Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofitting reverse camera / front sensors to MK 3.5

bertieb

Hey folks, I have a late-2016 facelift Focus Titanium. It has Sync 2 and 4 rear sensors. I was thinking about adding a reversing camera and front sensors (and maybe an extra 2 rear sensors).

I had a look at another thread on here from 2017 about retrofitting a camera, but it looks like its a different head unit and earlier Focus. I feel like I am non the wiser after reading that and doing some Google searches! My last experience with this sort of thing was fitting a camera to a 2005 saloon which was reasonably straightforward thanks to Brigante's useful guide. Front sensors seem more involved, but Bannko's guide looks great!

I guess my questions boil down to:

• what would I need to buy to add a reversing camera that displays on the Sync 2 unit ? A camera by itself, or camera + module + wiring ??
  • how straightforward is fitting whatever I buy from the question above?
  • how much should I budget for this? The previous reverse camera was cheap as chips; less than 30 quid for the camera and an RCA-USB adaptor so I could see it on my phone. OTOH I've seen 'reverse camera kits', eg this example, which is 315 quid!

Thanks in advance 🙂

Edit: remove strikethrough, not sure why it appeared like that

Thanks for the reply @Jonro2009, that plug is some really useful info that my Google-fu missed! Any benefit to going OEM camera over another? If the BCM on a later Focus does the line drawing, I take it whatever camera I get I'd want one that doesn't have lines?

I'm happy that it's looking like less than £315 for the 'camera kit' though 😄

It has not been done to put the active guidelines on a non OEM camera as far as I know, if you want them then you need the full OEM setup. 

My camera has the red/amber/green distance lines but not active guidelines but I know where my car is going to end up so don’t need them, I just need to know I’m not missing seeing a low bollard or child.

my whole setup cost £35 and looks and works OEM from all aspects apart from the active lines. It will show on the Sync2 and 3 using the 54pin APIM extension I linked in the other post.

That makes sense. Without ever having had the active lines I don't know what I'm missing; but they look like white lines that curve the the direction you're steering? It also seemed as though it can use the sensor info to draw 'enhanced park aids' (see attached or as in this video) too showing the distance to objects; though maybe that's only done in certain regions? I could probably live without those if push came to shove!

enhancedparkaids.jpg

From the other thread it seems the OEM part number is EM5T-19G490-FB, and it looks like that can be had for around £40 on eBay shipped from the 'States. Would I be right in thinking the connector from that goes into a matching one in the tail loom?

If that's not suspiciously cheap, and it's as simple as plug-and-play for that; I may go the OEM route.

Edit: that being said, having just gone and taken a look I'm not sure where I would fit an OEM camera as there's not an obvious mounting point, I would have to check with @mastachaz how he did his genuine one!

Edited by bertieb
where the heck does the OEM camera get fitted?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, bertieb said:

That makes sense. Without ever having had the active lines I don't know what I'm missing; but they look like white lines that curve the the direction you're steering? It also seemed as though it can use the sensor info to draw 'enhanced park aids' (see attached or as in this video) too showing the distance to objects; though maybe that's only done in certain regions? I could probably live without those if push came to shove!

enhancedparkaids.jpg

From the other thread it seems the OEM part number is EM5T-19G490-FB, and it looks like that can be had for around £40 on eBay shipped from the 'States. Would I be right in thinking the connector from that goes into a matching one in the tail loom?

If that's not suspiciously cheap, and it's as simple as plug-and-play for that; I may go the OEM route.

Edit: that being said, having just gone and taken a look I'm not sure where I would fit an OEM camera as there's not an obvious mounting point, I would have to check with @mastachaz how he did his genuine one!

in boot handle 🙂

• Like 1

any question ask me I might do , tutorial.

I am researching the same as Bertieb. I have the grey plug behind the trim in the boot offside.

My car has the rear parking sensors.

Do I understand that the camera signal cable would connect there without needing to go through to the head unit?

Presumably there is a reversing power cable somewhere close.

All this is new to me.

Many thanks

Nick

if you have plug buy camera with boot handle and loom , after needs activating , if you close i can help.

Thanks

By loom do you mean the video and power cables.

Thanks for offer of help.

First job will be to install my dashcam.

If that works OK may get ambitious and add boot handle camera but don't fancy routing camera cable back to head unit.

I got spare camera loom for sale if anyone interested.

@mastachaz  

I may need a loom don't know exactly what it does or how it fits.

I have bought a Chinese camera.  There are short red wires coming out the two phono plugs which flummox me, see the photo.

I have the grey plug in the boot under the access panel to the rear lights. I think it only has wires on one side but I have not yet removed the boot trim to have a good look.. My car has rear parking sensors.

I shall connect the power cable to the rear light feed and earth (bodywork) I presume there must be a wiring loom feeding the light cluster at the back. I have the Haynes manual so I'll know the colour code to look forI had planned to use a scotch lock connector but the power cable is so fine I might use some less aggressive method.

Any help or guidance would be welcome. 

Nick

IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.916e933d07b406d515035b5c7969830e.JPGr

Is it possible to buy a complete handle with camera from Ford, or does it need buying separately? I’ve looked on eBay and it seems I’d have to buy the handle (2102172), the camera (1944730), the moulded plastic piece that holds the camera into the handle (1747479) and then the wiring loom (1872958). 

I’m watching this thread with interest as I’d really like to add a camera to mine to help with hitching the caravan.

Ref my earlier post. 

The red wires from the back of the yellow phono plugs are for power, so that only one cable needs to be threaded through the car tailgate.

I learned this from YouTube. I know the camera is different but the wire is the same.

Nick

I just deal with factory genuine parts based mods 🙂

22 hours ago, Sappermajor said:

@mastachaz  

I may need a loom don't know exactly what it does or how it fits.

I have bought a Chinese camera.  There are short red wires coming out the two phono plugs which flummox me, see the photo.

I have the grey plug in the boot under the access panel to the rear lights. I think it only has wires on one side but I have not yet removed the boot trim to have a good look.. My car has rear parking sensors.

I shall connect the power cable to the rear light feed and earth (bodywork) I presume there must be a wiring loom feeding the light cluster at the back. I have the Haynes manual so I'll know the colour code to look forI had planned to use a scotch lock connector but the power cable is so fine I might use some less aggressive method.

Any help or guidance would be welcome. 

Nick

IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.916e933d07b406d515035b5c7969830e.JPGr

Where did you get the cam, do you have a link?

Jonro

eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401691995800

Note I have not yet tried this so it isn't an endorsement. The camera arrived quite quickly about a week much faster than it said. There seems too be a spread of prices but they all appear to use the same photos.

Reading further I think  the grey connector may be a  Fakra connector ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fakra-Reversing-Camera-RCA-Extension-Cable-Adapter-for-Mercedes-Benz-Ford/182654365656?hash=item2a870c6fd8:g:A2cAAOSwXetZXoZg )but I am not sure as I have only seen it side on. Here again there is a spread of prices from £3 to £17 on eBay -and £30+  from UK  suppliers.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one know the difference between these looms? They are all camera looms for mk3.5 focus but I can’t tell why the last letter changes. Would anyone of them be suitable for a standard focus with the grey plug in the boot. @mastachaz do you know the part number of the loom you used?😇

F1ET14D466AAC

F1ET14D466AAF

F1ET14D466AAG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club