Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 2.3 petrol automatic - steering whining noise

liorm84

Just bought a 2010 model.

Yes, it is duratec 2.3 petrol with automatic gearbox.

I have a strange noise at mornings.

After about a minute of driving, there is whining noise that become louder if I accelerate or turning the steering wheel.

The whining going off after about 15 minutes of driving.

There is enough steering fluid.

I know that pervious owner just changed the steering fluid reservoir and the oil about a month ago.

The steering itself is smooth.

What do you think?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, liorm84 said:

After about a minute of driving, there is whining noise that become louder if I accelerate or turning the steering wheel.

The whining going off after about 15 minutes of driving.

I am assuming it is belt driven PAS, not EHPAS. The spares info I have seen suggests belt driven.

It could be almost anything on the aux belt. Alternator load is highest early in a drive cycle, you may have extra load on like heated screens etc, and the battery is being recharges after a start. Idler/tensioner pulleys can be noisy if worn, which may also be load dependant.

The extra load when turning the wheel will add to the other loads on the belt.

Removing the belt and checking for play or roughness in any of the pulleys is one test. Monitoring battery voltage for good alternator function is another. Also listening to try to locate the sound might be possible. I would suggest a rubber tube type stethoscope, but so near the belt this could be a bit dodgy!

So in your opinion, this is not likely to be the steering pump?
The whining starts not right away but after a minute and only when accelerate (and on top when accelerating with turning the steering). This whining goes away after 10+ minutes and not exist when the car is hot.
One of the garages suggest to replace steering hoses as in their opinion and practice this is the problem (whining until the steering fluid warms up).

13 minutes ago, liorm84 said:

One of the garages suggest to replace steering hoses as in their opinion and practice this is the problem (whining until the steering fluid warms up).

That sounds quite an expensive job. I would definitely try to eliminate other possible causes first.

I do work with pressure and flow (in industrial situations), I can not see a good reason why replacing hoses should make any difference to a whine from the pump. But I have no direct experience of this car or steering type.

I don't know, but the whining is definitely related to the steering. Even on parking, if I steering, the noise become louder.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after few weeks that I didn't have time and the noise became worse I eventually put my Max at the garage. They replaced the o ring on the steering pipe + steering fluid and also replaced some polley tensior with new belt.
Finally, no more whining. I'm happy.