Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Under powred 1.4L petrol

Amanda2007

Hi all,

recently bought a 1.4L 2007 Focus and overall I happy with it.

Low mileage for the year - (136K KM)

Just sold my 2002,1.4L Skoda Octavia, took it for a test run before punter showed up as has been stationary for weeks.

The difference in acceleration between the Skoda and the Focus was incredible, especially below 2000 revs!

The Octavia took off like a rocket, for a 1.4L petrol, the Focus seems to labour in lower gears, yet has "Supposedly" had a full service just before I bought it.

oil does look clean, haven't checked plugs, leads or coil pack.

I understand there's many other things like sensors that could be the issue, or dirty throttle body. Compared to Octavia, the MPG is dire compared to the Skoda for a 1.4L.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

I’m afraid that’s just how it is with the Focus, it’s a very heavy car and in reality a 78bhp 1.4 is far too underpowered for the job. Although I can’t imagine a 1.4 Octavia would be much better in all honesty, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're just geared differently.  Both cars are extremely slow in modern terms (around 14-15 seconds 0-60!!) but the Octy has better low end gearing as it's designed to be nippy around town.  This also means you work the engine less hard to get the same result so get better MPG.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the input peeps, really appreciate it.

I love the Focus, but it does seem gutless compared to the Octavia (which I assumed was a much heavier car)

The Focus is only around 50Kg lighter...which works out as an extra 3bhp per tonne.  Not even noticeable in real world conditions. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They're just geared differently.  Both cars are extremely slow in modern terms (around 14-15 seconds 0-60!!) but the Octy has better low end gearing as it's designed to be nippy around town.  This also means you work the engine less hard to get the same result so get better MPG.

Yeah I agree with the gear difference. Driving around my estate the Octavia (at slow speed) was quite happy in 3rd gear. The Focus needs to be in 2nd to keep the same momentum and needs a little more push on the the accelerator to keep from labouring.

• Like 1

The focus has reduced torque in 1st and second gear it's a matter of getting up to 3rd as quick as possible to start gaining speed even in my under powered 1.6 boat.

• Thanks 1

The 1.4 and 1.6 are quite revvy engines, and not much happens at low rpm. The 1.4 is underpowered (1.6 is fine but not quick) but you do need to work the gears more compared to a larger or more torquey engine. Just drive it and figure out where the shift points need to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

may be that I just need to get used to it before spending cash on Coil Pack, Plug Leads etc.

Although there is a very slight judder at idle (both cold and hot engine) Can feel it through the seat.

It's one reason why it's a 5-speed gearbox too- having a sixth gear wouldn't be any use as there wouldn't be the torque to push the higher gear. Keep the revs up and it's got enough poke. You'll probably find you end up changing up at 3-4000 coming off dual carriageway roundabouts, and this is fine.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club