Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power socket in dash top

Wookie Monster

I've been looking into fitting an extra 12v socket in the upper dash of my mk2.5 for a sat nav- so as to avoid having trailing wires down to the standard one. Spotted a guide about fitting one to the dash top storage bin, but being a style trim level mine doesn't have that.

Drilling the dash itself should of course give the same result, but is there a way of getting a hole saw in there? 

• Like 1

If you remove the stereo you should be able to see better up there to get an idea where to do it safely. Here is Lenny chopping away at his dash 

• Like 3

Alternatively fit a USB socket power supply inside the glove box, 

That's where I power my satnav from when required, see my other guide here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?p=438442 

• Like 1

Hi Pete do you have the lift lid on top of your dash ?

I put a aux power supply under obd socket then ran sat nav cable up behind clocks and put a hole inside unit under lid then cable stays in lid out of way and when I want sat nav I lift lid clup sat nav on close lid sat nav has a disk on lid nice and tidy.

cheers 

Alan

20190317_121544.jpg

20190317_121453.jpg

20190317_121544.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Hi Pete do you have the lift lid on top of your dash ?

I put a aux power supply under obd socket then ran sat nav cable up behind clocks and put a hole inside unit under lid then cable stays in lid out of way and when I want sat nav I lift lid clup sat nav on close lid sat nav has a disk on lid nice and tidy.

cheers 

Alan

20190317_121544.jpg

20190317_121453.jpg

20190317_121544.jpg

thats what ive done on mine much easier

• Like 1

I don't have the lid/box on mine- just a plain dash top. The space where the lid would be is flat and slightly recessed, but it doesn't open. Looks like I should be able to drill down from the top and avoid the air vent ducts.

Next task is to find a switched live for the power socket- would be better than a permanent supply for a sat nav. If all else fails I'll use a relay to trigger it from the radio's key-switched input.

1 hour ago, Wookie Monster said:

I don't have the lid/box on mine- just a plain dash top. The space where the lid would be is flat and slightly recessed, but it doesn't open. Looks like I should be able to drill down from the top and avoid the air vent ducts.

Next task is to find a switched live for the power socket- would be better than a permanent supply for a sat nav. If all else fails I'll use a relay to trigger it from the radio's key-switched input.

Follow my dash cam guide for a switched live,

Just use a piggy back fuse adapter.

The feed then becomes live with ignition 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club