Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats meant to be included in a Ford 4 year service?

jessebeckett1

I have a 2015 1.5 ecoboost Focus, and I've not gotten round to servicing my car this past year so I'd thought I'd book it in with a main dealer. Upon a reply email from the dealership they've said it will require a 4 year service, at a price of £288.31. I've never serviced with a main dealer before, but I'd like to have good history when it comes to sell it so thought it would be a good idea. I assumed this would include new pads at this price point, so I requested the contact arranging my booking to send me a list of the work done on a 4 year service, here she is quoted: 

'The Scheduled service includes and oil and Filter change, Odour and Particle Filter change and a full vehicle health check.

The Motorcraft service includes and oil and Filter change, either an Odour and Particle Filter or Air Filter change (you can choose between these) and a 30 point health check.'

So they are wanting almost £300 to change a few filters and the oil? And then give me recommendations of extra work they suggest me to pay them to do? When I asked for clarification the lady wasn't much help becoming quite short in the emails. Annoyingly I can do all this work myself, I just would like complete service history but at this rate I'd rather loose a little value in a few years. If anyone could let me know if this is usual or I'm missing something that would be great 

Cheers 👍

Brake pads aren't included in any service.  They're an additional service item which will be recommended when the friction material gets low, rather than a specific time or mileage.  Brake fluid is also an additional item but recommended to be changed every 2 years so that's probably due now.

That is a bit much for a 4th year service, should be more like £220ish.  The major 3rd year service is nearer £300 with spark plugs. 

The Motorcraft service is a bit cheaper but uses slightly inferior parts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Brake pads aren't included in any service.  They're an additional service item which will be recommended when the friction material gets low, rather than a specific time or mileage.  Brake fluid is also an additional item but recommended to be changed every 2 years so that's probably due now.

That is a bit much for a 4th year service, should be more like £220ish.  The major 3rd year service is nearer £300 with spark plugs. 

The Motorcraft service is a bit cheaper but uses slightly inferior parts.

Cheers for the info, so it literally is just filters oil and brake fluid? If that's the case I'm just paying 200 Ish for the ford paperwork. And motorcraft parts realistically surely won't be noticeably worse?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, jessebeckett1 said:

Cheers for the info, so it literally is just filters oil and brake fluid? If that's the case I'm just paying 200 Ish for the ford paperwork. And motorcraft parts realistically surely won't be noticeably worse?

Thanks

No the brake fluid is optional...that's not included in the price you have, it'll be an extra £40ish. 

There are lots of checks but the only things actually changed for that price will be oil, oil filter and pollen filter.

You're paying for Fords software to update any modules that need it, 12 months breakdown cover, and all of the overheads that come with a large company & dealer workshop.  It is of course cheaper to use an independent garage which will still give you a service book stamp.  Or cheaper still to do it yourself - but mention that during a car sale and people run a mile in my experience lol.

Motorcraft parts are probably fine, but they're designed to be cheaper for cars out of warranty so will be of a lesser quality.  It probably does have an effect of engine life over many years, but it won't be immediately noticeable.

• Like 1

No the brake fluid is optional...that's not included in the price you have, it'll be an extra £40ish. 
There are lots of checks but the only things actually changed for that price will be oil, oil filter and pollen filter.
You're paying for Fords software to update any modules that need it, 12 months breakdown cover, and all of the overheads that come with a large company & dealer workshop.  It is of course cheaper to use an independent garage which will still give you a service book stamp.  Or cheaper still to do it yourself - but mention that during a car sale and people run a mile in my experience lol.
Motorcraft parts are probably fine, but they're designed to be cheaper for cars out of warranty so will be of a lesser quality.  It probably does have an effect of engine life over many years, but it won't be immediately noticeable.
Okay mate, I'll give it a think between full and motorcraft. Cheers for the help have a good one

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

We put the Mrs's Ka onto "value service" (which I believe was the same thing as they now call Motorcraft) at 4 years  and had no problems over the next 4 years or so.

• Like 1

We put the Mrs's Ka onto "value service" (which I believe was the same thing as they now call Motorcraft) from 4 years on and had no problems over the next 4 years of so.
This is most likely what I'll go with.

3 minutes ago, jessebeckett1 said:

This is most likely what I'll go with.

PS as I recall, the service book was just stamped up as normal, the only mention of value service was on the invoice, so you still had a full service history.

you can get the service task sheets from Ford Etis which is free to register on (you say you are an independant opeartor) which shows the task for each service (don't think it mentions value service though)

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Motorcraft service uses the same ford parts and oils. 

My understanding of the "value service" (now Motorcraft) was that it was a way of keeping older cars within the dealer servicing network rather than letting owners defect to the local garage, not about any reduction in quality of parts used.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

How is it any cheaper then? :unsure:

I thought you used Motorcraft branded parts which aren't the same as the Ford branded ones.  The MC brake pads are awful for example lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How is it any cheaper then? :unsure:

I thought you used Motorcraft branded parts which aren't the same as the Ford branded ones.  The MC brake pads are awful for example lol.

+1

MC parts are definitely not as good as Fomoco stuff, although depending on the item, the difference can be minimal.

The MC  pads are only£10 cheaper than fords o.e 

Where I previously worked, the same ford parts and Castrol oil was used regardless of service type. 

I don't think motorcraft branded service parts exist now except for a few items Inc pads. Omnicraft is the latest ford branding exercise for parts Inc non ford parts for other manufacturers vehicles. Less reliance on the motor factor. 

As a consumer of older cars, I could care less about 'main dealer' service stamps! Save yourself the money and DIY, or just use a competent indie garage. As long as the main things like oil & filters are done, which you can provide receipts for, that would do me...

• Like 1