Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 Maps Software Update

jamkart

I have tried to perform the Sync 3 maps software update after downloading the latest files from the Ford Sync 3 website.  The files have been sucessfully transfered to the USB Flash drive and after starting the installation process, after about 5 minutes it fails and shows -  error code PKG_ERR03.

Has anybody else had these issues and how did you resolve it?

20190319_080014_resized.jpg

Yes - many time

all you can do is redownload it and try again - pehaps try a different "unzip" program

15 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Yes - many time

all you can do is redownload it and try again - pehaps try a different "unzip" program

I have attempted downloading and updating the files many times and I also went through this identical exercise many times in December 2018 and eventually gave up.  I have waited until recently to re-attempt the latest update with the same error responce.  Very frustrating

You're not unzipping all the files are you?
On the memory stick you should only see 2 files and one folder (full of self extracting cab files).
Also ensure the memory stick is formatted to exfat and put the files on the stick as root files and not in any other folder.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

If possible use a USB 2.0 drive not USB 3.0.

If you use a MAC then it may be opening the files, make sure you untick the box 'open safe files' in safari preferences before downloading

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, jamkart said:

I have tried to perform the Sync 3 maps software update after downloading the latest files from the Ford Sync 3 website.  The files have been sucessfully transfered to the USB Flash drive and after starting the installation process, after about 5 minutes it fails and shows -  error code PKG_ERR03.

Has anybody else had these issues and how did you resolve it?

20190319_080014_resized.jpg

I have now attemted to install the navigation updates about 10 times without success.  I have downloaded and unzipped the files on each attempt and have used 3 different unzip programs and 2 different memory sticks all resulting in the same error message after about 10 minutes into the update process.

I am following the Ford update instructions and in the past I have sucessfully updated Sync 3 last year, so I know the update process can function, but this navigation update keeps failing.

Has anybody else found a solution to complete the navigation updates?

I have now attemted to install the navigation updates about 10 times without success.  I have downloaded and unzipped the files on each attempt and have used 3 different unzip programs and 2 different memory sticks all resulting in the same error message after about 10 minutes into the update process. I am following the Ford update instructions and in the past I have sucessfully updated Sync 3 last year, so I know the update process can function, but this navigation update keeps failing. Has anybody else found a solution to complete the navigation updates? 

Hi, had the same problem as you. Did a full format of a 64gb memory stick and used both Winzip and the generic in-zipping tool in Windows twice. I then found a Sandisk 64gb class 10 sd card, formatted it as per instructions, un-zipped files again using Winzip. Tried it in the car, using a USB memory card reader, worked perfectly. I think it’s possible that some memory sticks won’t allow the data to be read as quickly as system expects, so therefore it throws an error; I may of course be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. Finally got the map update to install to F8 after about 10 attempts. No idea why it worked in the end as I did nothing different to all the other failed attempts. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I get a different error code - LST_ERR04.....

If you search that code on here you'll see another thread where people say that the Ford downloads are a total mess at the moment and a download of 0.0 is never going to work....  I've emailed Ford and await their response... 

Bei mir hat's beim 3. Versuch funktioniert, nach dem ich "Automatische System-Updates" und WLAN deaktiviert hatte und dann den USB Stick nochmal reingesteckt.

Stick: USB 3.0 32 GB exFAT

Vor dem reinstecken:

Motor aus... Tür auf... Tür zu... abschliessen... kurz warten... Tür auf... Tür zu... Motor an... Stick rein

1. English conversion from google
  2. For me it worked on the 3rd attempt, after which I had "Automatic system updates" and WLAN disabled u nd then the USB stick nochm al rein inserted.
  3. Stick: USB 3.0 32 GB exFAT
  4. Before plugging in:
  5. Engine off ... Door open ... Door closed ... close ... wait ... Door open ... Door closed ... Motor on ... Stick in
  • Like 1

Before plugging in:

Engine off ... Door open ... Door closed ... close ... Wait ... Door open ... Door open ... Motor on ... Stick in

You put your left arm in
Your left arm out
In out, in out,
You shake it all about
You do the Okey-Cokey
And you turn around
That's what it's all about
Oh, Okey-Cokey-Cokey
Oh, Okey-Cokey-Cokey
Oh, Okey-Cokey-Cokey
Knees bend, arms stretch
Rah-rah-rah

• Like 2

Ford Customer Services replied to my email with:

We are aware of issues experienced with the update facility, and our Technical team are working to resolve these concerns as quickly as able; to ensure the facility is functioning correctly, and the relevant tools are available as necessary.

We are expecting the next update to be released shortly, to provide both update for our vehicles and to address concerns that have been raised; therefore, we would recommend awaiting the latest update before reattempting. Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed date of release; but we would recommend you liaise with your local Ford Dealership for development, as they will be updated first as soon as the latest update is made available.

We do apologise for the inconvenience experienced, but appreciate you taking the time to bring this information to our attention.

I have found my dealer clueless about updates so I'm surprised Ford still think that's where I get information from...

18 minutes ago, KDA said:

Ford Customer Services replied to my email with:

We are aware of issues experienced with the update facility, and our Technical team are working to resolve these concerns as quickly as able; to ensure the facility is functioning correctly, and the relevant tools are available as necessary.

We are expecting the next update to be released shortly, to provide both update for our vehicles and to address concerns that have been raised; therefore, we would recommend awaiting the latest update before reattempting. Unfortunately, we do not have a confirmed date of release; but we would recommend you liaise with your local Ford Dealership for development, as they will be updated first as soon as the latest update is made available.

We do apologise for the inconvenience experienced, but appreciate you taking the time to bring this information to our attention.

I have found my dealer clueless about updates so I'm surprised Ford still think that's where I get information from...

They have been saying that for months, as to dealears a big dealer near me didnt know anything about any updates and didnt understand how I got F8 maps i was lucky i did my update before the system went ***** up.

2 dealers have told me they have the same problem as we do and are unable to update maps to F8 even on new vehicles they are selling that still have F7.

• 5 months later...

I was in my dealership for another issue last month and just happened to mention Sat Nav updates and was told, 'Oh, you need to speak to Shaun'.  Never had this response before and the receptionist was right, Shaun knew his stuff. 

He went online with my VIN code and agreed there was an update likely to be available.  He told me to come back in an hour whilst he would have a go at downloading it.  Fortunately the USB I have in my car with my music on was big enough and he copied the file over to that and hey presto! it worked (well, after a bit of driving around and sitting on my drive with the car running for an hour..)  It successfully updated me from Maps 6.1 to Maps 8!  Sean said my Internet was too slow at home to download it (why couldn't Ford say you need a speed of XXX to download..?) and that Sync 3 has been a real issue for Ford with lots of cars with different problems.  Presumably that's why my auto 'night/day' dimming on my touchscreen doesn't always work correctly now, whilst it did before before the Sync 3 system update earlier this year (a smaller file that my Internet could handle....?)  I haven't the heart/patience to let Ford know of this new problem.  I was so very, very lucky to have been introduced to Shaun.  Unfortunately, my dealership of 30+ years has closed and I don't where he's gone....

Anyway, Sat Nav improved - no longer am I advised to 'make a U turn now' whilst driving on the A1 near junction 55!

Shaun where are you I need you 😫

• 3 months later...

Just suffered this. The error refers to a packaging issue on one of the archive files in  the download. 

Winzip and other zip tools only unzip a 220 Mb version of the file.JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. It think it should be 1.2 Gb.

I  discovered this when I downloaded the update again and I used  7 Zip to unpack it to a stick. . It said there was a data issue with JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz. when it tried to unzip it..  I used NCH software's unzipping tool and it unzipped a 1.2 Gb version.   Ford must have used some zipping tool that behaves erratically with other software.  Will try the update again.

• Like 1

I've had this error a lot and I'm finding it infuriating! I've tried several USB sticks, and none work.

The files I was extracting from a 2.6GB zip file were only 1.2GB. I was getting errors on a couple of the files using the Windows 10 unzipper and the 7 Zip one.

I saw Graeme_r's post and followed his advice. Using an NCH extractor I got files totalling 2.6GB, which looked more like it. Howerver, I've tried installing them on a couple of different USB sticks and can't get it installed.

This is rubbish! Has anyone got any tips?

Scoggy the update failed again after I used a larger expanded set of files. I did notice that prior to it failing, the usb activity light stopped blinking. Suggests either a difficulty reading files or maybe having the space to copy them. I will persist.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:56 PM, Graeme_r said:

Scoggy the update failed again after I used a larger expanded set of files. I did notice that prior to it failing, the usb activity light stopped blinking. Suggests either a difficulty reading files or maybe having the space to copy them. I will persist.

I've replied to you on another thread with what I'm going to try next. I redownloaded the files multiple times but always with the same problems on two files.

Scoggy, this is what I put to Ford Customer service and their response:

Good evening. Having downloaded the Sync 3 update zip file for my car, it will not install.  I get the error message “PKG_ERR003.  However, this is NOT because I have unplugged the USB drive during the update.   I don't need a diagnosis to understand the issue:

I have identified that the download provided by Ford contains a corrupted file within the Zipped SyncMyRide Folder.  It is JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz  I confirmed this by scanning the download with WinZip with file extraction software.

Win Zip, 7 Zip & Express zip all report it as having invalid compressed data and it can't be extracted.

The Winzip report is shown below:

WIN ZIP report
Warnings were issued - see below for details

Testing DONTINDX.MSA
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
******* DONTINDX.MSA Tested OK
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz: Invalid compressed data to extract.
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz Tested OK
Testing SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Testing SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Testing autoinstall.lst
******* SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz Tested OK
******* autoinstall.lst Tested OK
At least one error was detected in C:\Users\graem\Desktop\SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip.
Severe Error: Compressed data is invalid.

Using the tools above,   I can unzip all the other files in the compressed SyncMyRide Folder and examine their contents.

Please can you refer this to the appropriate IT staff in Ford and ask them to provide a resolution.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We are expecting the next update to be released shortly, to provide both update for our vehicles and to address concerns that have been raised; therefore, we would recommend awaiting the latest update before reattempting. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact your local Ford Dealership for assistance with completing the update on your behalf, if you would prefer but this may incur a charge for labour.

• Like 1

Am afraid that's just a standard response they send out for almost anything to do with Sync3  ( I've had it at least twice over the past year) and therefore meaningless. 

If they release an update I'll have to go through all this again! I've finally got it installed and not got the PKG_ERR03 error. Here's a summary of how I got it installed:

13 hours ago, Graeme_r said:

Scoggy, this is what I put to Ford Customer service and their response:

[stuff deleted]

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We are expecting the next update to be released shortly, to provide both update for our vehicles and to address concerns that have been raised; therefore, we would recommend awaiting the latest update before reattempting. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact your local Ford Dealership for assistance with completing the update on your behalf, if you would prefer but this may incur a charge for labour.

As Comares2001 said, this is not a useful response and is the same response received earlier in the thread (link below) in April 2019.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club