Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MONDEO MK5 power steering MAJOR failure

david_dc

Just had my 2015 mondeo in for replacement struts and same turns out it’s snapped bolts on my rack! Having to hire a car for a week as told it’s not safe to drive! 

This is the American recall that ford uk today told me they wouldn’t be doing anything similar! 

EAE0F9D1-D5FA-46A1-88EA-CAD13DA53376.png

F4E96118-DF79-4DE8-8F6E-226F5C7A98E9.png

22 hours ago, Celts67 said:

This is the American recall that ford uk today told me they wouldn’t be doing anything similar! 

Who told you that?

Ford have already told many people (including myself) that there is a recall, however there is currently no ETA.

• Like 1

Who told you that?
Ford have already told many people (including myself) that there is a recall, however there is currently no ETA.
Lots of emails from Ford saying they are recalling 'soon' (as you well know [emoji6]) so not sure where the other poster got his info [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Donald and Jon are quite correct

I have also seen info from Ford that a recall is to take place on uk vehicles

I also know people that have contacted Ford CEO and if you have an early Mondeo, and you moan enough, it is immediately arranged for you to take your veh to a dealer for purely "a visual examination" of the bolts etc.

If all looks ok the veh is released and will follow the future recall process. If there are any corroded bolts or broken ones, it will be attended to there and then.

Jon, not only Tesla, but I also see the problem very prevalent on BMWs awhile back, Recall/TSBs replace bolts etc

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:39 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Lots of emails from Ford saying they are recalling 'soon' (as you well know emoji6.png) so not sure where the other poster got his info emoji2369.png

Yup, I spend wayyy too much time on the FB group 😄

@TrevorB my friends 2016 Evoque suffered with the sheered bolts and a mangled steering rack! She drove to work, went in to do her shift and when she came out to go home - nothing, no steering just a very 'festive' looking dash. LR paid 80% of the repair, unfortunately she didn't tell me it had happened otherwise I would have helped her out. She promptly sold it and bought herself a Troc.

Yup, I spend wayyy too much time on the FB group [emoji1]
I still haven't figured out who you are in the group, everytime I think I know I change my mind lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I still haven't figured out who you are in the group, everytime I think I know I change my mind lol

It's not that hard surely 😁 I'm the user without a profile pic, it's just a dummy FB account. That should help narrow it down massively haha

15 minutes ago, Incontro said:

It's not that hard surely 😁 I'm the user without a profile pic, it's just a dummy FB account. That should help narrow it down massively haha

Well I haven't got profile pic too. Lol 

I know who you are though

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Who are you?

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I know who you are though

I'm ozzy 

• 3 weeks later...

I was only thinking yesterday how quiet this saga of a recall was lately.

Has anyone else, other than those mentioned above. complained to a Ford CEO, and if so what was the outcome?

If your car has had an interim check, what did the dealer find/report.

I have just had messages from a friend in Sweden. He has a Mondeo Estate 2015.

He has a knocking from the steering. Found in the nick of time before possibly a serious accident. He only found out about the bolt failure problem by finding the uk Talk Ford site.

These are his comments. - Yes, as i can see one bolt is snapped off, one is ok and not sure about no3? there is a gap between the aluminum parts and i can wiggle on the motor.....

guess the knock is when the motor part is wiggling?, yesterday we was searching for the sound by steering the wheels. today when i should drive the car inside my garage the steering was hard and "strange"..... 

Will Ford take this?? is this a recall? any recall number? i will give it a try on Monday,   This is dangerous! 

No recall at present, I keep checking etis daily but nothing. My work laptop is always logged into etis in my job

Be interesting to see how my friend gets on with Ford Dealer in Sweden

Just a heads up anybody please

Can anyone 100% confirm that if the bolts CANNOT be picked up with a magnet, then they are the WRONG material bolts.

The bolts in my friends veh in Sweden CANNOT be picked up with a magnet

Thank you

Just a heads up anybody please
Can anyone 100% confirm that if the bolts CANNOT be picked up with a magnet, then they are the WRONG material bolts.
The bolts in my friends veh in Sweden CANNOT be picked up with a magnet
Thank you
Correct. You want the bolts to stick to a magnet, they incorrect alloy ones do not stick.

• Like 3

Thank you very much Jon and Ian for the confirmation.. I thought I was correct But I wanted re assurance that I am giving the 100% correct info to my friend in Sweden. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update re my posts 21st March regarding my friends steering rack failure in Sweden. (He has found out that other owners in Sweden have had this steering rack failure)

He contacted his local Ford dealer who advised they had "never heard of the problem" and could not help in in any shape or form.

He e mailed Ford Sweden who replied on the understanding they thought he was talking about sheared wheel nuts/bolts!!!

He e mailed them again with explicit details and photos of his steering rack, reminded them of the usa recall, probs with uk cars, plus Tesla etc etc.

Ford Sweden replied that they have never heard of the problem, no record of any probs in Sweden, therefore no recalls are even being considered of in Sweden.

Ford Sweden advised by e mail they could not help him with any gesture of goodwill on a 2015 veh and no further correspondence would be considered on the matter.

My friend does have excellent engineering workshop facilities and his own expertise - he may try and do something himself (he can build a powershift box to perfection and reliability)

Same the world over with dealers eh guys 

Add/Edit - Does anyone know if a CEO of Ford uk would have any "clout" over Ford Sweden - thanks

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Further to my posts 21st March and 3rd April here are pictures of the 2015 Mondeo in Sweden, 150,000 kms ( 93.750 miles)

Ford Sweden have 100% refused to help

IMG_20200528_175944 small.jpg

IMG_20200528_194859 small.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:52 PM, TrevorB said:

Further to my posts 21st March and 3rd April here are pictures of the 2015 Mondeo in Sweden, 150,000 kms ( 93.750 miles)

Ford Sweden have 100% refused to help

IMG_20200528_175944 small.jpg

IMG_20200528_194859 small.jpg

I see that Ford UK have a competitor for being the most :shit: at customer service.  Fair play to your friend if he can rebuild a PowerShift box, there's plenty more people that could have done with that skill!

Hi people

Does anyone know that when a Mondeo Mk5 is fitted with a replacement steering unit (new or used), does it have to be programmed to the veh by a Ford dealer using Ford electronic equipment.

I know that BMWs fitted with the same type of steering unit have to be coded to the car by an official BMW dealer using their factory programming equipment

Thank you

Now that lockdown is easing its time Ford got moving on the recall!

23 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Hi people

Does anyone know that when a Mondeo Mk5 is fitted with a replacement steering unit (new or used), does it have to be programmed to the veh by a Ford dealer using Ford electronic equipment.

I know that BMWs fitted with the same type of steering unit have to be coded to the car by an official BMW dealer using their factory programming equipment

Thank you

Now that lockdown is easing its time Ford got moving on the recall!

@iantt is probably your best best to answer that one, it shouldn't be too long before he drops by!  (usually with the answer)

• 5 months later...

wish i had read this thread earlier as i have just experienced this failure on my 2015 mondeo estate,luckily i had just come off the motor way and was only doing slow speed when it failed.the report that says you can still drive the vehicle even when failure happens is a joke as im not a small guy and i struggled to move the wheel.The AA where a joke and wanted £300 to to me to the nearest garage and  the ford dealer was out of range so i would have to get it recovered myself.so i managed to get it to the garage nearest to me,on inspection two of the bolts sheared and the motor had parted from the rack.new gen ford rack fitted at cost of £1655, but now have the problem with the lane assist not working and they are saying it will have to go to ford for programming so more expense.is there any news on this recall for this or are they still dragging their heals

• Sad 1

Only just seen your post. "They" say it only fails when it is under extreme load, which is under very low speed and turning conditions, ha ha , hence why no recall was envisaged - Ford have stated numerous times in the past that a recall will happen but there is no update on this as of today.

Send an e mail to the ceo. It was Andy Barratt and he did always reply. However he is on leave of absence

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2020/10/05/ford-boss-andy-barratt-takes-leave-of-absence

Send an e mail to his stand in here

lbrankin1@ford.uk

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8960

Also here https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/