Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction and ESP light !

dylanbatt74

While driving home tonight and stopped in traffic, i heard a chime and the ESP light came on, along with a Engine Malfunction message on screen, i drove until i could pull over

The car was driving fine, apart from sounded like a timing issue  knocking sound then cleared ?

Anyway go home and run Forscan, and lots of DTC's

• PCM P0299-A1
  • PCM U0405-61
  • PCM U0140-A1
  • PCM P0088-61
  • ABS U2023-A0
  • EPS C1956-30
  • EPS U1900-20
  • IC U1900-20
  • GEM P0581-0F
  • GEM B2976-0F
  • GEM 2092-0F

Now i'm guessing these are prob red herrings due to some sort of network issue ? but has anyone had anything like this for pointers?

I have heard that the instrument cluster is a big issue and can cause loads of issues

Any help greatly appreciated

The car is a Focus 1.8 TDCi 2008 

14 hours ago, dylanbatt74 said:

While driving home tonight and stopped in traffic, i heard a chime and the ESP light came on, along with a Engine Malfunction message on screen, i drove until i could pull over

The car was driving fine, apart from sounded like a timing issue  knocking sound then cleared ?

Anyway go home and run Forscan, and lots of DTC's

• PCM P0299-A1
  • PCM U0405-61
  • PCM U0140-A1
  • PCM P0088-61
  • ABS U2023-A0
  • EPS C1956-30
  • EPS U1900-20
  • IC U1900-20
  • GEM P0581-0F
  • GEM B2976-0F
  • GEM 2092-0F

Now i'm guessing these are prob red herrings due to some sort of network issue ? but has anyone had anything like this for pointers?

I have heard that the instrument cluster is a big issue and can cause loads of issues

Any help greatly appreciated

The car is a Focus 1.8 TDCi 2008 

The 1st thing to do now you've recorded the codes is clear them all, that way if you find any in the future you know that they're recent and not from years ago.

• Thanks 1

usual instrument cluster dry joints / worn capacitors? car's the right age 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, what a day,

Firstly checked the Fuel filter, something in my head told me to !

Anyway was black so purchased a new Mann filter and put the new one in, piped back up and turned the key....nothing no fuel

Now i was on the understanding that the car had an electric pump in tank but i was so wrong

And no priming pump  ARHH!  had to go but a priming bulb, anyway eventually got the fuel through and started up

Cleared all faults and nothing has come back, been driving round for a few hours and seems ok?

I'm hoping this is the end of it, but Instrument cluster dry joints is my next move

Thanks guys for the input 

Loosing the will now with this,

came out this morning and started then cut out, had to pull pipe off that goes to pump and put a tube on there and suck until fuel came out

Seems like its drained back ? Is this possible I cant see any leaks around filter housing and I'm pretty sure oring in housing are ok, do you think this little original in the libe could cause this ? 

11 hours ago, dylanbatt74 said:

Loosing the will now with this,

came out this morning and started then cut out, had to pull pipe off that goes to pump and put a tube on there and suck until fuel came out

Seems like its drained back ? Is this possible I cant see any leaks around filter housing and I'm pretty sure oring in housing are ok, do you think this little original in the libe could cause this ? 

Did you install the rubber seal on top of the removable filter or below it?

Mounted seal below , but i had a broken fuel pipe, the small section between the top of the filter and the straight piece across the front of the engine, i had some rubber fuel line and made a temporary piece up  , i have a new one coming from ford, my guess is the tube is collapsing when its drawing fuel from the tank? and creating an air lock

Or at least hope thats what it is, i should have my new on Monday 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club