Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Sat nav installation

LazyHazy

Hi all. I have just purcased a Kuga tit x 65 plate. It has most of the bells and whistles that I require, however it does not have satnav. As it has a port for an SD card, is it possible to install the satnav software myself or is it a garage job. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi does your kuga have Sync 2, If so you can't just add the SD card for the nav. the actually Sync unit or APIM Module would need to be swapped out for a unit that came with Nav you can't add it afterwords as it's licenced in a silly way.

Ways to tell you have Nav on your Sync 2 System the Top Right corner will say insert nav sd card. and down the bottom it will have a little "i" button for information. 

If however it says Information in the top right corner. then you dont have the nav fuction.

The Sync 2 system will report your location with GPs but this is for use with the "911 Assist" or "Emergancy Assist" in Europe.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alan, it states "information" in the top right corner. Guess I will have to stick with my tomtom until I am ready to change. Sorry for the late feedback but I have been in France for a month

• 2 weeks later...

How ever there is a way to get sat nav. 

you need to find a head unit that came from a donor car that had/has Nav.

this can be done by looking up the cars vin number at etis,ford,com and checking that the car shipped with GPS.

it will show as.

•  Sync II With Navigation
  •  Rear View Camera-Fixed

just remove the touch screen from your car and swap it over insert the sd card job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Just found this guy!

He can add any fuction to the Sync 2 system! no idea how but I wish I knew.!

found it on your tube he can add heated seats the LOT ! lol

http://www.ford-retrofit.com/

• Like 1

Contracted, the guy at ford retrofit and I am going to get my head unit sorted for a few upgrades ie

Headted Seats

heated stearing wheel

park assist

reversing camera

and what ever else I can think of, will of course have to change the seats and also add the modules but should be straight forward.

Cheers

A

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all who have taken the time to view this thread. It is nice to know a retrofit can be done. However in the meantime my ford dealer has been in touch with a great offer of a new Kuga tit/sports with satnav and a whole lot more so I will be changing my car in September. Once again thanks for the interest.

Received my Unit Back from the US on Friday and fitted it on Saturday. all working. I also have the parts to retro fit the reversing Camera. He activated that option on the Unit for me.

The Heated Seats and Heated steering wheel Require an additional Module if your car doesn't have them. although you would require a few bit to make them work ie module wiring, steering wheel. same for the seats.

My car has park assist already but when I purchased my Kuga in 2013 Sync 2 was not available. only option was sync 1. So I have Retrofitted Sync 2 over the past year. hence I need to match the options My car has and get them activated on the Sync 2 unit.

I Imported MFT (My Ford Touch) AKA Sync 2 last year and began my retrofit. pic's of this are available along with all the info on this forum,

Cheers

A

How much did they charge you to upgrade your module?

I have seen quotes of up to $800 just to supply a nav enabled APIM.

Sent from my SM-G930F

If you want to install an aftermarket camera you can buy a module that plugs in between the radio and APIM module.

Not cheap but easier than locating the oem wiring and a friendly Ford mechanic you'll need to do it else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361571540141

Sent from my SM-G930F

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished installing the OEM Revering camera on my Ford Kuga. the Guys at Ford Retro Fit.com enabled the feature on my APIM Module for me (Sync2) and I connected up the camera and ran power and video from the boot lid to the sync 2 system under the carpets along with all the other cables.

I got a deal, as I was the first person to call him from the UK and he was doing 3 APIM Modules for me, But I will call him shortly and ask

re fitting the camera,

Sascha (ford Retrofit.com) enabled the reversing camera option on my apim (Sync 2 Module) shipped it via UPS paid the extra he got it in 2 days and returned it within 2 days.

I purchased the parts from ebay 

Camera,

Plastic bezel

Camera Module

ran 4 cores cable from the sync head unit to the rear of the car under the carpet Driver side following the loom wiring.

2x cores carries the video feed to the APIM Module, and 1x Carries 12 Volts 5 Amps to the control module.

Took a feed from the Rear Boot/Door for the earth and also for the MS Can bus from the Power LiftGate on my Kuga. But this can be run from elsewhere is needed.

wired up the Camera Module (using a disk i got from eBay with all the wiring diagrams for the US Escape. and cross compared with the EU etis website. as my Sync is a US Unit.

pictures below.

I also Installed the LED Tail Lamps. :) from a Titanium X

20160917_105208.jpg

20160917_105211.jpg

20160917_105223.jpg

20160917_105233.jpg

20160917_105244.jpg

20160917_105252.jpg

20160917_110131.jpg

Hi Price for Factory Navigation Install (Doesn't Include a EU SD Card but you can find them on eBay quite easily)

Just Spoken to Sacha at Ford Retro Fit and he gave me a price on activating the Factory Nav function on the Sync 2 Unit.  409.00USD + Shipping about 70-80 and 135 USD last time he shipped one of mine back.  if you use UPS 2 -3 days for it to arrive.

The Price squashes the 800 bucks from others.

This new Android option of a 10.5 Inch Screen Looks Amazing but not sure if you keep half of the functionality.

This is what they have said and the price + shipping etc from China.

Hi,dear Alan,

With CANBUS,support steering wheel control.

Preserve ALL existing functionality(e.g.show the Hybrid Vehicle status),upgrade your Mondeo stereo system,access to internet!

Special design for Ford Mondeo Fusion,ISO type connection,plug and play,no any original wires cutting required!

Easy,quick and perfect installation in your 2015 model.

Please click this Mondeo Fusion multifunctional Android system headunit(with 10.4 inch touch screen)  link for more details:

http://suavdvdgps.com/a/Full_Touch_Android_GPS/Ford_Series_andoid_GPS/2016/0413/1352.html 

For more,please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and best regards.

and this is the total cost for shipping (excluding import fee's)

Total shipping cost USD61 to your address, need 4 to 6 day time by DHL,door to door express service.

Total amount for your order: USD425+USD61=USD486 or 372.65 GBP

It is really possible to instal NAVI into your SYNC II afterwards. You have to just have a licence NAVI file - this costed me 60EUR/ 52pounds (for more info PM me). 

+ You have to have a good ELM327 cable to work with FORScan software. And that's it. I managed to try it few months ago and it worked.

The page from Alan  ford-retrofit.com/  is really expansive and everything can be done waaaay more cheaper.

• Like 2

It is easy as long as you can get the correctly coded nav licence.

It needs to be created from your cars VIN and the radio module APIM code.

Once that is sourced and installed it is a simlle case of changing the APIM hexcode with forscan (free extended licence needed) and elm cable.

There used to be a loophole on Fords Etis system to generate the nav licence for free but Ford got wise to this.

Sent from my SM-G930F

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

It is easy as long as you can get the correctly coded nav licence.

It needs to be created from your cars VIN and the radio module APIM code.

Once that is sourced and installed it is a simlle case of changing the APIM hexcode with forscan (free extended licence needed) and elm cable.

There used to be a loophole on Fords Etis system to generate the nav licence for free but Ford got wise to this.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Exactly it was free at the beginning of the year and i have missed that :( 

That is why i have paid for the extended licence because few people managed somehow to brake the Fords Etis again but they are now selling it. But it is still cheap for what you get. 

Hi So I have a login for the ford Etis platform, but not sure how and where i can find or download a navi licence file from it. I have a elm cable as well..

can anyone point me in the right direction for this, I thought I would need the ford cables to link the Etis platform to the car etc.

Cheers

A

The nav licence is downloaded fron Etis to a memory stick and installed vua USB.

The hex codes are changed via OBD using a laptop and modified ELM cable.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Hi I done some home work and editing the Hex codes to enable to option seams straight forward but how do we get access to download the file as it wont let me tells me I need to be certified or somthing.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have just got my 2013 kuga tit and it has a reversing camera but not sat nav. I googled how to upgrade and found this thread. I am bamboozled by the answers lol. For a female who knows nothing about cars is there an easy way to add nav? 

Thanks in advance

lainey