Do Not Sell My Personal Information

loss of power

shocks

Hi All,

My Edge has started this week losing power when i'm travelling at 70-75mph up a hill. The spanner light with the "see manual" message appears and it will still keep its speed, but with no "oomph" when I press the pedal! I have pulled over and turned off and restarted and this has solved the problem but its done it in my last 3 journeys at exactly the same place in the road.It has only done it once per journey, no more than ten minutes in.  The rest of the journeys have been fine.Has anyone got an idea what the problem could be? It is booked in for "pulley" recall and I have  told Ford about this problem! Also will any fault be stored on in the car even though It clears with a restart. TIA

20 hours ago, shocks said:

Also will any fault be stored on in the car even though It clears with a restart

The engine is going into 'limp home' mode is usually a faulty sensor. It reduces the power because it goes into a mode that doesn't rely on the sensors (open loop). This means you don't get the power you would when the engine it being controlled optimally (closed loop). Limp home mode therefore protects the engine from damage. Whilst it resets at an ignition cycle, the fault will still be logged in the ECU, and the sensor that caused it. You really should get it to a dealer ASAP. A sudden loss of power can leave you in a very dangerous situation. I've had it in my old Kuga pulling into a busy roundabout ... not a pleasant experience for me or the guy that almost T-boned me!!!!

The time into the journey suggests it may be triggered when a DPF re-gen is started. Which was the fault on my Kuga. The diesel injector and sensor for the DPF was blocked and needed replacing.

Certain non-critical faults are reset fully at each ignition cycle. Some take a number of ignition cycles, with no re-occurrence of the fault, before they are cleared. Some critical faults are never cleared until reset by a diagnostic service tool. Anything emissions related (which is most engine control and exhaust sensors) never clear unless by a tool. If you really want to know whats wrong with it, buy a cheap OBDII tool off amazon (£5 to £30) and see what fault codes are present, then post the codes here. Might save you a fortune of a 'rouge' dealer trying to fleece you for something else too.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. I will try a OBDII tool if I can find one suitable. I will post the outcome either by Ford or anything that happens before then! I assume sensors etc are covered under the warranty. 18 months old and 10500 miles.

15 hours ago, shocks said:

I assume sensors etc are covered under the warranty

Should be!

As with Simon above, my Kuga did exactly this and it was a faulty DPF sensor. 

I've not had any loss of power issues but when my car was in for some warranty work last year, they told me that the DPF sensor was giving off faults and they had replaced it

Anyway I phoned my local Ford dealer asking if I could bring the car down for a diagnostic check and they said no! They couldn't fit me in but said I have breakdown cover if there is a problem. I've taken the car out for a long journey since and had no problem at all. Maybe it isn't all bad!! I'll keep you updated when it goes in for recall and diagnostics check next week.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Had exactly the same, only under hard acceleration. Fixed at first service.

Had something similar, always uphill under load, took a couple of dealer visits to fix. Fault codes were P06DD engine oil pressure control circuit performance/stuck off and P06DE engine oil pressure control circuit stuck on. Dealer replaced oil pressure solenoid I think.

i have had the same power loss going up hill at 70mph.stopped car,restarted,all ok.still under warranty.must get the dpf sensor looked at.thank you for your help.barry.

UPDATE: My Edge has been to the dealers and they have replaced an oil Pressure Solenoid. I've given it a run and seems ok so far although the power loss was only happening occasionally. Time will tell but I'm confident they have identified the right part! I will update again if anything changes in relation to this! Thanks

Hi,

I've got a 2016 Ford Edge which has been demonstrating exactly the same fault as described in this thread. My dealer also replaced the oil Pressure sensor / solenoid but the car had the same fault the next day. Just been in again for service / Pulley recall and an extended time to try to find the source of the problem. I suspected DPF regen issues or possibly Active Vane fault. Car back now with no issues identified so bought an OBD reader from Halfords and hope to catch the error code next time it happens.

• 2 years later...

My 2018 Ford Edge 2lt sport power shift  loses power but only so far when towing the caravan, lost power 18 times in the fornight i was away, when overtaking a lorry and you accelerate  the car loses power and your stuck in the middle lane, then you have to drift back in behind the vehicle you were trying to overtake and pull into the hard shoulder turn off the engine and restart then pull out into traffic hoping it doesdnt lose power, ***** dangerous, had at the dealers when this first happened a couple of months ago, said they had reset everything and carried out an update on the cars computer.

It is booked into the dealership on the 14th October to, in thier words see if its the same fault, which i am 100% sure it is.

Love the car, its a great car to drive but have lost confidence in it now as this fault is dangerous at the best of times but when towing a caraven its ten times worse, it had only done 7000 miles when I bought it in June, I have said to them it seems to be a fault with Fords. Spoke to a guy on facebook who said it happened with his 3.2 ford ranger, i have a pal whos in the police who says 2 of thier ford kugas lose power when pulling out and accelerating, they been in and out of the garage for the past year still not right.   

4 hours ago, Gordon 1010 said:

My 2018 Ford Edge 2lt sport power shift  loses power but only so far when towing the caravan, lost power 18 times in the fornight i was away, when overtaking a lorry and you accelerate  the car loses power and your stuck in the middle lane, then you have to drift back in behind the vehicle you were trying to overtake and pull into the hard shoulder turn off the engine and restart then pull out into traffic hoping it doesdnt lose power, ***** dangerous, had at the dealers when this first happened a couple of months ago, said they had reset everything and carried out an update on the cars computer.

It is booked into the dealership on the 14th October to, in thier words see if its the same fault, which i am 100% sure it is.

Love the car, its a great car to drive but have lost confidence in it now as this fault is dangerous at the best of times but when towing a caraven its ten times worse, it had only done 7000 miles when I bought it in June, I have said to them it seems to be a fault with Fords. Spoke to a guy on facebook who said it happened with his 3.2 ford ranger, i have a pal whos in the police who says 2 of thier ford kugas lose power when pulling out and accelerating, they been in and out of the garage for the past year still not right.   

Biggest issue when you loose power under heavy power demands, it is usually down to a faulty oil pressure sensor/switch, which on the Edge is mounted in the casting where the oil filter screws in to. It's a common problem (not just on the Edge), but so far my 2016 Edge hasn't suffered with it! 

See this thread ... 

• Like 1