Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus zetec s 1.8tdci 2009

anthony89b

Looking at getting a ford focus zetec s1.8 tdci 2009 just wondering if anybody can give me some advice on it good car etc what to watch out for its done 62k thanks people 

I like the 1.8tdci engine. Because it is simpler than the 1.6 and 2.0 , it does not have a DPF so you don't need to worry about that. It is reckoned to be a much more bullet proof engine than the others, but it is less refined and more tractor like. It is based on a much older engine than the others. So if you prefer to have something that is more likely to keep going and going and going, it is good, but if smooth refinement is more important to you then you might find the engine a bit unrefined.

They have a dual mass flywheel in them. This can be noisy when it gets worn. You get a load of noise on tickover which goes away when you put your foot on the clutch. The wear results in a load of iron filings in there which then sticks to the starter motor cog area (due to the magnets in the starter motor) which can then cause starter motor problems. They don't all get to the stage where you have to fix something, sometimes they go for a long long time after it gets noisy. 

Dual mass flywheel wear is probably not really linked to mileage, eg. if someone drives it in 5th gear all the time when 4th would be better, then that probably causes wear in the flywheel.  I don't actually know if the other size diesels have a dual mass flywheel or not. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate im moving from a 2ltr 118d 1 series bmw didn't like the engine in it to be honest had a bit of power but not as much as I expected from a 2ltr was a 2010 plate wrote it off Monday and the focus is cheaper to insure than a bmw seen a nice blue zetec s version that i like I will text drive it tomorrow 

2 hours ago, anthony89b said:

Thanks mate im moving from a 2ltr 118d 1 series bmw didn't like the engine in it to be honest had a bit of power but not as much as I expected from a 2ltr was a 2010 plate wrote it off Monday and the focus is cheaper to insure than a bmw seen a nice blue zetec s version that i like I will text drive it tomorrow 

I've got an early MK2 1.8 TDCi, always been serviced ands till on the original clutch, DMF, turbo, injectors and high pressure fuel pump @ 159K miles.  As mentioned above it's not a very refined engine but with no DPF and a cast iron head, you've really got to go some to break one of these.

Unfortunately there is 1 bit of bad news, Focus with a build date 07/2008-12/2009 had a bad batch of Siemens injectors fitted with the main issue being premature failure usually between 30K-75K miles and replacing 4 injectors is a VERY expensive job.

The MK2 is a pretty solid car, agile but vulnerable to rust on the sills and leading edges of the wheel arches.  A 2009 model will be due a timing belt change (10 years) and thanks to Ford deciding to change the lower chain for a belt (earlish 2008 or thereabouts) you'd need to make sure you budget for this job including this lower belt which some garages won't be aware of.  Other than that, I really can't think of much else bad to say about it.  Just remember the usual used car stuff like checking the fluids, try to get some decent service history and if it doesn't feel right then walk away.

Edit - I tell a lie, 1 more potential issue.  At the top left hand side of the engine (when looking back at the car) there's a short 90 degree intercooler hose that tends to go brittle and eventually crack, leading to a boost leak and loss of performance.  Fortunately a silicone replacement via eBay should be less than £10, will last longer than the car itself and it's easy to fit, just loosen the jubilee clip at each end and pull.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anthony89b said:

Looking at getting a ford focus zetec s1.8 tdci 2009 just wondering if anybody can give me some advice on it good car etc what to watch out for its done 62k thanks people 

My 1.8 is over 170k now, and still going very nicely.

If anything I might be concerned about the low mileage at 62k on a 10 year old car, but with no DPF and a tough cast iron engine, the 1.8 can tolerate low mileages and short journeys better than most diesels.

If it is late 2009, then you should be clear of the 2008 injector crisis, but in fact that seems to be dying down now, I suspect most cars that had the duff batch have either been scrapped or had the injectors done by now.

Intercooler hoses are a common problem on most Fords. I had the one from the intercooler up to the metal duct by the expansion tank go last year. I diagnosed it immediately, due to reading about it on this site mostly, the fix was cheap (£15 for the hose), but an absolute pig to replace. However just a minor irritant overall.

I do get quite a lot of rust around the rear suspension, brakes and hubs area. Good doses of various rust preventers (phosphoric acid & Waxoyl for me) seem to have it under control though. Later cars may be better.

Overall, it is a very good car to drive, I find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

My 1.8 is over 170k now, and still going very nicely.

Wow fair play to you Peter 👍

• Thanks 1

I have the 1.8 TCDI in my 2004 MK1 dual mass flywheel went at 44.000,timing belt changed at 84000, turbo blew at 87000.109000 miles on and it’s running smooth, pulls well up hills ,I’m happy👍

Just to expand on what 1979damian said about the timing belt.

Early 1.8tdci engines had a chain from the crank up to the high pressure diesel pump and then a belt from the high pressure diesel pump up to the camshaft.

Ford then revised it so the chain was replaced by a rubber belt, which runs in oil.   So it has two timing belts, the lower one running in oil (and a fair bit of work involved in replacing it), the upper one being an easier job and not in oil.

So if you are looking at service documents and it mentions a belt being replaced, it might only be one of the two.

• Like 1

1 previous owner from new full service history 12 month mot and service just dome pick it up Thurs. Pic below not bad drives good better than my 118d 2010 bmw 1 series too heavy and low for me

20190323_131342.jpg

Also that isn't me in the picture haha

10 minutes ago, anthony89b said:

1 previous owner from new full service history 12 month mot and service just dome pick it up Thurs. Pic below not bad drives good better than my 118d 2010 bmw 1 series too heavy and low for me

20190323_131342.jpg

As an added benefit, now that you're a Ford driver you've got a decent chance of being let out at junctions which will probably be a novel experience with you having come from a BMW! :thumbup:

Oh and it's looks tidy in that shade of blue with the body kit.

Haha that's good to know mate! Ye love it best look there is in the diesel version this 1. Going to get an aftermarket sat nav dab etc off eBay this week for it any suggestions people?

Its a 59 plate btw hope that avoids the ***** injectors haha

17 minutes ago, anthony89b said:

Haha that's good to know mate! Ye love it best look there is in the diesel version this 1. Going to get an aftermarket sat nav dab etc off eBay this week for it any suggestions people?

You've basically got 2 options to get something decent, you can either go for a high spec Android 8 head unit that's designed to look factory fit i.e. it will fit in the oval shape fascia without any blanking plates/trim and will come with the loom/canbus so things like the steering wheel controls should just work once you've plugged everything in.  I recently contributed to this thread where the Op end up taking the exact same route/unit I did for my own MK2.  You can choose what capability you want i.e. DAB+ or TPMS etc by adding different modules to the basic unit.  (The thread has links to the specific head unit).

The alternative is to go for something from the big names such as Pioneer, it will be the standard double din size so won't look factory fit and you'll need to budget for the appropriate fitting kit (fascia and wiring).

The only real possible negative with taking the Android route is the unit won't support "Android Auto" so although you can connect your phone via bluetooth for music/handsfree etc, you can't make the head unit behave exactly like your phone i.e. you have to have separate apps installed on the head unit.  The plus points are it looks much more like it was factory fit, you don't need to buy any additional fitting bits and you can install whatever Android apps you want on it.

Taking the double DIN (big name) route has the benefit of being able to choose a unit that supports Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay but you'll be limited to having to use the apps that come installed on it, it'll possible cost a little bit more as well.

Besides cost it really comes down to what you're wanting feature wise.

Defo going for the fitted android 1 mate get the full lot on it and no messing with facia or wiring ideal cheapest iv ever seen at 150 to 300 quid because usually you need a full kit with that. The bmw fascia kit was 120 on its own hahaha

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, anthony89b said:

Defo going for the fitted android 1 mate get the full lot on it and no messing with facia or wiring ideal cheapest iv ever seen at 150 to 300 quid because usually you need a full kit with that. The bmw fascia kit was 120 on its own hahaha

Just make sure you get the right model, the cheapo models either run on Windows CE (so no installing apps) or have low hardware specs i.e. only 1 or 2 GB of RAM, I tried the 1GB RAM unit and it choked, there wasn't enough RAM for MediaMonkey and Google Maps to run for longer than 3 minutes!  My own fault for trying to get away with a unit that had similar hardware specs to a Samsung S2 from 2011! :withstupid:

U think the 2gb ram will be ok? 

Going to get the pumpkin 1 it's reduced from 300 to 270 at min on their website it's 4gb best 1 out there by looks of it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anthony89b said:

Going to get the pumpkin 1 it's reduced from 300 to 270 at min on their website it's 4gb best 1 out there by looks of it

Yup, definitely make sure it's got 4GB RAM, that way you shouldn't have any problems running multiple apps at the same time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club