Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MONDEO MK5 power steering MAJOR failure

david_dc

hi.

Got mondeo mk5 15 plate and recently had a major power steering failure.
What has happened was that 2 out of 3 screws holding electric steering motor in the rack has snapped- aluminium screws!
Went to the local trust mechanic and he noticed it's probably because of the corrosion. He managed to take the old screws away and put a steal one, however the 'steering' belt had to be damaged.
You can't get new bits and pieces from the power steering- you can only get the whole bit. New one from FORD approved garage- £1100 + £180 surgecharge for bringing the old one back plus labour.
Managed to get a used one from abroad for £200. 
After replacing so far had no issues with it. 
My question is regards to Lane keeping assist- stoped working after replacing the power steering. Does anyone experienced something similar regards to power steering itself and lane keeping assist related problems. 
Any ideas what is the problem now? Is it just a matter of recoding the steering module to 'match' the other software in the car? I think now the lane assist is working in 'safe mode"- mean its not working 😕

IMG_7105.JPG

Hi i had same problem waiting on a new one quote £1400 and been waiting five weeks for a new one local Ford angent reckons he had sold lots in the last few weeks waiting on one coming from Germany. Wish i had not bought a Ford  .

I bought mine on eBay. Comes from Poland but english version RHD. It looks like new one compare to the old one. 
What did they say at FORD? Were yours screws snapped too....?

7 minutes ago, gm0cfw said:

Never found out as yet just said it needs replacing.

Why not to get a part number and try to get a used part on eBay?

• 7 months later...

hi we have just experienced exactly this problem and from this thread it seems to be a recurring problem with a few cars. Should this not be a recall issue? Have we got any grounds getting money back from Ford??? It's such a huge expense and such a dangerous thing to go wrong... any advice welcome! 

• 1 month later...

Just had same problem with a customer car reversed it into the garage to do a minor repair to rear bumper next day started car no power steering and banging ford say they don't have a problem over half a million  cars recalled in the  USA for same problem corroded bolts luckily I have a understanding customer 

4 minutes ago, Mickpitts said:

Just had same problem with a customer car reversed it into the garage to do a minor repair to rear bumper next day started car no power steering and banging ford say they don't have a problem over half a million  cars recalled in the  USA for same problem corroded bolts luckily I have a understanding customer 

Ford will contribute if you contact ford customer services and hassle them. 

Thank you iantt customer has been in touch with ford they say because it was not serviced by them it is not covered 

hi, just writing official complain to DVSA regards to this matter, I know its almost 9 months after...;/
The only money I got from Ford was the costs of diagnostics. They will not help with other costs if the job has been done not by auth dealer! Diagnostics was needed to reprogram the module to have lane keeping assist active again- used part had to be from the car with no LKA...
Bought used power steering on eBay for £200- so far no issues

REPLY FROM DVSA!

Thank you for contacting DVSA regarding yourVehicle Defect Safety Report Case xxxxxx  involving the Electric Power Steering Rack motor detachment on your Ford Mondeo 

DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended). Please find attached a copy of the Consumer’s Guide to Vehicle Safety Defects for your information and a link to the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-practice-on-vehicle-safety-defects-and-recalls/vehicle-safety-defects-and-recalls-code-of-practice.

The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.

DVSA have previously investigated this concern with the manufacturer, who has confirmed that in the event of a broken fastener(s) and in all circumstances, a mechanical steering system is maintained at all times enabling the driver to control the vehicle. Whilst it is evident that significant effort is needed to manouver the vehicle from standstill, once the vehicle is in motion and as speed increases, the effort needed to manouver is greatly reduced.

While the failure of the assisted system may be of surprise to the driver, the ability to safely steer the vehicle bringing it to a stop still remains. The manufacturer has confirmed the unassisted steering system fully meets type approval.

DVSA has concluded the failure of steering assistance does not meet the safety criteria as set out within Section 3 of the Code of Practice (see link) and will now close this case.

DVSA take all reports of vehicle safety defects seriously and continue to investigate all reports received. DVSA continue to press the manufacturer, in regards to concerns such as this and are still in discussions with them.

DVSA would like to thank you for raising this case with us.

This was a similar response that BBC's Watchdog prog encountered when they raised concerns regarding steering motor failures on the Mini. Shocking complacency.. or vested interests at play? 

Alan Howatt flagged it on his YouTube channel, apparently it's affecting other manufactures who use the rack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This to advise you of a near serious crash due to failure of the steering box on our Ford Mondeo. Luckily the failure happened early morning and car veered cross the road when the steering box ruptured, with fortunately no vehicles coming in the opposite direction. The car was stopped about a foot from a stone wall  with, luckily no injuries, only shock.

• Sad 1

if Ford won't deal with this as a recall and the DVSA state it's not a safety issue, then is it worth replacing the Aluminium Bolts (prone to failure) with steel bolts as I've seen some have had done?

Steel (particularly Stainless Steel) will create an anodising effect on the Aluminium housing and potentially lead to the bolt holes and flanges cracking or breaking where the steel bolt is screwed in. The only way to minimise this is to paint the bolt thread with an sealant paint and put a non-metal felt washer between the steel bolt and the steering pump flange holes. Don't use Brass bolts because the anodising effect will be even worse.

1 hour ago, morrismen said:

if Ford won't deal with this as a recall and the DVSA state it's not a safety issue, then is it worth replacing the Aluminium Bolts (prone to failure) with steel bolts as I've seen some have had done?

Steel (particularly Stainless Steel) will create an anodising effect on the Aluminium housing and potentially lead to the bolt holes and flanges cracking or breaking where the steel bolt is screwed in. The only way to minimise this is to paint the bolt thread with an sealant paint and put a non-metal felt washer between the steel bolt and the steering pump flange holes. Don't use Brass bolts because the anodising effect will be even worse.

The racks from approximately march 15 onwards have steel bolts as standard. I'm guessing the threads they screw into are steel inserts So should be ok . 

I've got one at work with broken off bolts so will get closer look when the rack comes out. 

10 hours ago, iantt said:

The racks from approximately march 15 onwards have steel bolts as standard.

Just wondering how you know this as I have a March 15 car. Going to take a look underneath this weekend.

Thanks,

We are are making a list of our Facebook group owners car build dates and which type of bolt they have. Not complete but it is indicating around march . Will check and see if that's still about right. 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

We are are making a list of our Facebook group owners car build dates and which type of bolt they have. Not complete but it is indicating around march . Will check and see if that's still about right. 

Thanks! Not on Facebook - I closed my account a while ago. I tried to create a new one in order to access the Ford resources mentioned here and on other posts but my request keeps getting flagged as spam...!

Is the date, used on the list that is being compiled, the ETIS build date or the registration date?

etis build dates, members are checking the affected bolts with a magnet to see if they have alloy bolts or steel. still a way to go to get a definitve date. not enough have checked yet. 

I can't see why you are checking bolts with a magnet

They are visibly totally different See USA Recall/Bulletin https://www.docdroid.net/AnJKISP/r15s143.pdf

Early Bolt has Torx screw head - requires replacement and sealant applied (See USA Recall/Bulletin)  Labour time1 Hour, or if rack required 3.7 hrs

Later bolt (approx April 2015) has Hexagon head and no action required. (See USA Recall/Bulletin) Dealer Part number for Hexagonal bolt is 4634838, 3 off required, total cost £6 plus sealant. Order from dealer, available next day

I did post up an above  link yesterday 13 Jan.

Just updated on TF site, see my post number 62 today https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/page-7#entry3141661

There will be very few affected uk model mondeo