Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford SYNC 3 updates

Andyr55

Were you using a mac or pc?
Doesn't natively like mac unzips

Tried to update twice now , just keeps failing after about an hour, will try again later.

I used a macbook to install my sync updates without any problem , I think the answer to use the Unarchiver App as opposed to the mac inbuilt archiver.

5 hours ago, DA-RS said:

I believe the server is throttled on some way,  if you have free opensource curl installed then you can download it from the command line with a resumable command thus - 

curl -L -O -C - http://ivsu.eubinaries.ford.com/owner-package/10200162383365587409/Map_25017363174_Update.zip 

then if theres an issue just rerun the same command and it will carry on where it was interrupted.

Or use another download manager of your choosing.

I am having problems.  Downloaded the 25bg file, unzipped it to the flash drive which took ages, and when I looked it it, on the flash drive there were several files and again totalling 25gb, anyway I tried to update the car maps but all I got was something like "indexing USB files" and nothing else.  So I am lost as to what to do now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 hours ago, Martin222 said:

I am having problems.  Downloaded the 25bg file, unzipped it to the flash drive which took ages, and when I looked it it, on the flash drive there were several files and again totalling 25gb, anyway I tried to update the car maps but all I got was something like "indexing USB files" and nothing else.  So I am lost as to what to do now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also downloaded and unzipped these files but have not tried them in car yet as I am wary of doing this in a new car . I can see this update is available on many European websites so would be interested to know if anyone has successfully loaded them onto a Focus mk4 as its success could be VIN specific . Mine currently is onSync3.3 and build 18351.

There possibly lies your problem.
The files shouldn't index as it confuses them and they end up out of order.
There should be a file marked DONTINDX.MSA included in the package which stops this happening.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

56 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

There possibly lies your problem.
The files shouldn't index as it confuses them and they end up out of order.
There should be a file marked DONTINDX.MSA included in the package which stops this happening.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

When I downloaded it I had the correct 3 folders/files ie: SyncMyRide  autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA

I downloaded mine overnight, when i came to unzip the file a message saying the file was corrupt came up. It unzipped anyway but only showed two files, the autoinstall.Ist was missing. Binned the file and am now in the process of downloading the file again.

Anybody installed this in a MK4 Focus yet ?

I have also downloaded and unzipped these files but have not tried them in car yet as I am wary of doing this in a new car . I can see this update is available on many European websites so would be interested to know if anyone has successfully loaded them onto a Focus mk4 as its success could be VIN specific . Mine currently is onSync3.3 and build 18351

From looking at the Fordhacks site here https://www.fordhacks.com/community/index.php#c3

It seems to say that the map update is different for MY19 (which the Mk4 Focus is) & MY20 vehicles and therefore if that update is for MY18 vehicles then it could well cause some problems https://www.fordhacks.com/community/index.php?topic=19.0

4 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

From looking at the Fordhacks site here https://www.fordhacks.com/community/index.php#c3

It seems to say that the map update is different for MY19 (which the Mk4 Focus is) & MY20 vehicles and therefore if that update is for MY18 vehicles then it could well cause some problems https://www.fordhacks.com/community/index.php?topic=19.0

Having also checked out Fordhacks.com it does seem that the F8 download from eubinaries above can potentially screw up the Sync system on recent vehicles eg Focus mk4. So I guess we're back to waiting for Ford to sort things out

Yeah I definitely wouldn't try installing a random update to the wrong sync, although hopefully it wouldn't accept it. It's a mater of waiting on Ford on the official update site, but don't hold your Breath waiting on them.

32 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't try installing a random update to the wrong sync, although hopefully it wouldn't accept it. It's a mater of waiting on Ford on the official update site, but don't hold your Breath waiting on them.

If you read one of the posts on fordhacks someone downloaded this update and knackered the sync3 so that satnav doesn't work at all and they can't get back to F7 either.

Will people who have version 3.3 software in there cars be able to upgrade to version 3.4 eventually ?

2 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

If you read one of the posts on fordhacks someone downloaded this update and knackered the sync3 so that satnav doesn't work at all and they can't get back to F7 either.

Yes, it’s probably safer to wait and download the official F8/F9 map update from the ford website when it’s offered to us.

Do you think the reason the updates were all pulled was due to hacking?
Seems on my very quick visit to Ford hacks, the root password was discovered and Ford may be changing how updates are done.
Yay for the hackers. Who knows, we may never be able to update by ourselves again. Maybe we will need Ford to update at a dealer and at a cost......all maybe of course.

The thing is my dealer and Ford generally has made a big selling point of the fact that future updates would be free and easily updated via Wi-Fi or USB.

WiFi updates turned out to be virtually impossible due to various reasons.

We all know that USB updates have had problems with incomplete or corrupted files being offered for download.

4 hours ago, PLB said:

The thing is my dealer and Ford generally has made a big selling point of the fact that future updates would be free and easily updated via Wi-Fi or USB.

WiFi updates turned out to be virtually impossible due to various reasons.

We all know that USB updates have had problems with incomplete or corrupted files being offered for download.

Exactly this! 

Ford May be able to charge new customers but existing customers should not be charged, I don’t think they would get away with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update yesterday from Ford CRC re F8 map fiasco is that " they dont know when it will be made available for download but are  escalating again to their technical team ?". So dont hold your breath. As I pointed out to them apart from the Sat Nav mapping issue the "intelligent speed limiter " as on myvehicle,Focus 4, is rendered not fit for purpose as it relies on GPS mapping to work properly. What are they going to do when this feature becomes mandatory ?

• Thanks 1

Latest update yesterday from Ford CRC re F8 map fiasco is that " they dont know when it will be made available for download but are  escalating again to their technical team ?". So dont hold your breath. As I pointed out to them apart from the Sat Nav mapping issue the "intelligent speed limiter " as on myvehicle,Focus 4, is rendered not fit for purpose as it relies on GPS mapping to work properly. What are they going to do when this feature becomes mandatory ?

Brian, thanks for updating us regarding the F8 map update (fiasco)

Regarding the "intelligent speed limiter"

It works quite well in my Focus Mk4 even at night but as you say as far as I am aware it is relying solely on picking up the speed signs via the front mounted camera and not via GPS mapping.

Does your "intelligent speed limiter" function work using the vehicles front mounted camera?

It uses combination of GPS map data and speed sign recognition camera. Ie it uses GPS unless overridden by speed sign with different limit eg roadworks signs which is ok if data is accurate. For example in my car the other day on a road near me with 60mph limit because of roadworks that ended over 18months ago GPS decided it was still 30mph so car slowed down suddenly in traffic. Very disconcerting. I told Ford I shan't be using this feature until they sort out Map update. 

1 hour ago, Comares2001 said:

It uses combination of GPS map data and speed sign recognition camera. Ie it uses GPS unless overridden by speed sign with different limit eg roadworks signs which is ok if data is accurate. For example in my car the other day on a road near me with 60mph limit because of roadworks that ended over 18months ago GPS decided it was still 30mph so car slowed down suddenly in traffic. Very disconcerting. I told Ford I shan't be using this feature until they sort out Map update. 

Thanks for the explanation.

I have found that when traveling along a road as soon as I pass a speed sign the speed sign Icon on the dash changes immediately to indicate the speed and I assume that change is made via the traffic sign rather than GPS map data.

Usually that works quite well, but if I turn off on to a road that has no speed signs the cars speed is limited to last camera activated speed and obviously that’s where GPS map data would/should come into play.

So in my case it appears that the default is that speeds are set by actually looking at the speed signs and then that is overridden if GPS data is available.

Either way, as you quite rightly point out it should work with a combination of Speed Sigh Recognition and GPS data as confirmed in the attached information.

So let’s hope they sort out the map update soon.

Paul

Intelligent Speed Assist.jpg

I find TSR and speed alert a useful feature on the Fiesta which works well - most of the time. As you say, it is affected by GPS not being up to date, but also by signs not being picked up because they are hidden behind vegetation or simply too dirty to be read by the camera (or driver!).

All very well making these things compulsory on new cars from 2022 but it will be unreliable and therefore somewhat pointless unless GPS can be kept bang up to date and speed limit signs correctly positioned and maintained, not to mention the safety aspect of incidents such as you describe.

• Like 2

Apologies, further to my above post.

I have just had to make a short journey in the car and I did notice the traffic speed icon on the dashboard  change without me passing a traffic sign.

Therefore, obviously it must have changed due to GPS map data.

I can now obviously appreciate the importance of up to date map information for the system to work accurately.

Needless to say I haven’t used my Intelligent Speed Assist system very often so still leaning. :blushing:

• 3 weeks later...

First thing this morning the Sync update site was reporting , 'try again later'. As of about an hour ago Sync Version 3.3 Build 19052 is available for my VIN. Maybe this is a prelude to getting the F8 maps update. Now all I need to do is decide if I'm brave enough to run the update, as I'm off on holiday in a few days...

On 4/19/2019 at 1:53 PM, NortonSS said:

I downloaded mine overnight, when i came to unzip the file a message saying the file was corrupt came up. It unzipped anyway but only showed two files, the autoinstall.Ist was missing. Binned the file and am now in the process of downloading the file again.

Anybody installed this in a MK4 Focus yet ?

I have updated my MK4 twice now. No issues

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

First thing this morning the Sync update site was reporting , 'try again later'. As of about an hour ago Sync Version 3.3 Build 19052 is available for my VIN. Maybe this is a prelude to getting the F8 maps update. Now all I need to do is decide if I'm brave enough to run the update, as I'm off on holiday in a few days...

Just checked and its available for my VIN to.

I will check it out later in the week and as you say lets hope it enables us to update our maps to F8.

Actually, it may be a few days before I can update due to commitments but hopefully others will report back and confirm if the update goes smoothly for them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club