Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm on 2012 Focus

ron130888

Hi All,

First post and quick intro.

My name is Ronnie and I live in Kent. I’ve recently purchased a 2012 Focus Zetec S 182.

Very impressed overall with the car other than the alarm which decides to go off randomly. 

I have researched this and have concluded that it’s the bonnet switch/sensor that is at fault. I’ve had the “bonnet open” warning light on once. 

I’d found a picture of the part showing where the switch is... my bonnet latch looks nothing like it and I cannot see anywhere for wires or a switch to be located.

Any help or guidance much appreciated. It’s silly little things like that that will make me want to shift the car on.

cheers

Ronnie

Has someone replaced it with a random latch? Has the wire been taped up or is it still there just flapping around?

I've just been out and took a pic of mine for you but it won't let me upload it again, site keeps playing up lately.

Thank you for posting that. I’ll have another look tomorrow and post a photo but pretty sure I couldn’t see any wires loose or indeed anywhere for a sensor so perhaps a random latch has been used. 

Thank you for posting that. I’ve had another look today. This is what I’ve found. Does it look right to you? 

20190317_181608.thumb.jpg.fb7ffd486cbf3836518e6fbd109c3212.jpg

Yours above, mine below.

20190317_181620.thumb.jpg.948e744f68ac9dd62d5b56c26d60dfdd.jpg

If you look at the bolt circled red for a reference point then you will see yours has part missing. Has it broken off? The loom connector must be in that area somewhere.

20190317_182604.thumb.jpg.e8f65d5191e900c5b8704830e4226a90.jpg

Isn't that it circled above?

Thank you again for your help. It will probably be the weekend before I get a chance to look in daylight again.

if there is no sign of a wire anywhere though, then I assume this is going to be something expensive and complex?? 

Have you not got a torch?🙂

I went out in the dark and rain to take those pics for you. 😉

Find the loom plug, it will be there somewhere, maybe with the missing bit still attached to it. 

• Like 1

Lol fair point and thank you.

these are the pics I’ve just taken. 

Wasnt sure if that plug relates to the bonnet or not. 

The latch certainly looks different, nothing is broken, looks factory to me with the imprinted ford logo.

55F48BBD-9AAA-4ED9-ABDA-AF32FB4EAE36.jpeg

F9EC1152-27D8-485B-B234-5566BB0655FF.jpeg

I’d be fairly certain the plug Wes has circled is your bonnet latch switch, just pull it up into shot, there’s a chance it’s been knocked off or broken. It should locate in those key hole type slots on he latch.

The alarm on my car kept going off normally when I got to work or when I got home after work and it was nearly bang on 15 minutes after switching off. Only once did I get a warning to say the bonnet was open, but it flashed up and then went off again. Then next time the alarm sounded I had a look under the bonnet and there was the switch lying on top of the exhaust heat shield broken. I thought it was shorting out on the shield as the side was missing out of the switch and you could see the metal inside. I strapped it up with cable ties, but it still went off a few days later.

The switch isn’t available on its own, so you’ll need the complete latch assembly, but make sure it has the perimeter alarm switch fitted. Alternatively you can shove a split pin in the plug and tape it up as this will trick the car into thinking the bonnet is shut.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm baffled as I thought the plug circled looked like it was where it’s supposed to be when I checked earlier tonight. 

There is something about my latch that looks different to Wes’.

If you think it belongs in that keyhole shape on the latch I will certainly give that a go.

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Will update the thread!

It really depends what that plug is plugged into, hopefully it’s just hanging down and when you look next it’ll come up with the little switch bit on the end and all will become clear. 

Heres a piccy of my old latch, you can see the two key hole slots on the right where the switch locates, (switch is at work else I’d picture that too). Also the part number off mine, although it looks as though your ends with BF not BG?

I splashed out £33 for a genuine one off eBay, looked at second hand ones but I think they may develope faults over time so for the difference in price just bought new.

Good luck.👍

AC8F239D-FF24-4BD8-88D1-E748A76B5247.thumb.jpeg.13c77795fac023ede5774357e64629f8.jpeg

F0993DCF-6442-49AB-8125-7258F034825C.thumb.jpeg.badc5d4762ce55e76b9e4fce79ead0ef.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok you are both legends. Thank you so much. The plug was indeed hanging down, I honestly thought it belonged there.

one last favour, can you confirm from the pictures below if this is broken and missing a cover? Looks like a tab is missing too?

Yes it looks like one of the two little round tabs is broken off. They’re quite weak I think and must get broken off easily if they get knocked.

Can't you cable tie it in place or drill and screw/bolt it.

I used a cable tie to fix mine up out of the way, but the alarm still sounded when the engine cooled down. It might work better on a petrol, looks like the inlet manifold is at the front rather than the exhaust like on my diesel so it probably doesn’t get as hot. Worth a try first, before buying a new one.👍

• 2 weeks later...

I just went ahead and fitted a new part yesterday, would rather have the certainty of knowing it's sorted. 

New part ends in G instead of F. Not sure what the difference is, assume it will be ok!

Thank you again for all of your help & advice, really appreciated.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club