Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford SYNC 3 updates

Andyr55

So, after getting lost trying to find a new industrial estate a couple of weeks ago, I decided to check if I could update my Sync 3 maps, and found this thread 🙂

Having just read through all 7 pages, I am still non-the-wiser. 

Mine is a '17 plate Focus ST-Line and is showing Software version 2.3, Build 17109, Maps version F6.1 and hasn't been updated since July 2017. (I have only owned it for the last 6 months though).

I have checked the Ford database and it says an update is available (2.7GB), but am I correct in saying that this is just a software update that doesn't update the maps ??

1 minute ago, Phil3747 said:

So, after getting lost trying to find a new industrial estate a couple of weeks ago, I decided to check if I could update my Sync 3 maps, and found this thread 🙂

Having just read through all 7 pages, I am still non-the-wiser. 

Mine is a '17 plate Focus ST-Line and is showing Software version 2.3, Build 17109, Maps version F6.1 and hasn't been updated since July 2017. (I have only owned it for the last 6 months though).

I have checked the Ford database and it says an update is available (2.7GB), but am I correct in saying that this is just a software update that doesn't update the maps ??

Often the maps will only appear after you've done the software update and uploaded the log file.

Once it's had time to process, it should offer the map update.

Thanks for the prompt reply Alex....so I can just download the update onto my 16GB memory stick, then unzip it (??...never done that before !!) and then once inserted into the car, how long will it take to install, and will I need the engine running ??

Also, not sure what you mean by "offer the map update"...will the car ask me if I want to update maps ??

Just now, Phil3747 said:

Thanks for the prompt reply Alex....so I can just download the update onto my 16GB memory stick, then unzip it (??...never done that before !!) and then once inserted into the car, how long will it take to install, and will I need the engine running ??

Also, not sure what you mean by "offer the map update"...will the car ask me if I want to update maps ??

It's faster to extract the files to your PC and then copy them to the USB stick, you'll need to make sure the USB stick is either FAT32 or exFAT format too.

You insert in to the car with the engine running (I normally turn off stop-start too) and software update usually takes about 10-20mins depending on the speed of your drive.

Map updates can take over an hour.

Once the update is complete it will say you can remove the stick, it will have left a log file in the Syncmyride folder, which when you check again on the ford site, it should give you the option to say you've done the update and upload it.

Once the Ford servers process that the update is done, it should then provide a download for the maps on their site. This might take a few days, or it might be instant.

There should be a nice guide/pdf on the Ford update site to help walk you through it too.

Cheers Alex....whilst I'm quite good with computers, I'm no expert, but will give it a go.

I had a tentative "mess" with it about an hour ago having connected to my wi-fi but it ended up with the screen freezing, so I switched it off, locked the car, left it a few minutes and then switched it back on and all is now fine again 😁😁

I formatted the USB stick on my laptop running Windows 10, by just right-clicking on the drive...is that sufficient ??

***UPDATE - forget last ...just gone back in and saw I could change it from NTFS to exFAT ***

Okay...just downloaded and un-zipped the download and there are 2 files ...autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA  and 1 folder ...SyncMyRide….do I drag them all across onto the memory stick ??

Yeah should have the two files and syncmyride folder on the root of the drive.

• Like 1

Slight progress this time, we got as far as the sync 3 saying it was indexing and indexed the stick and then nothing else. I’d been for a hours drive to let in update so I’m not sure there’s much more I can do[emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it says indexing then the files can't be in the right place.

DONTINDX.msa is literally to tell the system, Don't Index.

Literally sat in the car updating mine now....put the USB stick in and it said "UPDATING SOFTWARE...." for about 20 mins then to eject USB. Just done that, switched off and back on again and now have the normal home screen on with "LOADING...." in the top right box.

3 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

Literally sat in the car updating mine now....put the USB stick in and it said "UPDATING SOFTWARE...." for about 20 mins then to eject USB. Just done that, switched off and back on again and now have the normal home screen on with "LOADING...." in the top right box.

How long did you leave the car? Its best to turn it off, lock it and give it 20 mins or so.

About 30 seconds after locking it first !!

How long should it take to fully load ???

If it says indexing then the files can't be in the right place.
DONTINDX.msa is literally to tell the system, Don't Index.

What order should they be in the usb drive?? I maybe moved them when I unzipped them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were the SyncMyRide folder first, then autoinstall, then DONTINDX.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what order they appear when you look at the drive, that's just a sort of the file explorer you're using, it doesn't change the data.

But the two files and syncmyride folder must be on the root of the drive, not in a subfolder.

• Like 1

Still loading after about 45 minutes...is that normal ??

1 hour now and still going...looking in General Settings and it now says Software Version 3.0, Build 18025, Maps F6.1, so it has installed it, but still loading though ???

Just lock the car and leave it for 20mins, probably hasn't finished it's maintenance.

Okay...have done...will update you....👍

😁😁👍....seems to have sorted it...you are a star Alex.

Will update the Ford site and get the map update and see what happens then 👍.

The maps are 2 stage updates. It'll update then ask for a key cycle. Ie lock it up 5 mins before it'll do the 2nd stage

Just now, gillyallan said:

The maps are 2 stage updates. It'll update then ask for a key cycle. Ie lock it up 5 mins before it'll do the 2nd stage

Its because there are map files, then map voice files.

4 hours ago, gillyallan said:

Ok...I've just started downloading the maps onto my laptop and it is saying it's a 23.3 GB file and will take 2hrs 13 mins to download 😲😲

I assume it's the same procedure to upload it into the car, copy to USB stick then insert into car ???

Will have to go buy a bigger USB stick, if that's the case !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club