Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pads and discs change

dtulip8

49 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm just curious - because oif the expense of my 'GT4' calipers, you could buy a refurb kit for it with all new seals and all the other bits to bring functionality back. Of course, it meant if it was your daily driver which mine was, was a huge inconvenience if you weren't skilled enough to do it yourself. Do Ford do a refurb kit for the caliper or is it so cheap, you just get new ones?

Ford don't supply refurb kits, they change the complete caliper.

You can buy aftermarket refurb kits on eBay etc for around £20.

Genuine calipers are around £150 each with surcharge.  Aftermarket calipers can be had for as little as £50.

All depends on budget and usage etc, plenty of choice!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Genuine calipers are around £150 each with surcharge.  Aftermarket calipers can be had for as little as £50.

Ford do list  piston and seal kits , and slider kits. Not checked all models though. 

• Like 2

Not sure I can afford to pay £150 for the caliper!

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

See what your mechanic thinks. I've had a few 'fixed' by a crow bar loosening the piston and making it travel freely again. Difficult to know what the fix will be till you get greasy!

14 hours ago, iantt said:

Ford do list  piston and seal kits , and slider kits. Not checked all models though. 

Not for the Mk2 Focus (276 Teves) as far as I'm aware, happy to be proved wrong though!

13 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

That's for a genuine caliper from the dealer...no one is buying those for 13 year old cars! :biggrin: 

Best aftermarket price I can find from a quick check is this on eBayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk2-2004-2011-Front-Left-Passenger-N-S-Brake-Caliper/332796671883?fits=Model%3AFocus|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item4d7c3a378b:g:GdsAAOSw6zNbkonf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Fronts you can, backs you can't. 

Screenshot_20190331-105912.png

• Like 1

Would you knowledgeable people recommend changing both or not to worry about that?

Well you'll need to confirm that it the caliper at fault first.  If it is, I'd recommend changing both unless one has recently been done.  But on my own car with my own money only ever change one at a time...:laugh:

• Haha 2

Totally concur with Toms advice! Definitely change both at once, unless you're tight on funds LOL

• Like 1

Well being a uni student, certainly tight on funds at the moment! And I need the car for my part time job to earn money so it’ll just be the one for now.

i'm gonna take a wild guess , based on your average students approach to vehical maintenance , and venture that the brake fluid was last changed..... er well never. - which will explain his squidgy brake feel

the Op needs to pony up some off his student loan and pay for at least new pads and a brake fluid flush before he rear ends someone.

the fact that your MOT warned you 6 months ago that your brakes are junk firmly puts all legal & moral olbligations squarely at your door so stop messing about.

;-D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, biff55 said:

i'm gonna take a wild guess , based on your average students approach to vehical maintenance , and venture that the brake fluid was last changed..... er well never. - which will explain his squidgy brake feel

That's a bit harsh, have you seen the price of baked beans these days?? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

beans or car

lifes full of tough choices , its good preparation for the real world ......

lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha the brake fluid was literally changed at Christmas so don’t think that’s the issue mate. Whilst I’d love to “pony up some student loan” it’s gone on things like food and rent so sadly funds are a bit tight. But I’m glad you with a properly paid job have given me such helpful financial advice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All sorted again, 1x new caliper on the left hand side. Car  drives like a dream again! 😀

• Like 4

Could've been worse, £60 for the part and then £50 for labour so £110 all in.

• Like 2

I just love how cheap the Focus is to fix. My GT4 last time it had a seized caliper cost me just under £400!

• Sad 1

Ouch! I guess being an extremely common car parts are always readily available and cheap.

Also when you say GT4, what car was it as I always think Cayman GT4?

45 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Also when you say GT4, what car was it as I always think Cayman GT4?

Here ya go buddy, a 1995 Toyota Celica GT4 - a real wallet buster!

2097248035_FrontLoRes.thumb.jpg.c04d619d084f18d8a91d613c905455c5.jpg

(Reckon a Cayman GT4 won't be troubled with seized calipers for a few years yet LOL)

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Here ya go buddy, a 1995 Toyota Celica GT4 - a real wallet buster!

2097248035_FrontLoRes.thumb.jpg.c04d619d084f18d8a91d613c905455c5.jpg

(Reckon a Cayman GT4 won't be troubled with seized calipers for a few years yet LOL)

Wallet buster?  I wonder how much a caliper is for a 308 GT4? :wink: :laugh: 

Image result for ferrari 308 gt4

Yes, but it doesn't matter as all Magnum has to do is leave it in and get 'Higgins' to pick up the tab LOL

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club