Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3.5 - Sync 2 System - Want Carplay!!!

Deeks08

Hi All,

New to the Forum, but im a proud owner of a 20166 (66 Plate) Focus ST-Line 1.5TDCI in Blue owned since Feb 2018.

Absolutely love the car, apart from one thing - the crappy Sync 2 (V3.8) i have installed.

Image result for ford focus sync 2 8"

It is so limited in its operation, and i wondered if anyone has replaced this system with an Android unit, or Something like the Alpine carplay units.

I have been looking around and seen some head-units i like, but there doesn't seem to be any fascia plates for my model of focus (the one without the small screen at the top of the dash).

In an ideal world, i want to upgrade so enable me to have Apple Carplay, but dont want to lose the DAB function on the unit.

Has anyone had any joy replacing their head-unit, or even upgrading Sync 2 so Carplay is available, as im getting pretty sick of the poor Sync 2 system.

Any help would be appreciated (and any photos of your work if so).

Thanks guys and girls

Dan

40 minutes ago, Deeks08 said:

Hi All,

New to the Forum, but im a proud owner of a 20166 (66 Plate) Focus ST-Line 1.5TDCI in Blue owned since Feb 2018.

Absolutely love the car, apart from one thing - the crappy Sync 2 (V3.8) i have installed.

Image result for ford focus sync 2 8"

It is so limited in its operation, and i wondered if anyone has replaced this system with an Android unit, or Something like the Alpine carplay units.

I have been looking around and seen some head-units i like, but there doesn't seem to be any fascia plates for my model of focus (the one without the small screen at the top of the dash).

In an ideal world, i want to upgrade so enable me to have Apple Carplay, but dont want to lose the DAB function on the unit.

Has anyone had any joy replacing their head-unit, or even upgrading Sync 2 so Carplay is available, as im getting pretty sick of the poor Sync 2 system.

Any help would be appreciated (and any photos of your work if so).

Thanks guys and girls

Dan

Only upgrade for Sync 2 is Sync 3 for car play.  This will mean a display and module change plus some other bits including software changes. There's a thread on here covering this, but it ain't cheap unless you can find used donor parts and you don't mind stripping the console.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avi said:

you don't mind stripping the console.  

Stripping the console? More like stripping the whole interior 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Stripping the console? More like stripping the whole interior 😂😂

Na taking it to bits is the easy part, but reprogramming is probably bigger challenge. 

Although removing all the trim to get to the console and other bits might feel like the whole car. 🙂

• Like 2

With the software changes mentioned, is this dependant on the extras you have.

Bearing in mind, i have no reverse sensors, no Nav, no reversing camera or self park, is there anything else that's essential?

Will steering wheel controls still work with the upgrade system without needing to adjust the software. I assume they will be fine as they are, as it not the headunit that is replaced, but the screen and APIM.

I am desperately trying to find the part number for the USB module wiring harness in the arm rest. I have all other part numbers, but this item seems to be difficult to idenfity.

I know 4DTech in Kentucky sell these, but im reluctant to order in from USA. Any ideas on a UK part number?

https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2a/

Thanks for all your helps so far chaps!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club