Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant leak - likely suspect?

StephenFord
聽Share

In the last few weeks I have had to top up my coolant with about 2 liters. Each time I fill to 'max' and on checking again a week later, level has dropped again. Obviously it's going somewhere, but I haven't been able to even see a drip on my driveway though it's been that wet that may be hidden by our rain! Any likely suspects you can suggest? Temperature gauge remains totally at 'normal'.

What model is yours?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

What model is yours?

馃榾

1552994637_fordmodel.jpg.1a29245998d80688fbb30a5bd12ab311.jpg

[emoji3]
1552994637_fordmodel.jpg.1a29245998d80688fbb30a5bd12ab311.jpg
Lol I'm on tapatalk and it doesn't display that.

• Like 1

Apologies buddy, I don't have a smartphone, so just assumed that everyone got the full forum experience...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

In the last few weeks I have had to top up my coolant with about 2 liters. Each time I fill to 'max' and on checking again a week later, level has dropped again. Obviously it's going somewhere, but I haven't been able to even see a drip on my driveway though it's been that wet that may be hidden by our rain! Any likely suspects you can suggest? Temperature gauge remains totally at 'normal'.

If it's dropped below minimum in that time, it may just be air in the system and that's where I'd start.聽 I would bleed it by topping up the coolant聽to max and then running the engine with the cap off up to operating temp (you may need to take it for a drive to achieve so take some coolant with you).聽 If there's air in there it should rise to the top and the level will drop, then top up and see if you're still losing coolant after that.

• Like 2

OK, I've now just bled the system as per your instructions, and let it gurgle away for about 10 minutes, then filled it up to 'max'. Will keep an eye on it and will report back if it's a success, or come to think of it, even if it';s a failure LOL Thanks for the tip...

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

OK, I've now just bled the system as per your instructions, and let it gurgle away for about 10 minutes, then filled it up to 'max'. Will keep an eye on it and will report back if it's a success, or come to think of it, even if it';s a failure LOL Thanks for the tip...

Did the level drop a fair bit?聽 Lets hope it's just a bit of air in there and nothing else.聽 Glad to be of help 馃檪

It did drop from Max to Min, and during some 'gurgling', it went up well past Max before settling down again (got a bit concerned when it did that LOL), but it's all settled down now. If it does work, it was a very cheap fix, something I'm not used to where a car is involved!

• Like 2

Just wanted to report back that the 'cure' seems to be holding, and not only that, it also seems to have cured my electric fan switching on all the time as even with a completed 20 mile fast run with the A/C full on, the fan didn't trigger on at all!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club