to the radio.   No audio engineer this time, just me  and can't see an obvious way to get the antenna wire down to the head unit.  I had wondered about removing the A Pillar trim and glove box and hoping I could find a path, but parts diagrams and postings elsewhere aren't giving me many clues and keen to minimise trial and error strip down.  Thanks in and advance.

Its easy to tuck the lead behind tha A pillar you can do it without taking it off, but if it needs to come of it just pulls, best done when warm though agter that again you can tuck in behind the lower panel and the tread behind the glove box and out to the radio.

• Like 1

Although it's a different car (MK2 Focus) I also used the passenger side A-pillar and routed the cables behind the glovebox, not sure how easy the glovebox is to remove on a Mondy but it's really easy on my MK2 Focus.  I get a decent strength GPS signal as well.

A-pillar just pulls off, start at the very top and just pull. You probably have a yellow plastic strap that will hold the trim to the car though, this will slide out of it's mounting on the trim which you can then pull upwards out of the dashboard.

When refitting you will find it easier to pull off the rubber door strip first, locate the trims two legs in the dashboard, reconnect the plastic strap, line it up and slap it back on. Rubber strip will then just push back into place.

The glovebox is 4 torx screws which are in the corners when you open the lid. Inside on the roof of the box are 2 10mm bolts which also need removing. Once all those are out you can carefully pull the glovebox out of the dash remembering to unplug the wiring for the light at the front edge, the wiring for the AUX connector at the front side, USB on the right side if you have it and the airbag deactivation plug on the rear left side.

Refitting is just a reversal remembering to plug in the wires as you go and make sure the metal clips the torx screws go into are lined up.

With those out the way you can easily get a GPS cable down the A-pillar, underneath the glovebox (don't go over it as you could easily crush the cable) and behind the ashtray area. From there it can be fed through up to the stereo area.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, I am going to have a go this morning and will post back on how I got on.  

I managed to fit the GPS Antenna:

• Removed the glove box
  • Pull off A Pillar Trim
  • Removed the side panel (required pull door seal away from frame)

Easy to thread the cable through and reassemble, however, see my next post as I have another problem!