Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How far can you go on a spacesaver?

ScaniaPBman

I had a puncture the other day, a screw right in the centre of the tread so eminently repairable.

Just one tiny problem, I have a run of long work shifts so it's not easy to get to a tyre shop for a day or two.

How long can I run on the spacesaver?

I have done 75 miles so far with no visible tread wear or tyre distress but there must be a limit somewhere.

Thanks in anticipation.

ScaniaPBman.

1 minute ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I had a puncture the other day, a screw right in the centre of the tread so eminently repairable.

Just one tiny problem, I have a run of long work shifts so it's not easy to get to a tyre shop for a day or two.

How long can I run on the spacesaver?

I have done 75 miles so far with no visible tread wear or tyre distress but there must be a limit somewhere.

Thanks in anticipation.

ScaniaPBman.

there's no limit how far you can go but there's a speed limit 50 miles a hour but you should get your other tyre fixed as soon as

• Like 3

The main problem with spacesavesrs is heat.  As long as it's correctly inflated (around 60psi iirc!) and you do not exceed 50mph it should be ok for days or even weeks in theory. 

They affect handling badly though so I would get it sorted asap, I know of a few people that have crashed on them, they can be lethal in the wet.

• Like 4

Just now, TomsFocus said:

they can be lethal in the wet.

I bet they can 💧

• Like 1

Yes, I am not too worried about the stress on the spacesaver, my daily run is 23 miles in a 30 zone and 2 mile in a 40 zone and on top of that I just take it easy anyway.

Your right, my next day off is when I turn up at my friendly tyre shop first thing in the morning.

Interestingly, I cannot detect any change to the noise or ride characteristics when driving to and from work when I fitted the spacesaver.

Scania PBman.

• Like 1

They are intended to just get you home not for daily use. I kept my old 16s and use one of them after getting home with a space saver. it's like driving along with plastic wheels like you used to get on the old kid bikes 😂 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

They are intended to just get you home not for daily use. I kept my old 16s and use one of them after getting home with a space saver. it's like driving along with plastic wheels like you used to get on the old kid bikes 😂 

I've got a full size for mine I hate them space savers 😊

• Like 3

I have never used a spacesaver, I'd rather call a mobile fitter.
Of course they are designed to get you off motorways etc to safety but as it is very dangerous to change wheels in that environment I would say get a recovery service out in all such cases.
I've dealt with the aftermath of a rtc on a motorway where someone got hit whilst changing an offside tyre on a major A road and it wasn't a nice experience at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

it's also illegall to take a driving test with a space saver fitted  and if its fitted in place of a road wheel it will fail the mot

And the space saver should be on the rear. 

12 hours ago, ScaniaPBman said:

Yes, I am not too worried about the stress on the spacesaver, my daily run is 23 miles in a 30 zone and 2 mile in a 40 zone and on top of that I just take it easy anyway.

Interestingly, I cannot detect any change to the noise or ride characteristics when driving to and from work when I fitted the spacesaver.

I didn't even know there were any 23 mile sections of 30, that must get boring quickly!

From experience, if you get a loud noise from a spacesaver it's usually well under inflated and will wallow around badly.  Even with proper inflation I found it very easy to pass it's limits though, particularly on wide corners or empty roundabouts at ~20mph.  Had to adapt my usual driving style very quickly.  

• Like 1

How far? I'd say no further than the proverbial piece of string! 🤔

And the space saver should be on the rear. 
Is that right?
So if get puncture on front you should swap over a rear ? Is that a legal requirement or just better for steering etc?

Why don’t you just drop the tyre to be repaired and pick it up later 

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't even know there were any 23 mile sections of 30, that must get boring quickly!

Well, it's my total daily mileage to work and back each day. Still that's 12 1/2 miles run through urban areas. I run an auto just for the relaxing drive through the traffic.

I have been starting from home at 05:30 recently so it's easy going at that time of the morning. Finish at 18:30 is not so good.

Most tyre places are closed on my way to work or on my return.

I am off today so when the rush hour traffic dies down the problem will be solved.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 2

Just to round things up.

GOOD NEWS. When I examined the Spacesaver after about 150 miles it showed no sign of tread wear, even the mould ridge on the tread centre line was clearly visible.

BAD NEWS.   Two tyre fitters at different tyre shops said that the tyre wall was too damaged for safe use after repair. I must say it didn't look all that bad to me but there you go. I had to replace an almost new tyre.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

if the sidewall was damage then it time for a new one still you got it sorted 🙂

whilst we can never be sure as we haven't seen it, I tend to think that most places don't really want to repair punctures they just want to sell you a new tyre. 

If the car was driven with the tyre flat it is likely the side walls would get damaged even if the original puncture was in the middle of the tread.

And from a liability point of view you can't really blame them for erring on the side of caution.

• Like 1

I'd think they make good profit from puncture repair too. Last time I priced, one wanted 20 quid and another 25 quid.
Thankfully last Sunday I got one repaired and gave me option of cheaper for cash at a tenner.

8 hours ago, ScaniaPBman said:

Just to round things up.

GOOD NEWS. When I examined the Spacesaver after about 150 miles it showed no sign of tread wear, even the mould ridge on the tread centre line was clearly visible.

BAD NEWS.   Two tyre fitters at different tyre shops said that the tyre wall was too damaged for safe use after repair. I must say it didn't look all that bad to me but there you go. I had to replace an almost new tyre.

ScaniaPBman.

I’d have repaired it for you lol. Trek though :lol: 

• Haha 1

I certainly don't recommend this but I regularly, almost daily, see an older BMW 3 series that has had a space saver on the front offside wheel since before Christmas! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I certainly don't recommend this but I regularly, almost daily, see an older BMW 3 series that has had a space saver on the front offside wheel since before Christmas! [emoji848]
Pretty much par for the course for BMW drivers then.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 2

Just wish they'd make indicators standard fit on BMWs as nobody seems to purchase this optional extra.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, gillyallan said:

Just wish they'd make indicators standard fit on BMWs as nobody seems to purchase this optional extra.

That "option" must be even more expensive on an Audi as even less of them seem to have them fitted! :wacko:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club